September 2012 Moms

Birthing balls

I asked my OB last week about whether or not the hospital has birthing balls to use. She said yes, but advised that we bring our own if we have one (which I do). She said that although they clean them after each use, she personally wouldn't trust a plastic ball that other people's ladybits had been laboring on for hours, no matter how "clean". I hadn't really thought of that before. I am not a huge germaphobe, but once she said that, I couldn't get the image of nasty used birthing balls out of my head. Just thought I'd put that out there. 

Met DH - Aug 2001 :: Married - Jan 2010 :: DD born - Sept 2012

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

Re: Birthing balls

• I'm going to try really hard to forget that I read that. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Our hospital supplies them and actually tells people to leave theirs at home because they are so bulky.  They don't allow people to sit on them without (what I call) pee pads (you know those things that look like little dog indoor pee pads).  They layer them here about 4 ontop before you sit on the ball. 

If you get a hospital tour I would ask them rather than your OB.  They would have a better idea of what they do. 

Baby #2 on its way - EDD June 4th!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imagelzmac11:

Our hospital supplies them and actually tells people to leave theirs at home because they are so bulky.  They don't allow people to sit on them without (what I call) pee pads (you know those things that look like little dog indoor pee pads).  They layer them here about 4 ontop before you sit on the ball. 

If you get a hospital tour I would ask them rather than your OB.  They would have a better idea of what they do. 

That's smart! I will see if that's what they do. 

Met DH - Aug 2001 :: Married - Jan 2010 :: DD born - Sept 2012

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Ours are cleaned after each use but they are also covered with a sheet and two "puppy pads" so your bits are never on the actual ball to begin with.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagelinzeek44:

I'm going to try really hard to forget that I read that. 

As am I, granted I am not planning on using a birthing ball, but still bad images came to my mind that I would like to forget!

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageManx4:
    Ours are cleaned after each use but they are also covered with a sheet and two "puppy pads" so your bits are never on the actual ball to begin with.

• imageManx4:
    Ours are cleaned after each use but they are also covered with a sheet and two "puppy pads" so your bits are never on the actual ball to begin with.

OMG, I never would have thought about the potential dirtiness of these. So gross.

• imagelinzeek44:

Yup.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagelinzeek44:

ditto!! Just added anti bacterial wipes to my list of what to pack

• Ditto PPs about there being a barrier between your bits and the ball.  When I was in labor with DS, they covered the birthing ball with a pee pad and a little cloth.
    Natural hospital birthing, babywearing, cloth diapering, co-sleeping, Baby Led Weaning, milk donating, extended breastfeeding, fully vaxing, extended rear facing SAHM to:
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • If you're still skeeved out by the thought of using the hospital's ball, I bought one from Walmart for $8.  It's the gold's gym exercise ball.   I've been sitting on it at home when I need to take some pressure off of my back and hips.    Love it.  I plan on taking mine to the hospital. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'd just hope that they'd clean them as well as they clean any other instrument that gets used with multiple patients - like those metal things that they use for paps or birthing tubs.

• Mine had a sheet and multiple pads on top as well.  I'm not worried about it.
  • The doula who did my prepared childbirth class said the same thing.  I bought a new one at Wal-Mart for $9. I'm pretty sure I won't use it ever again after laboring on it too.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"