September 2012 Moms

CP: How long will your DH/SO take off work?

I wrote a long whiny vent about how little time DH will be allowed to take off of work, but realized a clicky-poll is a lot more fun.

[poll]

imageimage
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: CP: How long will your DH/SO take off work?

• My DH is working extra hours so that he'll have two weeks of extra time off to stay home. He works at a call center where each hour he works extra translates into an hour and a half of leave time, so this time off will be separate from the PTO that he accrues normally. That way he'll still have time to take off for pediatrician visits and who knows what else.
  • DH gets a total of 8 weeks. He will take 3 up front and then can take the other 5 in 1 week increments throughout the year. He will probably save most of that time for when my leave is over so we can go without nanny-care for a little while longer.

Kid #1 - 09/03/12
    Kid #2 - maybe???
    Diagnosed with Severe Ashermans 
    Hysteroscopy #10 - scar tissue grew back reblocking my right tube
    #11 or IVF with scarring still inside?
    1 lone embryo from September 2016 retreival, dx with Trisomy 16, starting fresh
  • Loading the player...
  • DH will be there in the hospital. After that it depends on what is needing to be done for harvesting his crops. If they are ahead of schedule (which they are right now) there is a chance that he could stay home a couple of days if I tied him down- but chances are he will be back at work with his dad.

His dad said he can take time off (they work on the family farm together) but chances are he won't! It's his busiest time- I get it. I'll be ok.

• I clicked 2 weeks for this time, but this is the longest he's ever had off after one of our babies.  We're moving and he's changing jobs, so it worked out perfectly for him to take a few weeks to spend with us.

With DS and DD, he went back to work a day or two after we got home from the hospital.  Even with having a c/s, it was totally doable.  My mom did come and stay, but that was more for companionship than actually needing help, particularly with #1.  You'll do fine! 

the bug & bee blog
    (read it. you know you want to.)
    anderson . september 2008
    vivian . february 2010
    mabel . august 2012
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • It will depend on what day I have the baby for us. If I have him on a Thursday/Friday, SO's boss okay'd him to take the entire next week off. If I have the baby on a Monday/Tues/Wed he will return the following Monday.

SO's job doesn't allow any PTO or vacation so it's pretty much sucking up to the boss to get any time off. He's also gone all week working OOT so his boss is being a little more lenient about time off because of that also.

• My husband will probably take one full day at home with me. After that, he will go in and out of work as needed. Our family owns a motorsports dealership so his hours will be flexible, but he will have to go in every day. Our dealership is 2 mins from our house so he can come and go pretty convieniently!
                         Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Due to the nature of his job, he could take however much time he wants, but since he doesn't get paid when he doesn't work (and since I don't have paid leave), it will likely be less than a week. Once we're home a couple of days he gets stir-crazy anyway.
  • My H gets 10 days off.  If I go into labor on the weekend the 10 days will not start until Monday, so I am hoping to go into labor Friday night/Saturday morning (wishful thinking I know, but in a perfect world).
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think I'm the only one so far...but MH will most likely only be able to get the day that I deliver off. Long story short, his boss SUCKS.
                                     http://www.pinterest.com/kate2904/
  • My DH is an engineer on a ship and usually works a 21 day rotation, luckily his relief agreed to do a full month. DH comes home around the last day of August, and I'm due September 13. He'll be home til October 1st, and if I'm super late, the relief offered to do an extra week if he needs it :-)
  • DH hoards sick time - so even after taking off five weeks for an injury last fall, he will be taking three weeks off for baby. Then he should have two weeks left - and he builds so many hours/pay period.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • DH will for sure be with me in the hosptial and will probably not take additional time once we get home. 
  • My SO doesn't get any PTO, but we're gonna try and get our boss to give him the week off unpaid just so he can help me and we can bond with the baby.  Plus, it'll make it easier for us to get used to the new schedule, as we're both late sleepers and late risers, and it'll be a little easier for him get accustomed to waking up super early while NOT trying to go to work at the same time.
  • My H will take 5 days off of work. Then it'll just be me, my wild child son, and the newborn. :)
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • as of right now, DH is taking two weeks off. he has 28 hours of vacation time and 10 hours of personal time saved up, and he has up to a year of FMLA (unpaid). 

