December 2012 Moms

Whats so bad about a diaper genie?

I've been reading up on things I "must have" or people "said to have" and they never used - or things thing you just don't need.

I'm finding a lot of hate for the diaper genie!  I remember my mom having one for my brother and I thought it was pretty cool and my parents loved it - so what's so wrong with it?

The big thing I kept hearing is why keep dirty diapers in the house for a long period. I figure it's a sanitary container and has odor control. I never smelled it when my bro had one...So - whats up?

Re: Whats so bad about a diaper genie?

• we have one and i love it.... i don't get the hate either!
  • Personally, I looked at them, and just think they are overpriced for what you get. Other than that, I don't see anything wrong with them...
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I love mine. 
  • Love mine too.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My biggest problem with them is you still get an odor when you flip the top which drops the dirty diaper into the bin.  Also, you have to buy the cartridges for them.  The diaper champ can use any bag, like grocery bags, etc.  Same problem with the odor though too. 
    Mama of 3 earth babies and 1 beautiful angel baby
  • I can't remember the brand we had with DS but we liked it because you can use regular trash bags. That's the only down side I see to the diaper genie is that you have to use their bags.
  • imageHopeNotLost:
    My biggest problem with them is you still get an odor when you flip the top which drops the dirty diaper into the bin.  Also, you have to buy the cartridges for them.  The diaper champ can use any bag, like grocery bags, etc.  Same problem with the odor though too. 
    That was our issue. I think this time, I'll just skip any and take out the dirty diapers daily. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Blogging about boobs, babies, bed lust & everything in between since 2007.
  • imageNotwifezilla7:
    imageHopeNotLost:
    My biggest problem with them is you still get an odor when you flip the top which drops the dirty diaper into the bin.  Also, you have to buy the cartridges for them.  The diaper champ can use any bag, like grocery bags, etc.  Same problem with the odor though too. 
    That was our issue. I think this time, I'll just skip any and take out the dirty diapers daily. 

Yes

I hated our Genie.  It stunk every time you opened it and paying for bags to put poop in?  Seems silly. Wal-mart bags work great and you just take them out to the garbage. Not a biggie and MUCH cheaper!

Blessed with one amazing husband, three awesome kids, 2 angel babies and had a healthy baby boy December 2012. 10-18-2011 MMC D & C at 15 weeks 4 days EDD of 4-06-2012 3-11-12 CP EDD of 11-13-2012 Pregnant April 11, 2012 EDD 12-22-12 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have a diaper genie elite - I think that's something that also needs to be distinguished in the thread.  The original diaper genie - I absolutely hate and abhore.  The elite (with the foot pedal) is brilliant and I love it.  I do hate that I can only use their refills though, but it's the best thing instead of having to take diapers out every single time when they're dirty. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageLLK122207:
    I can't remember the brand we had with DS but we liked it because you can use regular trash bags. That's the only down side I see to the diaper genie is that you have to use their bags.

This.  Then I used the frebreeze trashbags and still actually took out the dirty ones but it's handy.  I like mine. 

pregnancy due date BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have one and I'm a fan.  I mainly used it before baby started eating real food and had nasty diapers.  As long as you don't leave the diapers in too long, I think it does a good job.
  • Personally for me it is about added waste and cost.  I just don't see the point when a steel trash can with a good lid holds in the smell just fine, I put baking soda in the bottom of the barrel, and change the bag once to twice per week.  I never have to spend money on refills and I am not sending any more plastic to the dump than necessary.  

It is ultimately a personal decision, those are just my reasons. 

BFP 12/19/08- DS born 8/25/09 9lbs2oz via Zavanelli Maneuver
    BFP 8/26/11- Missed miscarriage discovered 10/19/11 at 11w2d, measured at 9 weeks gestation w/ no HB. D&C 10/21/11
    BFP 3/17/12 at 12dpo CP 3/21/12
    BFP 4/23/12 at 10dpo Stick my little one! Beta #1: 83.3 @ 13dpo Beta #2: 197.7 @ 15dpo
    Our little man is getting bigger every day!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    My BFP Chart
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageHopeNotLost:

I think this is just part of changing dirty diapers, when you open the pail it will smell, there aren't any roses in there! But, as long as it doesn't still smell when the pail is closed, I wait a few days to take them out.   

