Cloth Diapering

i cant get rid of barnyard!

I posted yesterday about having barn yard stink. I re-washed all my dipes and inserts after DOUBLING the amount of detergent and they still have a smell (although its better than yesterday) when she pees.

What do i do about this? if it's time to strip, I can't strip with Blue dawn (voids my warranty) I would need suggestions on how to do this.  I know BG rec 1/4c bleach 1x/month but I dont know how to do this (stupid... I know!). I have hard water as well. please tell me where to go from here... I want to keep cd but this is getting me very hot headed!

BabyFruit Ticker}

Re: i cant get rid of barnyard!

• When I've bleached (only twice, and only because BG recommends it, I did not have stink) I did pre-wash on cold, then put in the detergent and bleach w/the hot water cycle, triple rinsed. I have a separate dispenser for bleach, but if you don't I would just wait until the washer is full of hot water and then put it in (I'd dilute it first so no direct bleach gets on anything). I only bleached pockets (BGs and a couple kawaii). Not sure if you can/should bleach fitteds or other diapers.

DS1: Wild Man born 11/28/07
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • i have an he fl and i do have separate diapenser for bleach.... can i bleach the pockets or  just the inserts? wont the colors of the pockets be altered? also should i add even more detergent? ive been adding a wet towel for weight. should i do this when bleaching as well?
    BabyFruit Ticker}
  • Loading the player...
  • warm initial first rinse (use quick wash cycle if you have it) Then use Calgon water softener (powder) with Tide Ultra original powder (HE safe)  in a heavy duty wash with a prewash with detergent and an extra rinse at the end. I don't recommend using it daily although many here on the board swear by it, I'm just allergic to all the additives, so obviously I don't like it ..... but man does it really clean....

If that doesn't work for you and you want to strip.... in a front loader you need to use RLR.  That is the name not an abbreviation.  A few of the cloth diaper stores sell it online, but I bought mine from amazon.  One package would do.  After you use it, rinse a few more times with warm water until you see no more soap bubbles.  

I would recommend using calgon with everywash,.

If the house ain't burned down and the baby's fed it was a successful day. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I second Brenda's very good advice. Also have you considered it may be type of detergent? I can't remember what you said you use. I don't like to regularly use Tide either but it works fabulously in situations like this.
  • How hard is your hard water? You may need to use borax or calgon with tide if your water is very hard.

I recommend doing a hot overnight soak with tide, rinse it out, then another hot wash with tide. That should dissolve all the buildup that's causing stink.

• imagesosoph:

How hard is your hard water? You may need to use borax or calgon with tide if your water is very hard.

I recommend doing a hot overnight soak with tide, rinse it out, then another hot wash with tide. That should dissolve all the buildup that's causing stink.

i use calgon with every wash.... ive read that detergent wont kill the bacteria causing the stink.... do you think i can mix calgon and bleach in the same dispenser?
    BabyFruit Ticker}
  • I would probably put the calgon in with the soap, and the bleach in it's own compartment. You don't have to worry about the bleach changing the colours of your pockets, and should probably wash all your diapers, inserts and wetbags with the bleach. Make sure to keep rinsing until there is no more bleach smell.

If you find you still need to strip afterwards,  you could try RLR.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"