3rd Trimester

Hospital room.. smell?

Ok - so I know.. I wont' care one darn bit when I'm actually in labor - but we toured our hospital yesterday and man - both DH and I noticed the smell when we walked into the room - we will deliver at a hospital where short of a c section everything is in one room - aka - labor, delivery, recovery - all in one room - so the smell.. well it would stay with us a long time.

I know I wouldn't be able to light candles - and I worry about any spray (too strong) - but maybe method lavender wipes? - pot porrie?  (sp on that I know thats horrid) - anyone? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Hospital room.. smell?

• My hospital is the same way and I didn't notice any smell. Did you ask them about it? I would have if I had noticed.

I'm sure it needs to be very thoroughly disinfected in between patients, so I can't imagine how or why a smell would linger. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I would check hospital policy on fragrance due to allergy concerns. Maybe bring something with you that smells like home and open the window?
  • Loading the player...
  • One idea I have heard and which we might do is to bring a little container of cotton balls scented with vanilla or another scent that relaxes you. It seems a bit strange but hey, whatever helps. I'm sure you're right and when in labor you probably won't notice a smell, but you could always have this with you just in case. Sorry about the stinky room and I hope it won't be like that when you actually go there to deliver :)
    Married August 14, 2011 Gave birth to our beautiful baby girl on September 17, 2012
  • Essential oils -- you can put some on your own pillow and bring that or on your pressure points if you can handle that.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Bring a box of baking soda with you if the hospital does not allow fragrances. Scatter dishes of it around the room. 

imageimageimage

September Signature Challege (May 2015 BMB):

LEAFING!

• I should clarify the smell - it smelled like disinfectant - it wasn't that it was stinky smelly - bad - it was it was STRONG hospital smell - like when you go to a nursing home.  We didn't notice it in the hallway and I have been there for two seperate births and didn't notice the rooms smelling like that before.  (I have not had overly strong smell with this pregnancy) and DH was like - it smelled like used baby.  (he isn't the best on explaning things)

We were in a tour and I was the only one out of 20 people that asked any questions and honestly didn't want to be like - so do all rooms smell like this?  Especially since the tour gal was not liking me as I asked about binky policy :)

Maybe i'll call - or maybe I"ll just bring cotton balls with essential oils - the worse they can say is put them away :)  And I'm bringing my own pillow - I'll make sure the case is freshly laundered with our detergent and stuff - that will help me at least :)  Dh can .. deal :) 

• Ok, that's better. I was really concerned about what kind of smell you were referring to!

I would definitely bring some oils or scented lotion. I would also bet that after a few minutes, your nose will "adjust" and you won't even notice it anymore.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• imageterrichael:
    One idea I have heard and which we might do is to bring a little container of cotton balls scented with vanilla or another scent that relaxes you. It seems a bit strange but hey, whatever helps. I'm sure you're right and when in labor you probably won't notice a smell, but you could always have this with you just in case. Sorry about the stinky room and I hope it won't be like that when you actually go there to deliver :)

The lady that taught our birthing class told us the cotton ball thing too, that way you can place them around the room but if the smell starts to bother you they can easily be removed. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would be very careful about bringing scents to the hospital. Most hospitals and doctor's offices here are scent free zones. I definitely agree with the person above. I would quickly call the hospital and ask about there policy before bringing anything. Your scent you bring could possibly trigger a horrible allergic reaction for someone else. Could you imagine being in labor and having that happen to you???
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • You could also try the Yankee Candle or Bath & Body works gel car air fresheners. Hang one or two up near the bed.
  • maybe they had just cleaned the room?  Hopefully it's better when you need it to be!
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageskate88:
    I would be very careful about bringing scents to the hospital. Most hospitals and doctor's offices here are scent free zones. I definitely agree with the person above. I would quickly call the hospital and ask about there policy before bringing anything. Your scent you bring could possibly trigger a horrible allergic reaction for someone else. Could you imagine being in labor and having that happen to you???

Though I agree with you and certainly will ask when I go in next (my docs office at the hospital so its easy to walk up and ask) - this is MY room - so its just my drs nurses that I would be effecting outside of me and my 'possy' - its a private room and is all rooms in one (which is not the norm at all hospitals I get) but I won't be moving rooms - and I certainly wouldn't do anything that would linger after removal and cleaning. 

• put dryer sheets in your pillow case and suitcase 
  • imagedoggylovr:
    put dryer sheets in your pillow case and suitcase 

Ooh simple and easy :)  Love it! 

• imageopaque1997:

imageskate88:
    I would be very careful about bringing scents to the hospital. Most hospitals and doctor's offices here are scent free zones. I definitely agree with the person above. I would quickly call the hospital and ask about there policy before bringing anything. Your scent you bring could possibly trigger a horrible allergic reaction for someone else. Could you imagine being in labor and having that happen to you???

Though I agree with you and certainly will ask when I go in next (my docs office at the hospital so its easy to walk up and ask) - this is MY room - so its just my drs nurses that I would be effecting outside of me and my 'possy' - its a private room and is all rooms in one (which is not the norm at all hospitals I get) but I won't be moving rooms - and I certainly wouldn't do anything that would linger after removal and cleaning. 

Perhaps your doctor will have some suggestions?! I just know that although it is your room, people will be coming in and out of it and scents linger. Anything people have suggested above won't work in a scent free hospital. One thing I could suggest is putting a bit of Vic Vapor Rub under your nose if the smell really bothers you (if in fact you can not have scents in your room). I used this in my labs and you don't smell anything except the Vics. It's not too bad of a scent and it would be allowed in a scent free hospital.

• They probably just cleaned the room. I wouldn't be worried about a disinfectant smell. There are worse smells out there.
  • You very well may notice it during labor. Some women have major scent issues while laboring. I'd check what the hospital will allow you to bring and then be prepared.
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"