September 2012 Moms
Options

Walking Epi vs. Standard Epi

Has anyone had experience with both?

To me the walking epi sounds like a great option since you are able to move around a lot more, but I'm wondering if it doesn't allow for as much pain relief.

Is anyone planning on (or have previously used) other medication for pain management?

photo photo_zps4ea6bdf2.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Walking Epi vs. Standard Epi

• Options

Check with your hospital, mine doesn't even do a walking epi b/c there are risks associate with it (safety risks for the mother). 

I had a shot of nubane with DD that took the edge off for a few hours before I got the epi.  I'm hoping I can get by with just that this time. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

LilBit and I are are IV drug birthers (her moreso than me).

I avoid the epi due to low BP issues and got Nubain and Stadol with DD. I got them a couple hours before DD made her appearance and they just took the edge off enough for me to rest in between contractions. They wore off before full-on delivery and neither of us had any issues.

I plan to do the same this time around. 

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagemrsh0606:

Check with your hospital, mine doesn't even do a walking epi b/c there are risks associate with it (safety risks for the mother). 

I had a shot of nubane with DD that took the edge off for a few hours before I got the epi.  I'm hoping I can get by with just that this time. 

Your daughter is adorable!

OP, my hospital doesn't do the walking epi either.

• Options
    walking epi isnt available here either so no idea. with ds i had phentanyol (sp?) for several hours. I ended up getting the epi as my body didnt really like the phentanyol. it was helping but it also made me sick so i got to a point where i just wanted to be able to relax (as much as one can while in labor)
  • Options
    imageyogitea01:
    imagemrs.kapow:

I avoid the epi due to low BP issues and got Nubain and Stadol with DD. I got them a couple hours before DD made her appearance and they just took the edge off enough for me to rest in between contractions. They wore off before full-on delivery and neither of us had any issues.

I'm pretty sensitive to opiate-based drugs due to vomiting. did you  experience any nausea with those drugs? The last thing I want is to be puking between contractions. (this is all assuming I won't have to have a c-section..FX!)

Just throwing in my experience - I got really sick after getting pain meds (Stadol I think) and I don't have a history of getting sick from pain meds.  I could have been just the reaction to labor (it's not uncommon to get sick from labor), but I was still in pretty early stages, so I lean towards it being caused by the pain meds.  It didn't stop until they gave me anti-nausea meds.

Big Kid Jan 2010

Littlest Man Sept 2012

• Options
    hmp1hmp1 member
    imageyogitea01:
    imagemrs.kapow:

I'm pretty sensitive to opiate-based drugs due to vomiting. did you  experience any nausea with those drugs? The last thing I want is to be puking between contractions. (this is all assuming I won't have to have a c-section..FX!)

Drugs or not, it is pretty common to puke during labor. I puked just before I got to the point that I could push. 

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Options
    I didn't puke with the drugs or beforehand, but it's not a normal reaction for me, so you may want to ask someone who deals with that regularly.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I wonder if I can just ask for anti nausea meds with other IV drugs. Did you ladies notice your baby being "drugged" with the IV meds?
    photo photo_zps4ea6bdf2.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagemrsh0606:

This isn't 100% true.   The walking epidural has any risks that the regular epidural does no extra risks.  I live in the city where it was invented/made and I plan on getting a walking epidural.  It allows you to have ability to walk around and do things that you can't do when you have a standard epidural. 

Baby #2 on its way - EDD June 4th!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My hospital doesn't offer the walking Epi. Only the standard.
  • Options

imageSarahJean0:
    I wonder if I can just ask for anti nausea meds with other IV drugs. Did you ladies notice your baby being "drugged" with the IV meds?

The Epi made me incredibly sick (vomiting and shaking) so they pushed anti-nausea drugs through my IV. Which made my shaking worse.  For me it was a pretty negative cycle I'm hoping to avoid this time.  But most people have a much more pleasant experience. 

• Options
    imagelzmac11:
    imagemrsh0606:

This isn't 100% true.   The walking epidural has any risks that the regular epidural does no extra risks.  I live in the city where it was invented/made and I plan on getting a walking epidural.  It allows you to have ability to walk around and do things that you can't do when you have a standard epidural. 

That' great that they do it for you!  I was more explaining why my hospital says they don't do it. 

• Options
    imagemelody921:
    imagemrsh0606:

Your daughter is adorable!

OP, my hospital doesn't do the walking epi either.

thank you! :)
  • Options
    My hospital also doesn't offer the walking epi.  Fentanyl makes me cry uncontrollably with no idea why I'm crying.  I'm a FTM, but I feel more comfortable with the idea of the standard epi than the IV drugs, but we'll see how it goes...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"