Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Mirena Questions:

Hi!

So I'm seriously thinking about getting Mirena but I had a few questions that I thought I'd ask here first before asking my OB.

1 - Anyone on it currently that has always had pretty irregular periods?  If so, what are they like now?

2 - Do you feel the threads?

• Like (and this may be a stupid question) but do they hang out of you? 
  • Do they get in the way of sex or using tampons? 

I think that is all!

TIA

Our TTC Journey
TTC #1: May 2011
BFP: 10/27/2011 |  EDD: 6/30/12
DS born 6/28/12 via C/S 3 

TTC #2: September 2018
Me: 36 | DH: 39
Mirena removed 9/13/2018 after 6 years
BFP 11/11/2018 | MC @ 5.5 weeks on Thanksgiving
July 2019 - Diagnosed with Secondary Unexplained IF
August 2019 - 2.5 mg of Letrozole = Never Ovulated so Trigger and IUI were cancelled
9/30/2019 - IUI #1 (5 mg of Letrozole + Trigger) =  BFP but Betas showed CP @ 4 weeks
10/28/2019 - IUI #2 (7.5mg of Letrozole + Trigger) = BFN
11/25/2019 - IUI #3 (7.5mg of Letrozole, Trigger + Crinone after IUI) = BFN
12/24/2019 - IUI #4 (7.5mg of Letrozole + Crinone after IUI) = BFN
1/24/2020 - IUI #5 (50mg of Clomid + Trigger + Crinone after IUI) = BFN and an Ovarian Cyst
3/2/2020 - Taking a break to reset/NTNP
11/1/2020 - At peace with where things are in life and are no long actively TTC. Whatever happens will happen and it will all be okay. <3

Re: Mirena Questions:

• My periods were always pretty regular, so I can't help there. Mine are shorter and lighter though. As for the threads, no you can't feel them. The doctor will clip them short, like near your cervix. My husband could feel them during sex the first few times we did it after it was inserted, but he hasn't mentioned it since. My OB said they do soften over time, so that they aren't uncomfortable for men during sex.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • This is my second Mirena.  I had irregular periods before both.  With my first my periods stopped after about 4mo. This times have random spotting, but only 1 period since insertion. The first time DH wasnot able to feel the strings at all. This time he was able to feel the at first, but they have coiled up (which is normal) & he can't feel them now. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Married 1/2/99.
    TTC since 4/09.
    Diagnosed PCOS. Diagnosed Hypothryoid 11/09.
    SHG & SA normal. PCOS Research study started 5/10.
    Clomid/Femara cycle #1 - 6/10 = BFN
    Clomid/Femara cycle #2 - 7/10 = BFP #1 - Missed miscarriage 9/2/10
    11/12 - BFP #2 - 11/22 - m/c
    5/1/11 - BFP #3 - Pre-eclampsia, IUGR & bed rest from 32w. DD born via induction 1/4/12.
  • Loading the player...
  • I had one in for 5 years and no periods after 3 months, No strings are in way can't feel it.

They don't get in way for tampons or sex. I loved having Mirena.

After 5 years had it took out and got pregnant 4 months after :)

One time with Mirena I got a bacteria infection, but was easy to clear up with med. from Dr.. Common

After baby born In June, 8 weeks after I got tubal ligation done.

• imageelainelbuck:

This is my second Mirena.  I had irregular periods before both.  With my first my periods stopped after about 4mo. This times have random spotting, but only 1 period since insertion. The first time DH wasnot able to feel the strings at all. This time he was able to feel the at first, but they have coiled up (which is normal) & he can't feel them now. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Did you freak out at all when your periods stopped or were irregular?  Like concerned you were pregnant?  When you say that the strings "coiled up" were you still able to find them during your monthly checks (or do you not really have to check monthly?)

They say you are fertile as soon as coming off of mirena, unlike the pill, how long did it take you to get pregnant after?  Although I know it's different for everyone.

It took me 5 months to get preggers after coming off the pill, but then again it was very difficult for me to know when I was ovulating because of my crazy cycles.  I only had 2 periods in that 2 month time frame of trying. 

Thanks for all of the info!

