Parenting
Options

Constipation: when to call a doctor

We've never had an issue like this before.

L is a once/twice a day pooper usually.  He didn't go yesterday.  Then today he's gone 4 times between noon and 8pm.  Each time he screamed and cried at the top of his lungs in pain and was shaking from the effort or pain.  He was able to pass bowel movements each time but they were definitely harder than his normal. No blood in/on them.  

After supper I went out and bought some strained prunes and he ate a whole jar in a sitting.  He ate high fiber foods all day and I pushed the water. Then about an hour later was his last painful BM.

While I feel horrible for him, I don't really know if this warrants a call to the doctor.  My fiance (his dad) on the other hand is all worried and always jumps to thinking he needs to go to urgent care.  

What would you do? Do I ride it out for a couple days before calling the pediatrician? Or do I call if it happens again tomorrow after these prunes go through him?

TIA. 

image image

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Constipation: when to call a doctor

• Options
    I'd follow up with dr in am. Hopefully worst is over for today. Poor kiddo
    Wendy Twins 1/27/06. DS and DD
  • Options
    pedia lax.  It's in a bulb form and sold at any grocery or drug store.  It's works in a few minutes.  They will just go once.  It was my saving grace many times.  It's totally safe for two months and up.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageougrad1:
    pedia lax.  It's in a bulb form and sold at any grocery or drug store.  It's works in a few minutes.  They will just go once.  It was my saving grace many times.  It's totally safe for two months and up.

By bulb do you mean a suppository? I checked out that aisle at Walmart and don't remember seeing that brand.  Maybe it's not sold up here?  I was/am really hoping I don't have to get as invasive as that.  But obviously one time discomfort would be better than days of pain.  Poor kiddo. 

image image

• Options
    It is a suppository.  The little bulb as mineral oil or something like it  to quickly soften up the poop.  They go one time and done.  It isn't mushy or gross when the go at all.  There isn't any residual side effects either.  It was just a one time, gotta go kind of thing that was over in anywhere from five to ten minutes in a very normal poop kind of way.  : )  it's great.  When I used it, we were honestly all much happier.  GL-
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We have had a consistent problem with this since my LO was a year old and even had to have xrays to see what was going on. He eats plenty of fiber and fruits but for some reason has issues with this. We were told to use 2 teaspoons of miralax a day. It is a stool softener not a stimulant so it gradually works. We sometimes also use a dark Karo syrup in his milk. I would at least call the doctor and ask one of the nurses if he/she had a recommendation on what you should from this point. 
  • Options
    I just called our nurse and she suggested a glycerin suppository since he's still in pain.  I was hoping to avoid that but it seems so painful that I feel like I need to do something for him.
    image image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"