April 2013 Moms

Working moms?

I noticed we have many SAHMs on this board, but I am curious to see how many employed moms we have? and what do you do? and will you work after baby?

I'm a Dental Assistant and I work 4 days a week.  I plan to take 10 wks maternity leave, then return back to work.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Working moms?

• I am a massage therapist and esthetician and make my own schedule. I plan to go back to work but cutting down my hours. I think I will work 3 or 4 days, 5 hours per day. Hopefully that will work out!!
  • I work part-time, but I haven't decided how I'll handle maternity leave, yet, because I'll only be one quarter away from being finished with my Master's when I have LO.  I might try to time the job search so that I can quit my current job (lame-o night audit gig) before I give birth and then start a new job after a few months.  Chances are that I'd have to quit without being sure that I'd find another job... but my sad little income doesn't contribute too much to our household anyway.

I don't know if I'd really rush it. Our long-term plan is for DH to quit his job and be a SAHD when I get my "real" career going. He'd probably be okay with it if I opted to stay home through the first 6 months or so, though. Wink

Mommy to four +1, EDD November 9th!

Come visit my new blog @ sixpickhappy.wordpress.com!

• Loading the player...
  • I work as well. I'm a mental health therapist for the local health region. i work full time but ideally i would like to work 3 days a week. i just don't know if that's possible because we have not had full time staffing in 3 or more years. 2 are out on medical leaves right now with their returns still in the air (and no one covering their caseloads). i don't think they are going to be happy when they find out i'm pregnant ( we get a year mat leave here, so it means long to be without staff if they can't find a replacement). i will request a decrease in time, but if its granted or not will be the question!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I'm a musician, so I have many small jobs. I will no longer keep my church choir job so we can all go to church together (my husband has a church job too) I teach private voice lessons, and will cut back so I only have the students that come to my house. I will definitely continue my Arbonne business, because it is already a work-from-home deal. I'll keep singing, too, but most gigs don't require much time away, either. My husband and I talked about me being a SAHM even before we were engaged, so this is something I've been preparing for.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm a full time RN and hope to work as long as I can until it's time to deliver but don't know how long I'll be able to last because my job is so physically demanding.  I work 3-4 days a week for 12.5 hrs - night shift 7 p - 7:30 am so sleep is already a challenge.  Will take 3 mos off after the baby comes...perhaps more if I've banked enough time :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Working mom here and will definitely work after baby.  I'm a CPA in management and work 40-45 hours a week most weeks.
  • I am a Planner in the supply chain dept at a party goods company.  Provided no unforeseen circumstances I am definitely planning on working up to a week or so before birth and then will take about 10 weeks off.  I would love to be a SAHM but having the bigger of our two salaries really wont allow that to happen.  So our LO will be in full time day care unless we can find someone we really trust from church or family to watch ether full time or to supplement day care..
  • I work in finance and plan to work after LO comes. I took 10 weeks with DD and will attempt the same.

• imagesarabagan:

I noticed we have many SAHMs on this board, but I am curious to see how many employed moms we have? and what do you do? and will you work after baby?

I'm a Dental Assistant and I work 4 days a week.  I plan to take 10 wks maternity leave, then return back to work.

I'm a teacher, and I have spent a lot of time thinking about what I will do after my baby is born. The timing works out great for this school year.... I am due in April, I get 6 weeks off, and then I only have to go back back for a few more weeks before the school year is finished and I have the whole summer off!

I don't think that me not working at all is even an option, but my job is incredibly and all-consuming. I teach high school English, and while some days I love it, it's a lot. I have to deal with rude kids, angry parents, and I take on the emotional issues of students all the time. On top of that, I am always sitting on a huge stack of papers that need grading, or lessons that need planning, and I never have much time for myself. I don't know how I will balance that with motherhood, and I don't want to give so much of myself to my job that I don't have enough leftover for my child at the end of the day. I guess time will tell! 

Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • I work full time at a bank. DH and I had many discussions on this and when the baby comes, I am going to stay home. We also live in the middle of nowhere. I commute 40 minutes to work and DH commutes about 30. This was also a factor in me staying home. 
    Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Marketing Manager for Target Corp.  I will be working after baby, but plan to take the longest leave possible.  I'm lucky in that Target has amazing benefits, especially for moms. 

Someday we'd love for me to be abe to stay home but it isn't in the cards quite yet.

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I'm also an RN but I work weekends. Right now I work two 12.5 hour day shifts in a row and get paid for 3 days (full time for us). I plan on taking between 8-10 weeks off and then going back. I am lucky enough to have a place to pump while I'm working and wonderful co-workers to help me out! DH is a fireman and his schedule rotates. I have off during the week to take care of  LO and take older sister to school. On the weekends that both DH and I work his parents are 15 min away to help out with daycare. Very lucky!
  • I'm not technically working but I go to vet school full time. There is no maternity leave in vet school so I am planning on attending class right up until I go into labor (this is in an ideal world with no complications of course) and returning as soon as I can. I am due April 12 and finals are April 15-19 so it should be interesting. 
  • I work full time in advertising.  I plan to take 8 weeks off and go back full time.  I would LOVE to stay at home but it isn't in the cards for us.  We like to do too many things that we wouldn't be able to if I stayed home.

BabyFruit Ticker  

Little West #1: Born May 23, 2013

Little West #2: Due April 15, 2015

2U2 Fossil Mommy

• I work full time in sales.  I am hoping to take 8 weeks off after the birth.  DS has been in full time day care since he was 8 weeks old.  He loves it.
  • I work full time for an environmental non-profit. I will take 12 weeks off, and would love to be able to stay home but I don't think we can make it work financially. DH is a high school teacher so at least he will be home for a few months when I go back to work after the baby comes. They will have good bonding time!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I plan to keep working after baby arrives. I'm a consultant. The plan is to work from home the first year and have in-home nanny

BFP #2: 11-7-14, CP (BFN: 11-13-14)

BFP #3: 3/24/15 EDD: 12/5/15

• I'm a retail manager, 40 hours/ week, mostly on my feet.  It's a physically demanding, fast-paced, sometimes stressful job for which I'm underpaid.  Unless I get promoted or am basically promised a promotion, I'll have to leave after having another baby, because my take-home pay after paying for childcare will be about $1.50 an hour.  Definitely not worth it.
  • I work full-time. I work from home on Fridays though. I wouldn't want to be a SAHM. It's just not for me. I will take the 12 weeks of maternity leave this time, as I did last time.

ETA: I'm a financial analyst for a defense contractor.

~Chelsea~
    image"">imageimage
  • Full time Email Marketing Project Manager for Brooks Brothers.  Only receive 6 weeks paid maternity but going to hoard my vacation days and add 2 weeks to that.  No way that I would be able to stay home : (  I'm sure it is going to be so hard.  My mom and MIL are teachers so hopefully i will have some help this summer and then daycare.

• I work full-time and will continue after this little one is born.  I will probably take 8 weeks off like I did w/ DD.  Although 12 wks has crossed my mind.  Would have been nice last time to be home a little bit longer. I am the Marketing Director at a Financial company.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

Adalyn 9/28/2010 & Peter 4/1/2013

• I am a Social Worker and work full-time, will definately be returning to work after having baby.

I forget how blessed we are here in Canada, but I will be taking my full 1-year maternity leave (gov't pays around 400 per week and my work pays me 20% of my pay). It will be a pay cut but am definately looking forward to a year of bonding with my LO!

• I plan on continuing to working full time after the baby is born. I will probably take 12 weeks of maternity leave before going back to work.

Baby on Board - My Blog 

Anniversary

• I work full time in Community Development - I work on attracting business to our community. I will take a year off after the baby is born - as per the norm in Canada. 
  • I'm already a working mom and will probably stay one, its just not in the budget right now for me to stay home.  I am a mortgage closer/processor.