Our TTC Journey
    TTC #1: May 2011
    BFP: 10/27/2011 |  EDD: 6/30/12
    DS born 6/28/12 via C/S 3 

TTC #2: September 2018
    Me: 36 | DH: 39
    Mirena removed 9/13/2018 after 6 years
    BFP 11/11/2018 | MC @ 5.5 weeks on Thanksgiving
    July 2019 - Diagnosed with Secondary Unexplained IF
    August 2019 - 2.5 mg of Letrozole = Never Ovulated so Trigger and IUI were cancelled
    9/30/2019 - IUI #1 (5 mg of Letrozole + Trigger) =  BFP but Betas showed CP @ 4 weeks
    10/28/2019 - IUI #2 (7.5mg of Letrozole + Trigger) = BFN
    11/25/2019 - IUI #3 (7.5mg of Letrozole, Trigger + Crinone after IUI) = BFN
    12/24/2019 - IUI #4 (7.5mg of Letrozole + Crinone after IUI) = BFN
    1/24/2020 - IUI #5 (50mg of Clomid + Trigger + Crinone after IUI) = BFN and an Ovarian Cyst
    3/2/2020 - Taking a break to reset/NTNP
    11/1/2020 - At peace with where things are in life and are no long actively TTC. Whatever happens will happen and it will all be okay. <3

• You should be able to feel your strings when you check.  I stopped checking after a few years and woops....it had fallen out...I did not know this and surprise!!!!   Except for that....I loved it for 4 years.  Regular periods, no issues.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't have one but felt the need to put in my 2 cents :) My best friend got it after her third child and she had many complications. It ended up becoming "loose" and lodged itself into her uterine lining. She had to have surgery to have it removed. It may sound like a "one case scenario" but it's actually listed in the possible side effects.

Then I have another friend who got it and had an almost constant period the first year and a half. After that it finally went away and she's ok now, but it took a long time.

Good luck making your decision. Just wanted to say that sometimes the bad side effects do happen.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • imageklasala318:
    imageelainelbuck:

This is my second Mirena.  I had irregular periods before both.  With my first my periods stopped after about 4mo. This times have random spotting, but only 1 period since insertion. The first time DH wasnot able to feel the strings at all. This time he was able to feel the at first, but they have coiled up (which is normal) & he can't feel them now. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Did you freak out at all when your periods stopped or were irregular?  Like concerned you were pregnant?  When you say that the strings "coiled up" were you still able to find them during your monthly checks (or do you not really have to check monthly?)

They say you are fertile as soon as coming off of mirena, unlike the pill, how long did it take you to get pregnant after?  Although I know it's different for everyone.

It took me 5 months to get preggers after coming off the pill, but then again it was very difficult for me to know when I was ovulating because of my crazy cycles.  I only had 2 periods in that 2 month time frame of trying. 

Thanks for all of the info!

No, I knew not having periods was possible with Mirena so it didn't shock me.  With the first one DH checked for my strings for a few months.  My cervix is always very high (even the OB has trouble reaching it) and I was unable to find them.  With the second one we never checked.  I was only told we needed to check for a couple of months, with the second one I was told since I had one previously it wasn't important to check for the strings.  I believe it takes a few months for the strings to coil, some never do.

I have PCOS, so my experience coming off the IUD probably won't help, but here goes.  I got it removed April 2009 & started charting.  My periods were very irregular, then I ended up having my period for 6w straight.  After a year we went to see the RE, did 3 medicated cycles, got pregnant twice & m/c twice.  The first pregnancy was 14mo after the IUD removal, the second was 18mo after removal.  We did an RPL panel, added some things and got pregnant with DD exactly 2yrs after the Mirena removal.  We have no reason to believe the IUD caused any of our issues, I have PCOS, MTHFR & low progesterone, once I lost some weight I began ovulating on my own & adding progesterone and extra Folic Acid allowed me to stay pregnant.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Married 1/2/99.
    TTC since 4/09.
    Diagnosed PCOS. Diagnosed Hypothryoid 11/09.
    SHG & SA normal. PCOS Research study started 5/10.
    Clomid/Femara cycle #1 - 6/10 = BFN
    Clomid/Femara cycle #2 - 7/10 = BFP #1 - Missed miscarriage 9/2/10
    11/12 - BFP #2 - 11/22 - m/c
    5/1/11 - BFP #3 - Pre-eclampsia, IUGR & bed rest from 32w. DD born via induction 1/4/12.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"