1st Trimester

Period late on birth control. Advice?

I have been taking birth control regularly for years.  I even set alarms to take it at the same time of day every day.  I should have started my period Wednesday.  Home pregnancy test currently shows negative.  Has anyone had this happen before? Thanks for the advice. 

Re: Period late on birth control. Advice?

• Go to your doctor?  Maybe your O'd later than usual or something else is wrong.  Go to your OB for some bloodwork.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thanks for the feedback.  I just haven't been late in the 5 years I've been on the pill. Didn't know if someone else had experienced this.
  • Loading the player...
  • Use backup in the meantime. Give it a few days and if no AF, take another test. I've had self resolving cysts on my ovaries cause me to skip a period. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageGhostMonkey:
    imageMrsNiner:

Go to your doctor?  Maybe your O'd later than usual or something else is wrong.  Go to your OB for some bloodwork.

You don't ovulate on birth control genius. Kind of how it works. 

There is zero reason to run to your OB. It's quite normal to not have withdrawl bleeding while on the pill. As longs as the tests are negative, you are fine. If you go another cycle without bleeding, then maybe call, but it is not uncommon to have no period with hormonal birth control.

Yes 

• I wouldn't bother your doctor. It's very normal for your cycles to be "off" the first few months following going off your BC.

My little man at 0-1-2
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin me baby!
    BabyFruit Ticker http://mamasaywhat.com/

• I had that happen to me once and I was not pregnant. My period was randomly like 3 or 4 days late on the pill and that had NEVER happened before.
  • In the many years I was on hormonal bc, first thei pill and then the nuvaring, I missed my "period" twice.  

Married 4/12/08 DS born 11/17/2009 via c-section at 39 weeks. 11/12/2011 BFP #2!! m/c 7w5d. 2/28/2012 BFP #3 Beta #1-12dpo = 18; Beta #2-16dpo = 185; Beta #3-18dpo = 505. EDD 11/10/2012. Ectopic discovered at 5w4d. D&C followed by methotrexate.
  • I got pregnant with my son while I was on BC pills.  I took it everyday the same time...no changes at the time...I guess I was just that small percent.

BUT...my AF was SO regular while on BC..that when I didn't get it on scheduled day...I took a test next morning and it was positive IMMEDIATELY.

Good Luck

• Thanks for the feedback from everyone.  I've been taking ortho tri cyclen for almost a year.  Ortho novum before that for a total of over 5 years.  I did not try to come off birth control.  I have still not started my period at this point, and I took another home pregnancy test and it's still negative.  I'm concerned about starting a new pack of pills.  My husband and I want children, we were just hoping to wait another little while. 
  • imageprocella_lamia:
    Thanks for the feedback.  I just haven't been late in the 5 years I've been on the pill. Didn't know if someone else had experienced this.

A few months before my wedding, I got on a low-dose birth control pill. I had a couple "periods" like normal, but right after my honeymoon, it never came. Well I started FREAKING out that I was pregnant with a honeymoon baby, because the time change threw me off and I took some pills late. It turned out I wasn't pregnant, and I actually missed a few more "periods" while still on that pill. However, when I was on another brand of pill a few years before that, I never missed the bleeding either. I'm sure you're fine, but if you're still worried, take another pregnancy test in a week. 

Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • imageexpatmama:

Again, NOT TRUE. Progesterone only pills do not prevent ovulation only implantation and these are not uncommon. The combination pill prevents both ovulation and implantation. The OP did not state what kind of pill she was taking, so it isn't necessarily true that she isn't ovulating.

Also some statistics say 1/5 women will still ovulate with the pill - not exactly a rarity.

AND the failure rate is for when the pill is USED PROPERLY and does not account for miss use, at least that is what it always says on my package.

But apparently you have to be not only right but also obnoxious about it. So Yay for you! 

Wrong.  Progesterone only BC works primarily to trick your body into thinking it is already pregnant, therefore not releasing an egg.  Some types, like the mini-pill, also change the environment of your uterus on the off chance an egg is released. 

imageimage
    2 years, 2 surgeries, 2 clomid fails, 2 IUIs, 1 loss, IVF #1 - 10/25/10 = BFP!, DS is now 3.5yrs!
    TTC #2 - 6/12 surgery #3, FET #1 & 1.2 = BFN, 12/2012 FET #2 = BFP! DD is 1.5 yrs!
    Surprise! 12/16/14 BFP, loss #2 12/31/14

I can't wait for the "im getting a divorce" post in 5 years or so because your husbands were fed up with your disgusting chair asses from playing on the knot all day and getting fired 4-5 times for not doing any work. you guys are all winners!! ~ Laur929

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"