November 2012 Moms

colostrum freak out!!

So I am 28 weeks today and I have been reading some posts about people leaking and stuff which has not happened to me at all yet. So just out of curiosity I squeezed one of my boobs and some came out! I know it is supposed to be there and everything but it seriously freaked me out! I just yelled, ew gross! as soon as I saw that.( I am home alone by the way.) lol. I guess a part of me is relieved because I do plan on breastfeeding but it still kind of freaks/grosses me out! Anyone else feel like this? I saw somebody on one board compare it to kind of like when you get your first period... thought that was a pretty good analogy.

Re: colostrum freak out!!

• No, not yet, but I hope it happens to me because I want to breastfeed, and my boobs have not grown hardley at all. Kinda bumms me out
  • Haha, I love that you squeezed some out. I have had some minor leakage two times that I know of for sure. Not a bunch or anything, but yes, I had that ewww gross feeling! I just stared at it for a while, like really, that just came from my boob? It is a new experience, that is for sure. I have had a few moms explain to me the beauties of when your milk actually comes in, I think we are in for quite a few more, ewww gross type moments regarding our boobs in the future! Smile
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • OH S****. I just tried it and mine did the same thing, too. 

Are you there, God? It's me, Margaret . . . 

BabyName Ticker
  • I was more worried about my husband being weirded out than myself when I first noticed I was producing drops of colostrum.  Thankfully, he hasn't been weirded out by it so far!
  • I have full blown milk, but I'm a STM.  Getting your milk is nothing like getting your first period.  I don't even understand the comparison.  I wanted to BF DD1.0 and knew that before she as born, so it didn't bother me.  For me, latching an infant on and realizing I was going to feed her this way was a bit weird for me.  By the 3rd or 4th time I did it, it was just natural and normal.  I guess I'm not understanding why the presence of colostrum would cause anyone to freak out.

• imageCandaceLeigh:
    I have full blown milk, but I'm a STM.  Getting your milk is nothing like getting your first period.  I don't even understand the comparison.  I wanted to BF DD1.0 and knew that before she as born, so it didn't bother me.  For me, latching an infant on and realizing I was going to feed her this way was a bit weird for me.  By the 3rd or 4th time I did it, it was just natural and normal.  I guess I'm not understanding why the presence of colostrum would cause anyone to freak out.

Because knowing it's coming and seeing it are two different things. You feel prepared for it, but it happens and you're shocked.  

BabyName Ticker
  • imagexxaliciaxx:
    No, not yet, but I hope it happens to me because I want to breastfeed, and my boobs have not grown hardley at all. Kinda bumms me out

All of this is me as well.
  • imagexxaliciaxx:
    No, not yet, but I hope it happens to me because I want to breastfeed, and my boobs have not grown hardley at all. Kinda bumms me out

All of this is me as well.
  • imagejrogaliner0512:

OH S****. I just tried it and mine did the same thing, too. 

LOL!! Love the reference.... 

• My nipples were really itchy the other day, and while putting lotion on I pinched/squeezed some out. 

I was fine with it but I didn't realize my husband was watching, he freaked out big time!!

Later I noticed i had spots in my bra! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagejrogaliner0512:

imageCandaceLeigh:
    I have full blown milk, but I'm a STM.  Getting your milk is nothing like getting your first period.  I don't even understand the comparison.  I wanted to BF DD1.0 and knew that before she as born, so it didn't bother me.  For me, latching an infant on and realizing I was going to feed her this way was a bit weird for me.  By the 3rd or 4th time I did it, it was just natural and normal.  I guess I'm not understanding why the presence of colostrum would cause anyone to freak out.

Because knowing it's coming and seeing it are two different things. You feel prepared for it, but it happens and you're shocked.  

Exactly! I just really didn't think anything was going to happen right then and when it did I was really surprised. Plus I think it's like your first period in the way that you are happy that you got it, because of the whole womanhood thing, but then you see it and it's actually kind of gross, (at least to me it was at first) especially because you're not used to it. I mean, I am kind of over being grossed out now about the milk, it just freaked me out at first because I didn't expect it at that moment. 

• imagejrogaliner0512:

imageCandaceLeigh:

That makes more sense to me.  I was thrown because periods are gross and nursing isn't (to me).

• Haha! This literally was me about a week ago, except DH was in the other room and came running in all concerned. After I told him he was like ewww do not show me that! Stick out tongue
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have BFd two kids for a grand total of 46 months. Ya know what? I still think colostrum is gross. It looks nasty, more like an oozing wound than something you feed your kid. Milk doesn't look nasty. I'm glad it's there and all, but I can see why it would freak someone out.

Oh, and for those that are worried - you do NOT need big boobs to BF and your boobs do NOT have to get larger to BF. One of my mom friends is completely flat chested, AA cup size, and has never had any issues with supply.

The former jen5/03.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• My enitre first pregnancy, my boobs stayed at A. It wasn't until my milk came in that I went to a B cup. Even then I didn't fill out the B cup nursing bras. I EBF DD for 8 months with no issues.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • The other day I was watching TV and my arm brushed over my boob and I was like 'oh damn did I spill my drink?' but I had actually soaked through my bra and top on one side. DH was like, "Squeeze it!" So I did and some colostrum came out. He didn't like that too much!

I had to get breast pads at Walmart (didn't have any already) cause it wouldn't stop leaking! I was happy I guess, and suprised. I plan to breastfeed LO so it's good it's there, but I agree, it's a minor shock the first time you see it!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagejrogaliner0512:

OH S****. I just tried it and mine did the same thing, too. 

Haha!  My thoughts exactly! 

I squeezed a week or so ago, just to see and was surprised to see droplets come out.  I was only able to get one to do it though.  DH was certainly weirded out by it, but at the same time completely fascinated.  I haven't tried again because I had to squeeze so hard to do it, it hurt.  I hope when its time it won't hurt so much and come out much easier!

Wickedly nice Step Mom to JJ since 5/2/09
    Born 7/26/01-- Adopted 3/6/02

Two and a Half Years, Too Many Treatments, One Precious Miracle
    Abby born 11/5/12 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"