Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Babysitter WWYD?

So..... I had a baby sitter all lined up for when I go back to school in on the 27th. It's a family member.

In the mean time I've learned that there is a lot of sickness going on in our little community (we live on an island). The school age kids on the island seem to be coming down with the flu,hand/foot/and mouth, whooping cough, lice, etc.

The family member who would be babysitting LO (8months) has a grandson who is just starting school and she also takes care of him and a couple other kids after school. This would be just the time she would be taking care of LO too. We only need someone for about 1 1/2 hours from the time my DH leaves for work and I get home from school.

I have a friend who is also willing to watch LO that does not live in our community and is separate from the sicknesses going around.

I really feel more comfortable with her watching LO right now. 

Does this sound logical? How would you talk to the family member to say that you've changed your mind for the time being until stuff isn't so rampant?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Babysitter WWYD?

• You can't keep your baby away from everything! Use good hygiene and keep your baby up to date on immunizations.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Personally, I'd just be honest and say that you aren't comfortable with your LO, being so young, potentially being around so many diseases, because even if the kids the family member is watching aren't sick, they've likely been exposed to it and may be carrying the illnesses.  Maybe tell the family member that you'd still love for them to watch your LO, but you'd like to maybe wait until the baby's a little bigger and the illnesses in the school age kids have slowed down.

It's a tough decision/talk, because you don't want to hurt their feelings, but I think that it'd be better to have the friend watch your LO for awhile.  Babies will get sick, but you don't need to expose them to all sorts of germs/illnesses unnecessarily.

Good luck!    

• Loading the player...
  • imageNala37:

Personally, I'd just be honest and say that you aren't comfortable with your LO, being so young, potentially being around so many diseases, because even if the kids the family member is watching aren't sick, they've likely been exposed to it and may be carrying the illnesses.  Maybe tell the family member that you'd still love for them to watch your LO, but you'd like to maybe wait until the baby's a little bigger and the illnesses in the school age kids have slowed down.

It's a tough decision/talk, because you don't want to hurt their feelings, but I think that it'd be better to have the friend watch your LO for awhile.  Babies will get sick, but you don't need to expose them to all sorts of germs/illnesses unnecessarily.

Good luck!    

This!!  Have an honest conversation with your family member and express your concerns.  Why have your child around kids that could be sick or be carrying something to make your lo sick if you don't have to.  I don't bring my girls around people that are sick no matter what.  I don't need sick babies. 

image image image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Is your LO and the grandson up to date on his vaccinations?  Do you take your LO around kids (family or friends) regularly anyway?  Do you work in a school that will be effected by this?  If everyone has had their vaccines and your LO is around kids normally and you work in one of the schools anyway then I personally would leave it and just make sure that she knows to let you know about any illness, no matter how minor.  If someone isn't vaccinated or if this would be yours or your LO's only exposure to school age kids then I would just say to her "I know there has been a lot of diseases going around among the school age kids.  So and so offered to watch LO, so I was thinking that I would have her do it until your grandson has been in school for a little bit and we see if these things die down.  Once everything calms down I'll bring LO here".
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageKb103109:
    imageNala37:

Personally, I'd just be honest and say that you aren't comfortable with your LO, being so young, potentially being around so many diseases, because even if the kids the family member is watching aren't sick, they've likely been exposed to it and may be carrying the illnesses.  Maybe tell the family member that you'd still love for them to watch your LO, but you'd like to maybe wait until the baby's a little bigger and the illnesses in the school age kids have slowed down.

Good luck!    

This!!  Have an honest conversation with your family member and express your concerns.  Why have your child around kids that could be sick or be carrying something to make your lo sick if you don't have to.  I don't bring my girls around people that are sick no matter what.  I don't need sick babies. 

This. Honesty is best. Although you can't keep LO from all germs I wouldn't personally send my LO somewhere knowing that there are outbreaks going on.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Yeah, just be honest about it.  And I would emphasize that after X duration of time/being sure no one was bringing home illnesses, you're excited for LO to start going to see this family member in the morning.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Honesty is good but I personally think that is a lot to worry about. Kids are around germs and get sick. Yes, I have dealt with more sicknesses in first year (with both kids) because they are in daycare. But their immune systems build up. My sisters kids started preschool at 3 and were sick all year. So either now or later.

But if you are really worried- then just be honest.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"