Toddlers: 24 Months+

can your 3-ish yr old sit through a movie?

I hear about all of these kids DD's age going to the movie theater or watching movies at home, and I find it amazing that a kid this age can actually sit through a movie the entire time. My DD gets bored after about 45 minutes to an hour. Is she the only one?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: can your 3-ish yr old sit through a movie?

• Not to 3 yet, but my son also has about 45-60 minutes for a movie before he's done with it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yep! Her first movie was Winnie the Pooh, then she watched Madagascar 3 twice and Brave twice. lol She gets quite upset when it's over.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • DS turns 3 next week.  He can sit through about half of a Disney movie at home, then he gets up and runs around and will watch snippets of it until it's over.  We don't want to torture other movie-goers, so we have never taken  him to the movies.  Kudos to those who can.  I'd love to go to a movie.  Any  movie.
    Photobucket Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • At home DS can watch 30-45 min of a movie.  We went a month ago to the theater and he sat through the whole movie Brave.  I was worried about it and prepared to leave half way through, but he was fine.
  • Yes, but I think because we rarely let her watch anything during the weekday.  When PT-ing we let her watch as much Diego all day for 3 days and she would sit there for hours watching multiple episodes.  We just took her to her first movie, it was a drive-in.  We watched Ice Age with her cousins and she sat through the whole thing.
  • DD1 is 2.5, and she will last about 45-60 minutes into a movie before getting antsy. We do a family movie night at home once a month or so, so at the point she gets antsy we pause and put on her PJs, get a snack and then restart. She gets a lot of her wiggles out and then sits through the rest. Sometimes she just runs around the room while we finish watching it, but I know she's paying attention because she can tell me all about it later :)

We haven't tried the theater yet, and probably won't for another year or so, but we're having fun introducing all our favorite kid movies to her. So far Tangled is her favorite. 

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I can't imagine taking either of my kids to the theater. My daughter can sit through an hour and a half movie on days she doesn't nap, but needs down time (not frequently). If I put something on during the day it's usually 45 min tops before they are off running around - but if I try to turn it off, I get a fit and a half!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My daughter is 2 1/2 and she can as long as she has interest in the movie.  I took her to see Clifford at the movie theater and other than a trip to the bathroom she sat through the entire movie. 
  • Nope. I have never taken them to the movies & can't quite imagine it (DD maybe but DS would be a mess and I certainly would never take them alone)...at home the only movies they have ever watched through are Toy Story & Cars and I would guess they've only watched them start to finish maybe 2 times ever outside of a long road trip...they can do a 60 min movie type thing but a 90-120 min movie not generally...plus they get scared by most Disney movies still too.
  • Yes DS does. We normally do a Friday night movie. We all cuddle on the couch and watch a movie. He is typically tired on Friday nights after the week and we make it a family movie night out of it.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If it is her favorite movie she will watch it till the end (most of the time) but everything else has a 30 min max before she runs off. She has always been about uninterested in tv 

DS is a couch potato and would sit through a movie. When DD starts to loose interest I try to just turn it off so DS has to stop. Each kid is different ....

I wouldn't even try to go to a theater I am not that courageous yet.  

• I took DD to see Ice Age she only lasted 1hour.
    DD-2/7/10
    BFP-4/8/14

• Hmmmm...I guess this explains the choices for boys at every stores.  I get very annoyed that the only choices for boys for ANYTHING are Spiderman, Cars, Mario, and Toy Story.

We haven't even tried a movie with DS really, at home and definitely not at the theater.  He'll watch Elmo's World here and there but that's about it.  We've put Finding Nemo on before and he didn't seem interested.

He's not been that interested in TV yet, though.  On vacation, we asked him if he wanted to watch Elmo in the van and he said no.

• My four yr old can't even sit through a whole movie. We took both boys to see BRAVE, and they were moving around and were totally bored after 30 minutes. They are always quiet, but my four yr old kept whispering, "Mommy can we go home now, I'm tired. Lol.

