Breastfeeding

Were you breastfed?

Just curious how many other moms here were breastfed and if you were or not, did it impact your decision to breastfeed your own child?

My mother breastfed my brother and I until we both weaned around 18 months.  She has been one of my biggest supporters and the fact that I was breastfed definitely influenced me to breastfeed my daughter.

DD Born 5.9.12

MC March 2016@8.5w

Expecting #2 4/30/17

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

Re: Were you breastfed?

• No, my mom did not breast feed me or my sister.  She was 17 when she had me and 19 when she had my sister.  I think her age was a huge factor.  She had my brother when she was 25 and tried to breastfeed him but gave up after a few weeks.

I'm planning on breast feeding my LO but her decision has not influenced me one way or another.  Too me it's a very personal choice that only I can make.

BabyFruit Ticker

06.10.12 +HPT 06.12.12 Beta #1 = 2,770 06.14.12 Beta #2 = 6,300
    1st U/S 06.18.12 2nd U/S 06.25.12
    09.24.12 It's a Boy!! ---> Jacob Owen

Our IF Journey Began: October 2009
    **8 Failed IUI's, 1 Blighted Ovum, & 1 Failed IVF**
    Dx: MFI, DOR w/MTHFR Homozygous A1298C & Hypothyroidism
    03.2012 Lab Results: FSH 6.83 AMH 0.67 TSH 3.8 E2 17
    SA 156 million 93% motility 3% morphology

Follow Me on Pinterest
    **~PAIF/SAIF Always Welcome~**
  • Yes, but only for 3 months.   Since I am 42-- that was a long time then as most people formula feed at that time.

Honestly however it had no bearing in why I breastfed my son for 13 months and why I am breastfeeding my daughter.  I am doing it because research indicates it is the healtiest option.   Therefore, unless I am really medically not able, I intend to do it for at least 6 months and take it from there after (same as I did with son).  

for me it was just a logical decision- nothing to do with why my mom did or did not do. 

• Loading the player...
  • I wasn't. My mom was 17 and a senior in hs when she had me (I was her first time and clearly an oops!!) everyone told her formula was better for me. That said, she's been a huge supporter of me bf'ing. My IL's didn't seem too excited (despite the fact that she bf dh) but now that he's doubled in weight since he was born and is doing so great I think they are coming around. That and they see that I'm not budging :-) 

Eta- her  choice had no impact on mine. I read the research and decided this was best. 

imageimage

Our little hippo was as impatient as mom!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Hoping for a full 40 weeks!! 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• I was not.  She was 31, but it was the 80s.  I think most women FF then.  It didn't affect my decision.  
    Hilary
    imageimage
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My mom tried to BF me, but got mastitis after about 2 weeks...she got some bad advice from her OB who told her she had to stop BFing while she had the infection (it was the 70s...the absolute opposite is true!).  However, she went on to BF both of my younger sisters until they were at least 1 year old.  This did not affect my decision, but she has been very supportive!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I was EBF until 4ish months, then I got formula while my twin was EBF past 1yr.  I'm not bitter.  Haha. 

My younger sister and brother were BF past 1yr as well.

My sisters BFed their girls - one sister EBF and the other BF/FF.  To me, it was not a question, I wanted to BF.  Plus, I am cheap and didn't want to buy something that was free.

My mom and sisters didn't BF much past 1yr so they are starting to question when I'm going to wean LO.  My MIL said to me that BFing past 1yr was "gross" so that's my motivation to keep going.  DH does not know if he was BFed or not. 

It's certainly the "norm" in my family - I don't know if I could have dealt with the pressure/questions to FF.  The weaning questions are distracting now. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My mom tried, but gave up after a few weeks.  She tried again with my first sister who tured out to be a biter and I think when my next sister arrived 13 months later she just went straight for the formula.  She's relatively supportive (she'll make comments sometimes that I just ignore), but she always says that she was terrible at breast feeding.  I always respond with the fact that I had a TON of support to help me out - the nurses at my hospital, a lactation consultant and you guys, so my chances of success were much higher than hers.  I didn't base my decision on her experience though, I'm doing what I feel is right for our family. 
  • Yes, but just for a couple of months or so I think.  Mama had to go back to work and so she switched me to formula.  She did the same with my brother.  BTW she is jealous of my double electric pump- she wishes they'd had those in the 80s.

She did somewhat influence me, but mostly it was my own decision based on research and like pp said why pay for something that's free!

• My sisters and I were all breastfed.  My mom let us self wean and did extended breastfeeding with me.  I am planning on letting Nina self wean.  That really didn't influence my decision on what we are doing.  
    Pregnancy Ticker

• I was for 2 months. My mom stopped after several problems with BF... which turned out my own BF experience was a carbon copy of hers. She had suffered PPD and at that time it wasnt really a "thing" yet so she was completely without support. When I started flying down that same road she was a constant place for support for me. I pump now, but I didnt give up which is due to my moms encouragement.