Just like in your fridge, too, baking soda is great for absorbing odors, so I keep a fridge/freezer one in the bottom of the pail.  It doesn't work perfectly or all the time depending on how badly the poops smell, but it definitely helps!

BFP 12/19/08- DS born 8/25/09 9lbs2oz via Zavanelli Maneuver
    BFP 8/26/11- Missed miscarriage discovered 10/19/11 at 11w2d, measured at 9 weeks gestation w/ no HB. D&C 10/21/11
    BFP 3/17/12 at 12dpo CP 3/21/12
    BFP 4/23/12 at 10dpo Stick my little one! Beta #1: 83.3 @ 13dpo Beta #2: 197.7 @ 15dpo
    Our little man is getting bigger every day!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    My BFP Chart
  • Im a FTM but Im wondering why the obvious solution isn't just to take the trash out everyday. Am I the only one who takes my trash out everyday?  Or is the smell so bad that even having a diaper in your garbage for a few hours will stink up the whole house?

BabyFruit Ticker It's a Girl!
  • The pail and refills are very expensive and it smells. 

We use these instead:

https://www.amazon.com/Sassy-Disposable-Counts-Diaper-Sacks/dp/B0007V644S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344431037&sr=8-1&keywords=sassy+diaper

They are cheaper and good for on the go dirty diapers. 

• imageJLSmith124:

The pail and refills are very expensive and it smells. 

We use these instead:

https://www.amazon.com/Sassy-Disposable-Counts-Diaper-Sacks/dp/B0007V644S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344431037&sr=8-1&keywords=sassy+diaper

Diaper Genie refills is 13.00 for two at target - so, $6.50 a refill, each is about 200 diapers ish. The pail it's self is only about $35, which in my opinion, is the same price as a nice stainless steel trash can.

16 years ago when my brother was born there was no smell from his diaper genie, so I'm confused as to why so many say it smells. (I was 12 at the time, so I can say I remember clearly). My mom also sprays lysol all the time and cleaned it frequently. So i suppose that helps. 

• imagendolehan:
    imageJLSmith124:

The pail and refills are very expensive and it smells. 

We use these instead:

Diaper Genie refills is 13.00 for two at target - so, $6.50 a refill, each is about 200 diapers ish. The pail it's self is only about $35, which in my opinion, is the same price as a nice stainless steel trash can.

16 years ago when my brother was born there was no smell from his diaper genie, so I'm confused as to why so many say it smells. (I was 12 at the time, so I can say I remember clearly). My mom also sprays lysol all the time and cleaned it frequently. So i suppose that helps. 

Ours does not smell and we have been using it for 2+ years now.  We do leave it out in the sun and lysol it once a month or so... maybe that helps.  I also have never thought that bags were an inconvenience or expensive.  I get them for $5.50 each through amazon subscribe and save.

• I love our diaper genie because:

#1 reason.  Don't have to bend down to throw in the garbage.  Foot pedal.

2.  Sleek and white.  Don't even notice it in our bathroom.

It is one of those things that if you don't have, you won't miss, but if you have it, you'll like it.  :)

• FACT.

Cats were used as currency in Russia for a short 3 years. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageCatFacts:

FACT.

Was this thread just crashed by a cat? Because that's pretty freaking awesome. 

• imageCatFacts:

FACT.

WTF?
    BFP: 12/20/13 EDD: 08/23/14 (discovered m/c at 8w5d)
    BFP: 09/22/14 EDD: 06/06/15 (hoping for our rainbow)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • For DD, we have always just used a regular trash w/ lid, and bagged up all the poopy diapers in arm& hammer baggies. To not do that is intolerable.

I priced it out recently against the cost of a genie + refills, vs 2nd trash can + arm & hammer baggies, and to my surprise, the genie will pay for itself soon enough versus our current method.

So, I bought one.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • OMG I just laughed so hard at my desk at work! 
    through suffering and sorrow comes peace beyond belief for pur present set of circumstances serve only to remind us of the Gold we cant yet see...
  • imageCatFacts:

FACT.

Hahaha! Nice!

I'm a FTM , but my brother and his wife lived with us temporarily when their LO was here and they didn't have a diaper genie at the time. They also had my niece who was 2yrs old still in diapers and I remember the whole house smelling up like poop from the diapers.
    They used Walmart bags which don?t contain smells - So we turned to zip lock bags - which I didn't care about the cost then... but yeah we're going to invest in some kind of diaper genie or compare them to other alike items.

~Arin Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"