Parenting

Does anyone else not watch the news?

I feel like since I had children, the news really gets to me.  It does not help that we live about 45 minutes outside of Detroit so murders/crimes against children and rapes are a dime a dozen.  There is so much bad news I would rather be drowning in a land of Nick Jr then be well informed.  On the other hand, being uninformed makes me feel like such a clueless twit when my co workers do discuss world events.  Perhaps I should assign myself homework of sitting through at least one broadcast a day?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Does anyone else not watch the news?

• We typically watch the news for a little bit before going to bed but I get most of the information off of the internet.
  • I very rarely do. It does get to me and that's one reason why I don't, I also just forget to turn the TV off of Netflix.
    252855_10150214241312114_262494087113_7012916_3895481_n-2Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker Siggy check.
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't because it's sad and frustrating and confusing. When I do watch the news, it is usually BBC.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I have found myself watching less and less. It's hard, I've always been one to want to know what is going on in my world around me, but find myself more and more neurotic after watching the news. I try and get most of my news solely from the internet, I can pick and choose what to be informed about that way.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I hate our local news stories are dumb, they are blatantly onesided when it comes to politics, and I get tired of all the crime sensationalizing. I mostly listen to NPR when I'm driving to and from work, and feel like that keeps me adequately informed.
    imageimage
  • This is why I read the national news online. The local news is either too close to home or just full of nitwits talking about the latest hoedown. 
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Not in front of DS.  They show such graphic images and share such tragic stories. 

I still remember my mom watching the news from the San Fransisco Earthquake of 89 when that freeway pancaked.  I was terrified of parking garages from that moment on.  I just wasn't old enough to process what a rare "perfect storm" that was.  I don't want DS to see things he can't unsee.  Eventually he'll discover that terrible things happen in this world, I want that day to be as far away as possible.

• I've completely stopped watching just because I can't get over some of the stories, too sad and depressing for me.
  • I'm still a news junkie. I wish I could tune out like you I just can't! I live about 15 minutes outside of Detroit...and yeah, a lot of violence happening very close by. I've always felt some strange urge to be informed.

C is 3 years old

• I don't watch it either. It gets to me too. All of the stories are so negative and I don't need that jumbled up in my head. I worry enough on my own!

• I do not watch the local news much.  It's damn depressing & like PP said, not really news.  I like BBC news for actual news.  I despise over sensationalized cr@p that turns out to be much ado about nothing. 
  • imagekfrix13:
    We typically watch the news for a little bit before going to bed but I get most of the information off of the internet.

This. There's not much on the news that I haven't already seen on the internet. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers image Mom to 4, pregnant with 2
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"