Babies: 3 - 6 Months

How many oz. does your 3-4 month old take in a bottle?

Mine won't go past 4 oz no matter what and I'm wondering if this is why I'm routinely up 5-7 times per night to feed him!  He also goes long stretches in the day where he refuses to eat and then is up sometimes as much as hourly at night to eat.  I pump so this ain't fun!

I've tried to get him to take more and it's like he just snacks or "tops off" and then wants to eat again pretty soon.  Obviously, I cannot force him to eat.  But momma needs some sleep.  I'm getting delirious from lack of sleep and I have a 3 year old who needs some attention too!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: How many oz. does your 3-4 month old take in a bottle?

• L eats 5oz at a time, total is usually 31 (we split the final bottle into 3oz, one before bath, one after). She always finishes the 5oz bottles and I think she is probably ready for 6oz soon. She is FF. 

Eta - she is 15lbs 6oz

Lillian April 17, 2012
  • Mine takes 4 oz. she gets about two bottles a day, and sometimes won't take the whole 8 oz. I feed her on my lunch hour though. She STTN pretty well. I try to feed her two- three times before I leave for work, and often after work. I try for 8 feedings before bedtime- to make sure she gets her calories in, and hopefully won't need to eat overnight.

ETA: she is EBF. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • my four month old twins will usually take 6-7 oz of formula.  at around 3 months they used to stop eating and play with the bottle and refuse to eat more.  they did this for a couple of days until i realized they needed a medium flow bottle nipple...i guess they had to suck harder with the slow flow nipple and would wear out.  could it be that?  good luck!
  • Ds eats inbetween 4-6 ounces in a sitting, so in total during a 24 hour he eats about 35 ounces. Recently someone posted a math formula that was supposed to determine how much a babe should be eating but I didn't save the link :( if I recall correctly the formula is based on how much lo weighs.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagefadedgrace:
    Ds eats inbetween 4-6 ounces in a sitting, so in total during a 24 hour he eats about 35 ounces. Recently someone posted a math formula that was supposed to determine how much a babe should be eating but I didn't save the link :( if I recall correctly the formula is based on how much lo weighs.

I think it's 2.5oz x baby's weight

Lillian April 17, 2012
  • DS takes 5oz bottles. Finishes most of them, depending on if he's going through some kind of growth spurt. He also sleeps 12 hours at night, and only eats once. So he goes about 8-9 hours between his MOTN bottle, then another 3 or 4 hours. During the day he eats every 3-4 hours. He is FF.
  • imagejanniep:
    my four month old twins will usually take 6-7 oz of formula.  at around 3 months they used to stop eating and play with the bottle and refuse to eat more.  they did this for a couple of days until i realized they needed a medium flow bottle nipple...i guess they had to suck harder with the slow flow nipple and would wear out.  could it be that?  good luck!

My DD does this (play with the nipple).  Looks like I'll be making a trip to Target to get a medium flow nipple.  Thanks! 

• I give my LO (FF) 4oz bottles.  Sometimes she finishes it all, other times she leaves 1-.5oz.  She eats every 2-3 hours during the day and eats once in the moth, although last night made it until 5:45!

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I exclusively pump ... 3.5-4oz in each bottle, generally 6 bottles (sometimes 7) in a day.  I'd say he averages between 22-25oz a day. By 10:00 this morning he'd already had 3 bottles as he woke at 4am screaming to be fed.  For the most part he takes a bottle between 9-10 and then will sleep until 6, take a bottle and go back down until 8-ish.  That's not always a guarantee but it's the average.  He's small, weighing a little over 12lbs at 4 months 3 weeks.

Our Journey to Brenden

IVF #1: 4/11(Follistim/Menopur/Ganirelix) 10 retrieved/8 mature and all 8 fertilized / 2 embies transferred ... nothing to freeze Beta 5/10 = BFN

IVF Take 2 Long Lupron July 2011

ER 7/3/11 (our 6th anniversary) - 8 retrieved/7 mature/fert ....ET 7/6/11 - 2 beautiful grade A 8 cell embryos

Beta 7/18/11 - 149!!! Beta 7/21/11 - 311 Beta 7/28/11 - 2,000 8/5/11 - Empty Sac 8/8/11 - There's a yolk sac and maybe a heartbeat 8/12/11 - Fetal pole, yolk sac, heartbeat 8/18/11 - Baby looks GREAT!
    3 babies waiting on ice

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• imagetheresat858:
    Most ebf babies will only ever take 3-4oz in a feeding; 25 ounce total for the day (24hrs). Are you EP? If you bf at night but pump during the day it could be reverse cycling as well.  BM adjusts as they get older so that this amount stays relatively constant excerpt for growth spurts.

This is what my LO does.  He eats 6-7 times a day, and I assume he takes about 24 oz.  When he takes a bottle, he takes 4 oz.

imageimage
                                                                            A15 January Siggy Challenge- 

Workout/fitness fails 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • My DD takes 5 oz in a bottle - she takes 5 bottles per day, and we are doing a meal of rice cereal with breast milk when she gets home from day care.  She may or may not take a sixth bottle...depends on the day's activities.  She usually sleeps pretty well during the evening.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • DS is ebf and takes an average of 6 oz when given a bottle of pumped bm. Sometimes more or less depending on how hungry he is. He eats like every 2 hours during the day. He has sttn since about 4 weeks old.
  • FYI, you can't compare formula and breastmilk on this one. Breastmilk is more calorically dense than formula, so it's normal for BM fed babies to eat fewer ounces than FF babies.

My daughter is 3 months and and exclusively breastfed and has never taken more than 4 oz maximum from a bottle, and usually only takes 3 oz.  She sleeps 9-10 hours at night now.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"