February 2013 Moms

Should I keep trying to hide this at work?

I'm up for a big promotion that will be decided around mid-September.  I'm 13 weeks now and am starting to look very pregnant even though this is my first.  I'm wearing flowy tops and lots of jackets and scarfs now to hide it, but I'm skeptical I can keep this under wraps for another month.

My husband thinks I'm being overly paranoid and honestly I probably am.  I've just had bad experiences with promotions slipping through my fingers at this place.  My management LOVES me and said they plan to do everything they can to get me promoted--but I just don't want to risk it.

What's worse--trying to hide it when its obvious or fessing up before a big promotion?  Any more suggestions on how to hide it longer?

Re: Should I keep trying to hide this at work?

• I feel your pain.  I'm kind of in a similar boat.  I'm supposedly going to be put up for a promotion at the end of this year, so I am really hating that I'll have to tell them soon. I definitely feel that it could impact things, even though it shouldn't. 

I did set up a meeting with my boss this week to talk about where I stand with the promotion and what else I can do to make sure it happens, etc.  I just want something more concrete from him before he knows....

DS1: Quinn - 10.22.10 and DS2: Cole - 01.18.13

• Keep hiding it!  If they call you out on it later just lie and say that there were some concerns early in the pregnacy so you weren't prepared to tell anyone. Noboyd is going to question that.  Hopefully it will get a little cooler and you can add some layers!

I plan to hide mine until I just can't any longer.  I have a training at the end of the sept and I know they won't let me do it if they knew.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imagemishka29:

Keep hiding it!  If they call you out on it later just lie and say that there were some concerns early in the pregnacy so you weren't prepared to tell anyone. Noboyd is going to question that.  Hopefully it will get a little cooler and you can add some layers!

I plan to hide mine until I just can't any longer.  I have a training at the end of the sept and I know they won't let me do it if they knew.

I agree! While being pregnant shouldn't keep you from getting a promotion, you just never know... office politics are never fun so if you can put it off until after you find out about the promotion I would.  Good luck!  

Baby #1 Due 2/21/13!
  • I just got a promotion, have no intention of mentioning things just yet at work (even though it's patently apparent). The nice thing is that no one is going to come right out and question you about it, even if they suspect, for fear they might be wrong.

Of course it would be illegal for them to deny you the promotion just because you're pregnant, but proving that is mightily difficult.

• I am in the same boat as well - I am 14 weeks and getting big, and it should be decided within the next month. I really don't think I'll be able to hide it for as long as I need to unfortunately, but I am trying to get more concrete answers from my work on timing before I announce. Then if I follow up after I announce and suddenly I'm not up for the job anymore, I figure I will have more to go on. I was recruited a year ago at my company and told I would be promoted in a year (which is a few weeks) so here;s to hoping it will happen soon!! And honestly I try to remind myself what a BLESSING this is for all of us..and some things in life are just more important than a job :) Worst case scenario if they want to promote you, they will eventually, having kids doesn't mean you are any less capable of your job. In fact I think it would show maturity to an employer. Wouldn't trade this for anything!!!!!!!!! Big Smile

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"