so the first week will be paid, and he is taking that off for sure. the rest, however, will be dependent on what our needs are at the time. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Marian Abigail :: born 9-16-2012 via emergency C/S
    BFP on 11-14-2014, aiming for a VBAC

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Probably literally only the day that I deliver. He owns his own web design business and is his only employee so things would kind of fall apart if he took all kinds of time off. His clients depend on him and he would fall so far behind if he took any kind of time off. The good thing is that he works from home and can make his own hours, so he can always "punch out" and help me if I need him to. Honestly I'm not worried..3rd baby and I feel like I have a good handle on how to care for newborns/multiple children. Both of our families also live closeby so we'll have lots of help for the first few weeks when I am most physically sore.
    DD1 October 2008
    DD2 October 2010
    DS September 2012
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Halloween tickers
  • SS - MH will take 2 full weeks off & then 1-2 days off per week for a few weeks after that.

• H gets 20 days of leave and 10 days of paternity leave. I actually bought his plane ticket to come home yesterday; it'll be great to have him home that long. With our first, he got three days [and had to fight for the extra day because I wound up being induced].
    ________________________________________________________________________________

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• I'm Canadian but also a grad student so I don't qualify for EI 12 monthsish off... but that means my SO can take all of the parental leave about 8 months. It's only 55 pay, but we never thought twice about it. He'll take 4 months off with me at the start, go back for 4 months, then take the remaining 4 months off when I go back to school in May.

As a FTM, I can't imagine going it alone for so much of the day so early on. You guys are rockstars.

Edit: Sorry for lack of some punctuation/weird formatting. New mobile site and blackberry don't mesh apparently
  • DH has this same paternity leave schedule and I'm hoping for the same! With my luck Baby boy will decide to make an entrance on a Monday!  If I go into labor Thursday he might be given Friday as a freebie depending on what's going on that week.
  • DH is taking 1 1/2 wks...I think.  He hasn't actually told them yet.  Since LO is coming on a Thursday he figured he'd just stay home through the whole week & go back on a Monday.

• I have my c-sec scheduled on a Friday, so he will have off that day and then the next two weeks. He is a teacher, so he may occasionally go in in the afternoon to teach a class or two depending on how I am feeling. DD will be in daycare most of that time so I don't have to worry about her.
  • My c/s is scheduled for next Wednesday.  He will be off Wednesday, work 1/2 Thursday, full day Friday and then be off for the next week and 1/2.  I'll come home Saturday so he'll be off w/ me through the Labor Day holiday.
    BFP #1 5/10/06 ...m/mc @11.5w 6/29/06 D&C 6/30/06
    BFP #2 10/29/08 ...stillborn via c/s @41w 7/20/09
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    missing my baby everyday
    BFP #3 1/20/10 My angel's little sister Grace Madison was born September 8th 2010 @37w. We're so blessed! Thank you angel for getting her here safely.
    BFP #4 12/30/11. Jackson Christopher 8/22/2012 via repeat c/s @ 37w 3d
  • He took off 3 weeks when DD was born.  This time around he'll only be able to take off for 3-4 days.  It sucks but it is what it is.  We'll manage. 

• He's taking a week "off" and then doing a week working from home.  So he'll be home with me for two weeks. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DH will probably take a week off. He has plenty of vacation and sick time but I think I want him to save most of it so he can take it after I go back to work.  We will see how I feel after delivery.  With DD#1 he took off the day of and the day after my CS and then had to go back to work. It was fine.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage
  • About a week, depending on what day DD is born.

• Probably just a few days.  He's a contractor so no paid vacation/time off.  Actually, he'll probably take off the day I have the baby, possibly the next, then work short days while I'm in the hospital (c-section so I'll be there a few days), and then maybe take some time off after we go home.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • DH plans on taking 2 weeks unless I have a c/s then he is going to take 3.  He has worked a massive amount of OT since starting with the bank and never uses it, and never has been paid out for it.  Whatever we don't use now we are going to use for our trip next June to AZ/CA we are hoping to make it a month long trip!!

Baby #2 on its way - EDD June 4th!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thankfully my husbands work loves him and they have offered him 2 weeks paid time off so he doesn't have to use sick or vacation days or any of my parental leave. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"