Natural Birth

Thinking about having my husband deliver our baby at the birth center...!

Our birthing center allows dads to be as involved as they please, my husband an I are thinking about having him deliver our baby with the midwife's assistance. Did anyone else do this? If so, did it change your birth experience in a positive or negative way?? 

Re: Thinking about having my husband deliver our baby at the birth center...!

• Do you mean have him catch the baby? My husband caught our son and I think it was a positive experience for all of us. Although my husband has said that he was so much in shock at the time that it wasn't as magical as he hoped it would be.
  • MH would never dream of doing such a thing, he's way to squeamish. But, I was present at a friend's home water birth and her H caught the baby. You could tell it was a very meaningful thing for him, the look on his face just showed satisfaction deep down inside of him. But then it was also kind of cute because not long after he caught his daughter, maybe 20 seconds, he kind of "freaked" and was like "what do I do now?!?!". It was cute.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
    DD born 5/15/11
    DS born 11/12/12
  • Loading the player...
  • Dh caught #2 and #4.  I was on all fours for #2 and I was leaning over the bathroom counter with #4.  I caught #3 because I was squatting.  It was SOOO awesome.  It's insanely amazing to have you or your dh be the very first person earthside to touch your baby.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My husband has helped deliver oth my girls in a hospital setting with my OB behind him. My husband is a paramedic so he is trained on this. He is planning on delivering this one baby as well. I think it's awesome to have them do it.
  • Our son came fast so it was just my husband and I there at the time (planned homebirth, midwifes enroute and 5 min later) and we both kind of caught him, mostly me.  DS was born in the water.  It was nice to the way it happened.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • If he wants to you should totally go for it!!   With my DS1 (which was a medicated birth, DS2 was natural)  my DH did actually deliver the baby with the nurse.

I was on a low dose of pit and the doctor said that it would be like 10 hours and dipped out.  I went from 4.5 to 10 cm in one hour and for some reason the call button wasn't working.

The nurse and DH delivered my baby, each holding a leg and reaching one hand out to make sure he didn't fly off the table. It was pretty nuts.   DH went from not even knowing if he would look down there or cut the cord, to assisting in delivery and cutting the cord and pretty much taking over, lol.  Needless to say he was proud of himself. : )

Natural M/c 12/13/08 at 8w5d 

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"