Babies: 3 - 6 Months

not sitting up?

my daughter is 5 months old, almost 6mo. she cant sit up or crawl yet. she can roll from back to belly and she can scoot on her back. how can i help her to learn to sit up and crawl?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage

Re: not sitting up?

• She'll learn to do it by rolling. You can sit her up while she's on the floor playing and spot her, but they won't do it on their own until they master the roll-into-sitting manuever.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Our docs always encourage "tummy time"  With assitance it can help those little limbs get stronger.
  • Loading the player...
  • imagemabenner1:
    She'll learn to do it by rolling. You can sit her up while she's on the floor playing and spot her, but they won't do it on their own until they master the roll-into-sitting manuever.

Hmm Do you mean by "do it" that they won't "get into a sitting position on their own"? Anyway...

Aria has been sitting on her own for a couple of weeks. We just gave her lots of time on the floor, sitting propped up (between our legs or with the Boppy or pillows). It was gradual, but she got it. (FWIW, she has yet to do the "roll-into-sitting manuever".)She's getting up on all fours, but has yet to crawl. I think that 5-6 months is a tad early for that, so I'm not worrying too much about it.

All babies develop at different speeds, and in different ways. Yours might conquer the mental milestones before hitting the physical ones. You shouldn't be worried if baby seems to bloom a little later than some of them on the bump... baby will do it when he/she is ready. If you're very concerned, you could always talk to your pedi. :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    212 Facebook Admin.
  • imagelancyjo:

imagemabenner1:
    She'll learn to do it by rolling. You can sit her up while she's on the floor playing and spot her, but they won't do it on their own until they master the roll-into-sitting manuever.

Hmm Do you mean by "do it" that they won't "get into a sitting position on their own"? Anyway...

Aria has been sitting on her own for a couple of weeks. We just gave her lots of time on the floor, sitting propped up (between our legs or with the Boppy or pillows). It was gradual, but she got it. (FWIW, she has yet to do the "roll-into-sitting manuever".)She's getting up on all fours, but has yet to crawl. I think that 5-6 months is a tad early for that, so I'm not worrying too much about it.

All babies develop at different speeds, and in different ways. Yours might conquer the mental milestones before hitting the physical ones. You shouldn't be worried if baby seems to bloom a little later than some of them on the bump... baby will do it when he/she is ready. If you're very concerned, you could always talk to your pedi. :)

This...my LO is sitting up steady when I sit him up and is getting up on all fours. All babies are different. If you feel your LO isn't developing properly then you can discuss it with your pediatrician as well. I was worried for a little while because DS had difficulty with head control, but it wasn't long before he got it.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagelancyjo:

imagemabenner1:

I meant getting into a sitting position on her own, which is what I thought the OP meant. If by just sitting, you can just do lots of floor time.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagemabenner1:
    imagelancyjo:

imagemabenner1:

I meant getting into a sitting position on her own, which is what I thought the OP meant. If by just sitting, you can just do lots of floor time.

OIC. I was a bit confused. :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    212 Facebook Admin.
  • 5-6 months is really early for crawling. It's also pretty early for un-supported sitting, but as others have stated, floor time helps with that. My DD is still tippy, but getting better with sitting by herself as time goes on. She is nowhere near pulling herself into a sitting position.

Here's a helpful milestones chart. Always remember that babies develop new skills at different rates though, so just because one person's kid can do something doesn't mean that yours should necessarily be doing it too!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Mine hasn't either, but I'm not worried.  Early doesn't mean anything.  I walked at 8 months old, but I'm not very athletic, lol!  My daughter is into rolling right now.  She goes everywhere!  I don't want to force her to do something her body is not ready for.
    m/c - Dec 2005, DS - March 27, 2007, m/c - Oct 2009, DD - Feb 20, 2012

Proud mother of two breech babies:)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Each baby is different. My first didn't sit up until 7 months old. I would just keep practicing sitting up with LO, until they get it.

• I've got her to where if she is still, she can sit up for a few seconds. If she's really focused she can do it for a few minutes now. She just started doing it right after this was posted. Thanks for yall's advice(:
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"