Babies: 0 - 3 Months

How do you keep your NB awake during the day?

My little guy has his days and nights confused. Hes up for 6 hours straight at night and is in a deep sleep all day. How do you wake your NB during the day and keep them up for a bit?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: How do you keep your NB awake during the day?

• We will start rubbing arms, back, feet... Then we talk to her, dance, move her limbs. Turning on a brighter light can sometimes work. I had read that you can also take a damp washcloth and place on LOs forehead... haven't tried this yet! Our pedi suggested that during the day feedings, you should be really animated... while during night feedings you should be "all business." Our LO had her nights confused as well, since babies are essentially born nocturnal. Just with doing feedings differently, we have noticed a change already! :) Good luck!
    imageimage

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• During the day, let him get some sunshine. The sun will reset his brain better than anything else. For the first 2 weeks we were home with LO, we went for a walk after every daytime feed. I tried to follow EAS-> Eat, activity sleep, and for a newbie, 20 minutes outside is activity enough. You can talk at her, sing whatever, but the sun seemed to reset her like magic. Now at 10 weeks, when she's fussy we can pop outside to see "her" sun and she calms down. It only lasted 2 weeks because we live in the south and June and July are HOT! Now, we only do it after the first feed in the morning.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • You shouldn't be trying to keep him up during the day at his age. It'll eventually sort itself out in a couple of weeks. Keeping him up is only going to get him overtired and then good luck to you getting him to sleep at all!

The best thing you can do is get him outside and exposed to indirect sunlight especially before noon. Other than that, let him be to sort things out. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imagecatmtl:

You shouldn't be trying to keep him up during the day at his age. It'll eventually sort itself out in a couple of weeks. Keeping him up is only going to get him overtired and then good luck to you getting him to sleep at all!

The best thing you can do is get him outside and exposed to indirect sunlight especially before noon. Other than that, let him be to sort things out. 

^ that. The earliest they distinguish days and nights would be 3w. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Why would you be trying to keep him up?  Babies that young need to sleep a LOT and they are way too young to get into a schedule.  I agree with a PP to get him out in the sun for a little bit every day (just like 5 minutes maybe 2x a day).  Mine love to go outside.  Sometimes if they're having a hysterical meltdown I can just take them outside and they calm right down.  It's amazing.  Anyway, just let him sleep and be awake when he wants for now and eventually it will start to work itself out.  Promise!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers image image image image
  • Having days and nights switched is totally normal up to 3 months of age.

That said, having light, sound, and activity going on during the day and quiet, dark, boring stuff happening at night can help the transition happen earlier.

Also, a tiny baby shouldn't be up for more than an hour or two, tops. I'd suggest getting a Moby wrap or something similar to wear LO as much as you can during the day (will probably sleep but you'll be active which is great for their brain development) and then swaddle for nighttime sleep. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"