Natural Birth
Options

Garlic tampon for yeast...holy cow it works!

So I had been researching and using resources from you ladies about how to clear out GBS to hopefully avoid any invasive treatment during labor. I sort of chuckled at the garlic insertion idea and have instead been doing pretty much everything else except that.

Well, I don't know if it's all the probiotics I started up on this last week, if I just shook everything up trying to clear it out or what, but the past couple of days I felt like I might be getting a yeast infection. I've never had one before so I'm not sure, but the symptoms were either that or maybe bacterial vaginitis? I had read that the garlic was also a great treatment for these types of conditions too.

Anyhoo, last night as I lay down for bed I realized things were not getting better, but it was 11pm and I wasn't about to head out to the store for remedies if I didn't have to and I didn't want to call my midwives at that point. So I headed to the kitchen and peeled a garlic clove. My husband stared at me like I was from outer space.

Popped that sucker in and woke up this morning nearly symptom free! I can walk and sit comfortably again without itching or burning. What the?!?! I put raw coconut oil on topically for the day and I'll be repeating the treatment tonight and possibly every night until my GBS swab. I mean, now that I've done it once, I may as well continue on and hopefully it helps me clear out any GBS that might be lingering as well as yeast right?

I'm sure this is no shock to some of you who've tried it, but I was not excited to give this a shot. Now I'm feeling sheepish for being a skeptic. I'm so stinking pleased to discover it was not only comfortable and easy, but really effective! I will probably ask to be checked at my next midwife appointment just to be sure there's nothing else going on. Not sure if I should mention to them that I shoved a garlic clove in there, but I might...:o) 

Just thought I'd put this out there for any other skeptics like myself.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Garlic tampon for yeast...holy cow it works!

• Options
    I had success with inserting plain yogurt during my last pregnancy.  If it didn't work I was going to try the garlic.  It's good to know that it works too!

• Options

image+adamwife+:
    I had success with inserting plain yogurt during my last pregnancy.  If it didn't work I was going to try the garlic.  It's good to know that it works too!

I had plain yogurt and thought about that too, but didn't really know how to insert it. I don't have any tampons in the house since I switched to a diva cup. How did you do it? Did you do it for GBS or yeast? 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

*files this away in things to remember for future pregnancies*

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageTarta:

image+adamwife+:

I had plain yogurt and thought about that too, but didn't really know how to insert it. I don't have any tampons in the house since I switched to a diva cup. How did you do it? Did you do it for GBS or yeast? 

Yeast.  It sounds gross, but I just scooped some up with a few fingers and inserted it.  It was a messy job, but I only had to do it once.  I was also taking probiotics orally, so it could have been the combo that worked.

• Options

I'm a huge fan of garlic for yeast and GBS! 

Another good remedy is to sit in diluted raw apple cider vinegar.  I run a shallow bath and add a cup or so to the water.  It helps a ton!

• Options
    So....... do you just peel this garlic and pop it in or do you have to . . . idk poke it to get it garlicy, def interesting..
  • Options
    I did the yogurt thing - froze it in the fingers of a latex glove, then inserted my yogurt popsicle :)
  • Options

imageAnxiousmami:
    So....... do you just peel this garlic and pop it in or do you have to . . . idk poke it to get it garlicy, def interesting..

You peel a clove or two of organic garlic then insert them into your vagina.  Be careful not to nick the clove.  You should taste a slight garlic taste in your mouth.  If you don't then it isn't working.  I know it sounds strange but it's true that you can taste it. 

If you don't taste anything, then you can slightly crush or nick the clove.  It might burn a bit, but you'll know its working. 

• Options

imagejunie216:
    I did the yogurt thing - froze it in the fingers of a latex glove, then inserted my yogurt popsicle :)

But wouldn't the freezing defeat the purpose and kill all of the probiotics?

I'm thinking if I ever do this again it would make sense to get one of the medicine syringes that you use to give babies liquid meds.  I could just shoot it up there.

• Options
    Just wanted to add that the middle school girl in me finds this conversation hilarious! :)
    imageimage

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    image+adamwife+:

imagejunie216:

But wouldn't the freezing defeat the purpose and kill all of the probiotics?

I'm thinking if I ever do this again it would make sense to get one of the medicine syringes that you use to give babies liquid meds.  I could just shoot it up there.

No.  Freezing kills a little percentage, but as long as the yogurt says live active cultures it is ok.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"