And seeing her now with my DD makes me happy that we BOTH are enjoying life with a new baby around and I wish there was more BF support for her when it was her time!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • i was formula fed and apparently started solids at 9 weeks. WTF? my mom's parenting only influences mine in the "what not to do" category. my mom is not very supportive of me and doesn't really get breastfeeding, but i don't care. on the otherhand, my MIL breastfed both of her boys and is crazy supportive. i love having her as a supporter. but i made the decision to breastfeed all on my own, after watching two close friends/ coworkers successfully breastfeed their children.
  • My Mom BF all four of her kids, me included, past 1yr. Interestingly enough, since she SAH none of us have ever taken a bottle. Although she admits that her choices, like BFing, were outside the norm (late 70s - early 80s) and she was "that weird hippy" lol.

My sisters both BF their children, and it's pretty much the norm in my family. H's family is all FF. So there's not much support from that side. They aren't openly against it, but I think they just don't understand why it's so important to me/H. Although MIL did ask if there was a medical need to wean at 1yr? I just laughed and said no. 

In a way yes my Mom's decision did impact mine. I knew before having kids that we were breastfed, and my sisters had kids before I did (1st niece born when I was 19) so I think growing up/living with it as the normal way to feed babies made it the default idea. I never considered FF as an option. And having them around for support was invaluable in making BFing a success.

imageimage
  • Interesting responses - thanks!  My husband's family all FF, a few of them have told me that it was just what they did back then.  It does seem that breastfeeding support/education has come a long way, but still has a long way to go.

DD Born 5.9.12

MC March 2016@8.5w

Expecting #2 4/30/17

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • My sister was bf and I was not. My mom is not very supportive, especially in this situation. I am determined to keep trying anyway!
    Our Girls
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    AquinnahDori
    "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming..."
  • Despite being children of the early/mid 80s, my brother and I were both breastfed. He had no interest in nursing and she stopped with him at 11 months (and did cow's milk, not formula).

I was breastfed until I was 3, much to my father's dismay and mother's delight.

ETA: I never really questioned whether or not to breastfeed... formula feeding always seemed so foreign to me. And the more I researched the topic, the more I was sure I wanted to do it.

DH and his 3 younger siblings were all breastfed, although his mother passed away 10 years ago before we met and I do not know for how long each was breastfed. My ILs don't live locally, so I didn't get any support, positive or negative, from them.

#3 Due April 2016
  • I've always known my mother breastfed my sister for a few months (I think around 4-5), and then breastfed me, but for less, only about 2 months.  You see, my sister & I are only 15 months apart, and she always said it was easier to just say "Here, you take the baby" and hand me to my dad, while she took care of my toddler sister!  And my baby brother didn't get breastfed at all.  Also, all of this was in the 80s and there just wasn't the support & push there is now.  That being said, she thinks it great that I am breastfeeding, and I think she wishes she was able to do it longer with us.

That didn't factor into my decision to breastfeed at all, as for me that is based on research & convenience.  (Honestly, the convenience of breastfeeding ranks as high with me as the health benefits!  haha!)  However I am very proud that she did breastfeed me. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

• No. It was the 80's and both her mom and MIL pressured her to FF. she has carried so much guilt because of it and I had no idea until I was breastfeeding in the hospital and my mom got kind of emotional amd kept leaving the room. Heartbraking! But, i am happy that my choice to breastfeed has somehow helped her get past her guilt and has really brought us closer together and she has been my biggest cheerleader!
  • Yep. Mom bf me until about 14 months. She has been a huge support system and so has my dad.
  • Only for a few weeks and my younger brother not at all.  It was definitely a different era as far as the availability of support and an understanding of the benefits of nursing.  I don't think it influenced me either way.  She is supportive now but I had to really stress how important it was to me and how determined I was to make it work.
  • I was FF.  My mom tried to BF my older brother and absolutely hated it.  She said she felt like a cow and she thought it was gross.  I heard that for so many years, that I never thought I would BF.  However, as I got older and started thinking about having a baby, my feelings changed.

My mom is supportive of my decision, but she comments often about how she never realized BFing was so much work (and I totally agree with her.)

• My family was poor when I was born, so both my sister and I were breast fed as formula was too expensive. My mom even hand expressed milk into little jars when she went back to work.

It probably had some effect on my decision to breastfeed in that breastfeeding was what I saw as the normal way to feed a baby. Sort of an "Of course I'm breastfeeding LO, how else do you feed a baby?"

My husband was formula fed and while my MIL is supportive of my bf'ing,  has commented how ff'ing is easier since someone else can do it too. Now, watching the process of bottle feeding my LO now that I'm back at work, I'm glad I can BF. It's sooooooooo much easier to pop LO on the boob than have to prep a bottle. 

