Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Sleep training, nap schedules

My daughter is 7 weeks and is what I would consider an easy baby. She sleeps well during the day and only wakes for one night feeding with her longest stretch of sleep being about 6.5 hours. Her temperament is very happy and easy going. I have been reading Healthy Sleep Habits Happy Child for advice on reading baby's cues and the 1-2hours of wakefulness has been very helpful for assisting my daughter to sleep. The last few days she has been off. Her naps have been more sporadic and only lasting 30 minutes or so. Fortunately she is still sleeping well at night. Today, my husband was home all day and she did not want to nap or go to bed. I am not sure if it is because she knew daddy was home. It would not have worried me if she hadn't had previous difficult days. I know we aren't supposed to sleep train at his age, but she already has set her own routine that I am just following. Is it possible she is turning into a short napper? I don't want her to get used to falling asleep in our arms, which is what she did a lot of today, poor thing was so tired, especially since she has already been able to fall asleep on her own in her pack n play with some soothing from us. Any tips, advice or experience, particularly with the Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child on this issue?

Re: Sleep training, nap schedules

• She's a baby and this is totally normal. Kids go through different sleep patterns and as they get older, they are more alert and aware. Do not sleep train your 7 week old. Follow her cues, and if that means holding her, hold her. She's too young to create bad habits. Thank your lucky stars that you had an easy newborn and get ready for parenting...it's not always an easy gig!
    "Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies. God damn it, you've got to be kind." - Kurt Vonnegut
  • Don't expect too much of her too soon! Poor thing is only 7 weeks old. She could just be having an off day or week. Things should revert back to "normal" soon. You have it good.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Everything is a phase...  the good, the bad, and everything in between.
  • She could be going through a growth spurt or wonder week.  As PP said, don't expect to much consistancy at this age.  
    TTC since 2009 started going to RE 5/2011:
    Polyp removed/hypothyriod 6/2011
    7/2011 IUI#1 w/ 150 Follistim/Ovidrel trigger BFN
    8/2011 IUI#2 w/225 Follistim/Ovidrel trigger BFN
    10/2011 IUI#3 w/300 Follistim/Ovidrel trigger (BFP)
    beta #1: 195 beta#2: 502
    7/2013 Back to RE because my uterus is OLD Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageerbear:
    She's a baby and this is totally normal. Kids go through different sleep patterns and as they get older, they are more alert and aware. Do not sleep train your 7 week old. Follow her cues, and if that means holding her, hold her. She's too young to create bad habits. Thank your lucky stars that you had an easy newborn and get ready for parenting...it's not always an easy gig!

Yes, do not attempt to do any kind of sleep training on an infant less than 6 months old! You're on baby's schedule now, just follow her cues.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • When was she born? HSHHC talks extensively about how babies peak in fussiness and get more regular after 6-8 weeks after the due date. She could just be going through that. I'd say enjoy your easy baby for now, even if she's less easy for a few days. You won't mess her up.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"