December 2011 Moms

Losing breastmilk supply...help

I am starting to lose my breastmilk supply and would like to increase it once again. I want to be able to breastfeed for the first year.

Any suggestions on how to get my supply back up.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Losing breastmilk supply...help

• I drink a strong beer or glass of red wine every night.  That seems to help my supply.  Also make sure that you are protecting your BF sessions, occasionally dropping sessions/feedings may confuse your milk factory.

GL!

• Fenugreek, blessed thistle and basil all seem to really help when my supply dips. Oatmeal too. Also if you have a breast pump, you could add a session in or pump after a feeding. 

On another note, my supply sometimes dips for a few days and then picks back up..I'm not sure as to why since I haven't gotten my AF back. So maybe its just a temporary thing. Good luck:)

Mom To Beautiful Scarlett- Born December 5th, 2011-CatCat33
  • Loading the player...
  • Here's my checklist I go through when I think my supply is dipping.  This also assumes that you're pumping... which is usually when I notice something amiss (i.e., not pumping as much as usual).

1.  Change the membranes on my pump.

2.  Drinking enough water?  (I always, always keep a full bottle of water with my pump...)

3.  Did I eat oatmeal?  Did I eat my lactation cookie?

4.  Am I eating enough protein?

5. Did I take my vitamins/fenugreek?

Here's a recipe for lactation cookies I found somewhere.  

1 c oatmeal

1/2 c peanut butter

1/3 c honey

1 c coconut flakes

1/2 c ground flaxseed

1/2 c mini chocolate chips (or other "sweet" additive of your choice, i.e., raisins, etc.)

1 tsp vanilla

Mix everything together thoroughly in a bowl.  Refrigerate for 1/2 hour.  Once chilled, roll into balls and then eat.    Store in air tight container in the fridge for up to 1 week.  Good luck keeping your hands off of them. ha

• I like what the PPs wrote. I will add that if you are home with LO for a day, try offering the breast really frequently all day long. And as hard as it sounds, try not to stress about it. Stay relaxed, try each of the things listed, and focus on having an abundant milk supply. You might get through one or two of the listed suggestions and realize you were just getting dehydrated, or needed more calories, or needed new pump membranes. Can I ask why specifically you feel like your supply is tanking? Check out kellymom.com for tips or call a lactation consultant or LLL for more support. Hang in there! 

image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageJammieJk:

Here's a recipe for lactation cookies I found somewhere.  

1 c oatmeal

1/2 c peanut butter

1/3 c honey

1 c coconut flakes

1/2 c ground flaxseed

1/2 c mini chocolate chips (or other "sweet" additive of your choice, i.e., raisins, etc.)

1 tsp vanilla

Mix everything together thoroughly in a bowl.  Refrigerate for 1/2 hour.  Once chilled, roll into balls and then eat.    Store in air tight container in the fridge for up to 1 week.  Good luck keeping your hands off of them. ha

I would add severeal Tbsps of brewer's yeast to this as well and Fenugreek (you can buy it on Penzeys.com - I just discovered this last week)

I have my lactation cookie recipe here:  https://doingdomestic.wordpress.com/2012/03/26/doing-lactation-cookies/

• I am struggling with this as well. I notice it happens around AF and if I don't eat/drink enough water.  When AF is the cause, it bounces back after a few days.  If it is my fault with not drinking / eating, I try to constantly be drinking and making sure to eat enough. I also make oatmeal no bake cookies (similar to pp recipe) and try to eat those (I hate the taste/texture of plain oatmeal).
    laying down the law on Oahu's North Shore

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Having the same problem here. Water seems to help but all of these recipes will be super helpful - keep 'em coming! 
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • thank you for all the help. I will try the lactation cookies, they are no bake right?

I can tell that my supply is tanking because I can normally pump a 4 oz bottle 3 or 4 times a day but now I am lucky if I can pump a single 4 oz bottle in a day. I really want to continue to nurse her so I will be trying all of the suggestions.

Thanks Ladies :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have been having the same challenges for several days now and I appreciate everyone's suggestions and recipes as well. It took me 20 minutes to get one ounce at work yesterday, when I normally can pump up to 6 ounces. So frustrating! Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"