• Yup, My mom BF's me for 10 months and my two siblings for one year each.  I apparently self weaned at 10 months (She still says it makes her sad lol).  I don't think it really influenced me, but certainly it's nice to have the support from someone who has been there and gets it ;)   The overwhelming medical literature demonstrating superiority of BM over formula is what influenced me!
  • I am a twin, and my mom BF us until around 6 months, when my brother bit her. We went right to cow's milk. MIL BF DH for about 2 weeks, but then quit. She says that DH was "always hungry" and nursing (which is normal!), and chewed her nipples raw so she gave up. I don't know if he got formula after that, but he was a big baby (10 lbs) at birth, and MIL said that the doctor had her put DH on skim milk at his 2 month appt because he was still so big.  That was 40 years ago, so.....different times, I guess.

My parents have definitely been supportive. However, my mom doesn't know why I'm "still" BFing my daughter. (DD's mostly on WCM during the days, but I still nurse in the mornings and sometimes at night). My ILs have been supportive, but they don't know anything about breastfeeding- nobody in their family has done it successfully- so I felt like I was always explaining things to them.

BFP: 7/5/10   EDD: 3/13/11  Miscarriage 8/1/10 at 8 weeks

BFP: 10/30/10   EDD: 7/7/11   Born 7/11//11 7lb12oz, 20 in.

BFP: 7/30/13  EDD: 4/9/14 Born right on time on his due date! 8lb10oz, 21.5 in.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Awesome prophetic fortune cookie: Love is a present that can be given every single day you live

• I always assumed I was, and DH assumed he was BF too. When I was pregnant with my first we both found out within a week of each other that neither of us were. My mom tried with my older brother (born in '80, me and '83), but says she couldn't make enough, so she quit after a few weeks, and then she didn't even try with me. I had a similar experience with my son, and quit after about 8 weeks, but my daughter and I have been EBFing for just over 5 months! My mom has mentioned a few times lately that now she feels guilty for not trying with me after seeing the success I've had the second time around...

My MIL just had no interest in BF, and while I don't think she judges me for doing it, I don't think she really gets it either. She always brags how she had her kids eating cereal off a spoon at 2 weeks. Confused

• I was not breast fed. My moms milk came in late and I wouldn't latch when it did eventually come in. It did not affect my decision to breast feed. My aunt breast fed her kids and was actually a big influence in my decision besides the $$$ savings. 

• My mom breastfed all 4 of us. The first 2 kids she only had 6 weeks off, so they were FF in the day and BF at night. With my brother and I she SAH, so we were EBF longer.

MIL also BF her kids. I think it has helped to have the grandparents think bfing is normal.

• I was, and the trend then (almost 30 years ago) was more towards FF. I think she BFed me for 11 months. I would have BFed either way though.
  • Yes, my mom breastfed me until I was about 16 months old, and yes, it's influenced my decision to breastfeed my son.
  • Yes, my brother and I (born in '82 and '84) were both breastfed until we were 1.  MIL tried to nurse both of her children ('79 and '81) but she didn't have much support and decided to FF instead.  I guess I just grew up thinking BFing was the norm.  Both of our moms have been very supportive.
  • Nope, I was not breastfed.  And it had no impact on my decision to breastfeed, although I wish I had been for health reasons.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • My brothers and I (born in '72, '82, & '84) were all breastfed.  DH and his brother ('72 & '76) were as well.  I don't think it had an impact on my decision, though formula seems so unnatural to me.
  • I think that my mom didn't with me and did with my siblings or vice versa; she was a mix with her three. My MIL thought I was a total freak for BF'ing after 6 weeks, I ignored her then and plan to continue to ignore her when DD gets here later this fall.

(I had DS right when that formula scare happened in China and it perma scared me, and I just can't bring myself to use formula)
    On the night you were born, the moon smiled with such wonder that the stars peeked in to see you and the night wind whispered,"life will never be the same" Image and video hosting by TinyPicalt="Lilypie 1st Birthday Pic" width="29" height="20" border="0" /> BabyFetus Ticker
  • Only for a little bit. My mom said I was "allergic" to her BM. I had projectile vomiting and cried all the time. Finally the pedi had her try soy formula to see if that helped. Apparently it did.

She bf my older until he was 9 months old (so just after she found out she was pregnant with me). She didn't bf my younger brother at all. According to her, my older bro & I wouldn't let her. We were very jealous, and made it very difficult. 

For me, it just made me see breastfeeding as a normal thing that you do. But all my aunts and stuff breastfed too. It's just what you do. LOL.

• My mom nursed me for about 15 months, and my sister for 8 months (she says my little sis quit nursing "cold turkey" then).  I also grew up around people for whom nursing was/is normal - I remember a group of moms nursing their babies/toddlers at church picnics and other social events.  So for me, nursing is normal/what you do.  Plus I'm too cheap to buy formula as long as I can BF.  Stick out tongue
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"