BabyFruit Ticker fallfun
  • I'm a FT working mom now to a 1 year old.  I plan to go back FT after this LO too, after taking the full 12 weeks maternity allowed like last time.  I work in finance, enjoy what I do and am very happy having something outside the house, as hectic as it can be juggling it all.
  • DH and I have been aggressively paying off our debt [just knocked out his SL's], so that I can come home after this LO. I work in the Registrar's Office at an online university and operate a photography business as well.

family of five in 2013! :: my chart
    Zipped lips upon accessing, please :: the blog
    DS1 4.26.2009 :: M/C @ 9w 2010 :: DS2 6.26.2011 :: #3 EDD 4.17.2013
    imageimageBabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm a pharmacist and I currently work 32 hours a week. Ideally I would take 12 weeks leave like I did with DS, but I was in the process of looking for a new job when I got pregnant and I still want a new job, so we'll have to see how things work out money wise since I likely won't be eligible for paid mat leave at a new job. Totally worth it to get out of the job situation I'm in though. Eventually I'd like to be down to 20 hours a week, but it'll be a bit before DH's pay allows us to take that step
  • Right now I am a student/SAHM. In September I will be doing my student teaching and will graduate in December. I then plan to substitute teach until the end of March and hopefully get a job in the fall! As much as I have loved staying at home with DS for the last almost 8 months, I am looking forward to starting my career. It helps that I have a great daycare provider who I completely trust.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'm a teacher. I have 3 more weeks off before I go back to school. It'll be interesting to see how tired I am when I can't have an afternoon nap with my son. I'll be taking a year off with this LO like I did with DS (Canadian you know). I'm just not sure if I'll go back early or extend my leave take the summer off and go back in September (like I did with DS). It'll all depend if I have enough hours when I go back to get paid in the summer.
  • I'm a physical therapist at a rehab and I've been working 2-3 shifts a week since having my son, I will keep the same schedule after #2.
  • I work full time as a corporate event planner. I work from home one day a week now and will do the same when the next LO arrives. I plan to work right up until my c/s is scheduled and then I will take 12 weeks leave.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BFP #2 8/4/12 EDD 4/17/13 Miscarraige @ 20wks due to Triploidy Syndrome *****Baby girl Grace Forever our little angel baby watching over us all*****
  • I am a FT secretary and work a 4/10 schedule. DH and I would love to have me be a SAHM, but most likely I will work either FT or PT. A co-worker, who recently had a baby, told me that it is really difficult to find PT day care. So, day care options will play a factor in our decision.

• I'm an art director for a family media brand (print & digital content for kids). I work full time.

I would love to work part-time but we are so short staffed at this point I just can't imagine that would be approved. 

I'm planning to take the max 12 weeks offered through FMLA, it will be unpaid but worth it to me.  With my first daughter I went back after 6 weeks and looking back I wish I would have just enjoyed that time with the baby and recovered a little more before jumping back into work.

Daughter Emily - 10/28/03, and baby on the way makes 4! Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm a special educator. I will go on leave when the baby comes. I'm hoping to go parttime next school year.
  • Lots of hard working women in here! Not that SAHMs don't work hard, but I have done both, and being a working mom is a tad more stressful. Good luck to us all. We will be doing some major juggling!
  • I work in administration at a university.  I have continued working after my DS was born and will most likely continue after this, but DH and I are starting to explore options and figure out if there is any way we can make it work with my working PT or staying home. 

I only took about 4 weeks leave last time (terrible idea...).  I will most likely take at least 6 this time, hopefully 8.

BFP 1: 8/1/2009 EDD: 5/1/2010 Missed M/C: 10/1/2009
    BFP 2: 4/13/2010 EDD: 1/15/2011 DS Born: 1/14/2011 (Evan Isaiah)
    BFP 3: 11/29/2011 EDD: 8/3/2012 Missed M/C: 1/12/2012
    MTHFR diagnosis: 2/7/2012
    BFP 4: 8/12/2012 EDD: 4/23/2013 Yay!! Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    "Heaven blew every trumpet and played every horn on the wonderful, marvelous night you were born."

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm a nurse. I plan to go back part time and then after maybe 6 months or so go back full time

Married 8-02-08

After 3 years TTC with PCOS and two losses Olivia Nikelle was born 4-08-13

TTC #2 Since August 2014

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"