Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

20 Month old's speech

Hello ladies! I am a mother of 3, I have a 13 yr old step daughter a 20 month old daughter and a 8 month old daughter.

Just looking for some thoughts from other momma's. What is/was your 20 month olds vocabulary like?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: 20 Month old's speech

• Hi! My daughter had a pretty big vocab.  She is now starting to put 2-3 words together like "I do it" "No like it" "My turn"

She can name most objects and body parts and is starting to be able to ask for what she wants (cookie, milk, tired, etc)

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • DS has a pretty large vocabulary (around 70 words) and can put some two-word sentences together (hi daddy, bye-bye kitties, more please).  He is starting to recognize colors and tries to say a bunch of them. He can usually tell us what he wants when we ask him to use his words (with one word responses of cheese, crackers, play, eat, etc).
    Oh, Baby Bean! We will always miss you! With us for 6w3d -- June 9, 2008.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    2 years of TTC, Seeing RE Feb 09, 2 medicated TI cycles - BFNs, 3 medicated IUIs - BFNs, back to medicated TI cycles until IVF approval, IVF approved in March 2010. BFP on last medicated TI cycle.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • My DS is 19.5 months old.  He has about 60 words and continues to add them more and more quickly. He has only put two words together when he says bye-bye or hi, like "bye bye bear" or "hi dada" but doesn't do it often, yet.  I do wonder when he should start doing that more or if/how I should encourage it or if he'll just all of a sudden start doing it more.
    DS (7 years old) from FET in 2010
    DD (5 years old) from IUI in 2012
    TTC 3rd and final!: IUI #1 in progress!
  • Z is 23 months and has a very small vocabulary. He can point to many things when I ask...but he doesn't say the words.

We have mama, dada, grandma, ball, light, i love you and outside. I worry sometimes but everyone tells me just to be patient.

His motor skills are super advanced though. He can walk down a flight of stairs without holding on to anything.

I start to worry all over again when I hear of kids way younger saying TONS more words.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker My birthson who came before I was ready. He doesn't call me mom but I love him just the same. ~7/10/99~
  • My son is 18 months and has 4 words: momma, dada, tractor, and kitty. 

I wish he was using more words, but I'm not worried.  :)

BabyFetus Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My son is 20 months, he has a vocab of about 40 words (just listed them all the other day for the pediatrician!)
    Photobucket Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • My son is 19 months old and can say probably around 40-50 words.  He is starting to add new ones every day and is slowly starting to put 2 words together now.  It's so cute to see him just decide he knows our dogs name or something. 
    Little Man 1.8.11
    Freshie Girl 9.29.12
  • imageTheBuddha:
    Z is 23 months and has a very small vocabulary. He can point to many things when I ask...but he doesn't say the words.

We have mama, dada, grandma, ball, light, i love you and outside. I worry sometimes but everyone tells me just to be patient.

His motor skills are super advanced though. He can walk down a flight of stairs without holding on to anything.

I start to worry all over again when I hear of kids way younger saying TONS more words.

Mostly this. DS is 21 months has a pretty limited vocab but he seems to be advanced physically. He can point to a few things a lot of his body parts but doesn't say too much yet. I'm waiting for him to start talking but trying not to worry too much.
  • My pedi said she looks for 20 words at 18 mo and by 2yrs old they should be putting 2 words together and a stranger should be able to understand 50% of what they say.
  • DD is 22 months and is in speech therapy. She can say "mama", when prompted, "cat" (for basically any 4 legged animal she sees) "abba" for "baba", pa- ga- ka. She can sign milk, more, all done, eat, up, and wave hi and bye. She can also it her signs together like "more eat" or " more milk". We've been in speech therapy for 2 weeks and she can now say "hep" when we ask her if she wants help.

mom to baby Zoe, DX Osteogenesis Imperfecta type 3, over 50 fractures since birth, 4 surgeries, uses a wheelchair, severe sleep apnea, mild hydrocephalus, beautiful blue eyes.
  • My older son had a very limited vocab at 24 months. Mostly single words and maybe two words combos. Once he hit 26-27 months, bam! Now I can't get him to stop talking. He amazes me everyday with new words and can speak in complete sentences. He even started to spell 3-letter words. He has always been a late bloomer but they always catch up.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • My 20 month old is somewhere between 40-50 words. He's been in ECI for speech for the past 6 weeks and at the start of it had 10-15 words. Our pedi asked at the 2 year well visit for #1 if she had at least 50 words, was putting 2 word combo's together and if a stranger could understand half of her words. To show the variance from 1 child to the next, I had an excel sheet list of my DD's words and gave up after the list hit 300 before she turned 2.
  • DS just turned 20 mos and isn't much of a talker.  It's very difficult and frustrating for us because his sister was extremely verbal.  She had at least 100 words by 18 mos, and was already using 2-3 word phrases by 20mos.  It's just hard not to compare.  He currently says maybe 10-12 words.  Bye bye, momma, dadda, choo choo, cheese, cup, up, whoa, pop, boo, uh oh, uh uh (for no), that.  He signs more and please, and he does a lot of animal sounds.  He may have a few more words than that, but it's hard to tell if he's really saying it or if his jabbering just sounds like the real word, kwim?  Everything else in his development is on track, and his understanding always amazes us.  He follows directions like a champ and understands pretty much everything we say.  So I think he'll catch up, it's just a little frustrating having to wait it out!
  • We are not to 20 months yet but LO has a good amount of words. He only had about 5 at 12-15 months, then at 17 months had a language boom. He now has several 2-3 word phrases he uses like brush my teeth, what is that, my momma, i can draw, thank you, Im/it's stuck, look at that, etc in addition to about 40-50 single basic words like naming his body parts eyes, nose, teeth, hair, cat, doggie, no, uh uh, cheese, cup, dinky (the cat at daycare), mine, baby, momma, dada, book, truck, duck, car, etc.

A good chunk of these words/phrases started once he started at daycare, vs being in home with a nanny. So I think being around other kids 2-3 years old has helped with this. 

Team Pink! Baby Girl due 8.2.15
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • My daughter is almost 21 months and isn't very verbal yet.  She does talk all the time, but it is in her own language only she understands.  She has maybe 20 words, including animal noises.  Our pedi was looking for 10 words at 18 months and will look for 50 at 2 years.  Maddie always does everything on the late side of normal so I am not concerned yet.  Frustrated...yes.  Concerned, no.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"