B.R.C. 5/08-- N.R.C. 5/10--S.R.C. 3/14
  • My son would never sit through an entire movie. We probably won't even attempt it until he's school-aged.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Keshias Birthday 2012 046edit
  • No, and we haven't attempted a movie out yet.  He still gets up and runs around when he watches anthing longer than 30 minutes.
  • imagefredalina:
    imageali0608:

Hmmmm...I guess this explains the choices for boys at every stores.  I get very annoyed that the only choices for boys for ANYTHING are Spiderman, Cars, Mario, and Toy Story.

That's funny. I really don't like the "girl" selection. I won't let LO watch anything with a weak female character where the white knight/prince rides in and solves all her problems. Which leaves Brave and boy movies. Grumble grumble.

Sadly, I've thought about getting my DS into Toy Story or Cars just so shopping for stuff would be easier. (backpacks, clothes, etc.)  He loves Elmo but Elmo isn't out there as much.  Luckily, the internet is great for Elmo.

• imagefredalina:
    imageali0608:

Hmmmm...I guess this explains the choices for boys at every stores.  I get very annoyed that the only choices for boys for ANYTHING are Spiderman, Cars, Mario, and Toy Story.

That's funny. I really don't like the "girl" selection. I won't let LO watch anything with a weak female character where the white knight/prince rides in and solves all her problems. Which leaves Brave and boy movies. Grumble grumble.

Our kids watch cars/toy story mostly b/c they're less scary than the other disney/pixar ones... (once they got past Sid's dog in Toy Story which took several viewings).  Lion King not surprisingly freaked them out (my brother gave it to them even though I warned him I didn't think they'd be able to watch it) and I have to be honest, Nemo even makes me quite sad!!!! My son was talking about Nemo touching the boat & getting grabbed by the man for days, and they didn't even watch the entire movie... I'm glad they didn't pick up on what happened to mom in the beginning!  I do think that while the guy helps out Rapunzel in Tangled, she does fend for herself a bit & ends up saving him a few times during the movie...

Friends gave us Air Bud for their bday and it is silly but cute & one thing I like about it is that the main character is a girl who plays baseball & saves the day... My kids have not watched much non-animated stuff but they seem to like this movie & my DD is asking to be like the girl- she wants to ride a bike like she does, etc. 

We watch mostly TV shows through netflix & on demand though. 

• We are younger but DS's first movie at the theater was Winnie the Pooh. He was 17 months old and he LOVED it. He put his sippy cup in the cup holder since we had our cups there and he just sat and watched it. He did really well. Since DD has been born, he watches Rio, Cars, Cars 2, Finding Nemo, Lion King, Toy Story 1-3, etc. The kid is always super active but he will sit down for movies. It makes my day a little better when DD just wants to be attached to the boob.
    Sorry no paragraphs, bumping from my phone.
    I once had a picture until the trolls showed up.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    TTC #1 7/08 PCOS dx 8/28/04 Met 1000 mg and Clomid cycles 1-4 1/6/09-5/2/09 BFN
    Clomid 100mg 6/4/09=O'd=BFP on 6/29/09! Beta@14DPO 70.8 Beta@16DPO 152. EDD 3/7/10.
    First u/s on 7/13/09 @6w0d heard and saw heartbeat 102 bpm.
    K M #1 arrived via c/s 3/1/10 10 lbs, 22 inches long at 39 weeks.

Surprise expecting #2. Med-free BFP on 8/1/11! Beta@15DPO 58.2 Beta@17DPO 198.3 Beta@23DPO 2338. EDD 4/9/12
    K M #2 arrived via c/s 3/19/12 9 lbs 2 oz, 21 inches long at 37 weeks.
    "If we weren't all crazy we would go insane."
  • My first kid is obsessed with TV.  From the time he was 2 weeks old he would stare at the screen and be fascinated by it.  As he grew he was obsessed with shows, then movies, he could sit in a theater and watch a full movie by the time he was 2.

My 2nd kid has NO interest in the TV.  He literally won't watch it for more than 30 seconds.  They're all different!

• She can do it at home, but today we went to the movies, and forget it! Once she was out of her goodies, she wanted to leave.
  • I have not taken Jonathan to the movies yet.I do not think he would sit through it.
    (Me)
    (32)
    Jonathan Hunter (Adopted)
    (2-27-10)
    TTC #1

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"