1st Trimester

Maternity clothes

I'm only 6 weeks pregnant but I've already been looking at maternity clothes! Is it too soon? When should I start buying? HELP! 

Re: Maternity clothes

• It's your money. But them whenever you want.

I didn't wear maternity clothes with my first until after 17 weeks. (maybe it was 22 weeks) 

BFP#1 due 3/5/2007 missed m/c at 10w, d&c 8/2006 BFP#2 DD 6/2007 BFP#3 DS 5/2009 BFP#4 due 4/8/12 m/c at 9w3d, after weeks of waiting for hcg to go down finally prescribed misoprosotol BFP#5 DUE 8/15/13 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • With my son I was so excited to buy maternity clothes. I went at 12 weeks to try some on and nothing fit, not even remotely. I ended up buying some stretchy pants a size up and that tied me over for a while. At 24 weeks I thought I could finally buy some mat clothes, but nope. Still nothing fit properly. I was very frustrated because my stretchy pants weren't fitting anymore, but mat pants didn't work either. That's when the belly band came in handy. 

Some people are able to find comfortable mat clothes that will fit at the end of first tri, but I wasn't one of them. 

• While it is a bit early to need them, one thing about this time of year is it is consignment sale season. If you check out your local parenting websites you should be able to find several consignment sales going on. You could save a ton of money to buy great condition clothes. I'm all about spending wisely. :-) I'd rather spend money on baby clothes.
  • With my first pregnancy, i bought a bunch of clothes early, then realized i didn't need them until later.  So i was stuck with summer stuff that i never really needed because i wasn't in maternity clothes until September.  Maternity clothes can be so expensive, so if you see a good sale, can't hurt to pick some things up, especially staples like jeans, black pants, long sleeve t-shirts, etc. 
  • imageestreyas:

I would think it doesn't make sense to buy until you need them; you won't know how low or high you'll carry, what of your clothes will fit, etc. Hold off until you're starting to show (at 6 weeks, you're bloated, not showing) and then start shopping. 

This exactly.

I shopped a little when I started to show with DS, somewhere around 17 weeks. I was a huge pregnant woman the first time, and even still, maternity clothes never fit me right. I was constantly adjusting my jeans; they were always falling down, like the panel wasn't tight enough to hold, but then the hips started to get pretty tight and the pants felt shorter as I got bigger.

This time I've been lucky since I found out I was pregnant the first week of June. I've just been wearing loose fitting sundresses. During the winter, my best friend will probably be some plain colored leggings and long sweaters/shirts. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I just broke out my maternity jeans for the first time this morning. I am only 9 weeks. But this is my second pregnancy.  Nothing was fitting me in my closet and I forgot to do laundry.  I am so happy today!  I actually feel put together and somewhat svelte, instead of just wearing baggy too-big pants that happen to fit over my ginormus gut in an attempt to hide the fact that I am pregnant at work. 
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I'll be whipping out the maternity pants as soon as things tighten up - I paid a lot of money for two great pairs of Gap dress pants during my last pregnancy and will not hesitate to wear them early on. But shirts, I'm not going to bother with until I absolutely have to. 
    BFP 7/31/10 m/c 8/16/10
    BFP 10/25/10 Brynn Helen born 7/7/11
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I had to pick up some clothes that were a size larger than what I normally wore. I figure that will get me through until I need true maternity clothes. 

• I would get things when you need them. With my first, I was in pants at about 14 weeks, but not shirts until later. With this one, I busted out the pants at 10 weeks, but not shirts yet either. I did buy some longer shirts to cover the maternity bands, but no maternity shirts yet.

With DD I went through a couple sizes of maternity shirts too. Some from when I was about 5-7 months, and then I had to get bigger ones at the end.

BFP 11/09 - DD 7/10 - BFP 8/11 - M/C 9/11 - BFP 6/12 - DD - 2/13

• With DS I didn't need maternity clothes until almost 7 months! This time around I found a good deal on a pair of pants so I bought them already. If you find some good deals, you could get a couple of things that are staples -black pants, jeans, tanks to go under everything that is too short. I would wait until later on to make sure you don't buy stuff you don't need.

• I was pregnant through the summer and was surprised to find that I was able to wear some of the dresses and skirts that I already owned all the was to the end of my pregnancy. I had a box of maternity clothes given to me, most of which I never came close to fitting and I am not a tiny girl. If you see some good deals on tops you might want to get them but I would wait on bottoms until you are ready for them so you know they will fit.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagejamiedsgirl:
    I just broke out my maternity jeans for the first time this morning. I am only 9 weeks. But this is my second pregnancy.  Nothing was fitting me in my closet and I forgot to do laundry.  I am so happy today!  I actually feel put together and somewhat svelte, instead of just wearing baggy too-big pants that happen to fit over my ginormus gut in an attempt to hide the fact that I am pregnant at work. 

This!!

I had to go looking for some pants yesterday, as i have NOTHING besides dresses to wear...I went to the local thrift store and found a pair of Old Navy Mat jeans with a streachy band (no panel) for 3.50. I was so excited :-) DH even commented when he got home, "Oh, I see we have jeans now?" :-) I guess he was tired of hearing me complain that none of my jeans fit any more lol...

But, this is my second pregnancy, and while Im not really "showing" I dont like dressing in hugly baggy clothes just because they fit...I'd rather wear a pair of mat pants that make me feel good and look good in, then feel like a heap of poo..

So, its all up to you, but start small and with maybe just one peice...

HTH 

BabyName Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

"Doctors are sadists who like to play God and watch lesser people scream." ~ From Juno

• Anyone have any advice on winter coats? I live in an area that has cold winters. Do I have to buy a maternity coat? Is there a more economical option?
    BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have bought a bunch of maternity tops, but none of them really fit yet, some of the ones with the ruching on the sides do. I broke down and bought a pair of maternity jeans at H&M yesterday and am wearing them today and let me tell you how much more comfortable I am!! I am 11w2d into my second pregnancy, I started showing a lot sooner this time around. I have been using the Bella Band and other tricks but was getting tired of always adjusting...
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I'm 11 weeks tomorrow and finally broke down and bought jeans yesterday. It's my 2nd pregnsncy and I am pregnant with twins none of my pants are fitting me. A few of my shirts are though so I'll probably hold off on shirts for a bit.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"