2nd Trimester

What would you do if you ate undercooked chicken...?

Let me start by saying that I have alot of anxiety in my pregnancies due to previous losses, so what may not be a big deal to some is usually a bigger deal to me!

On Saturday night we got some take out and I noticed after I ate 1/2 of a chicken sub that a few of the pieces of chicken on the other 1/2 were undercooked. They were not raw, but definitely pink and not as flakey as cooked chicken should be.

My concerns are salmonella and listeria. So far, I have not had any negative symptoms but I know listeria can take up to 2 months to affect you.

What would you do in my situation? Call the OB? Will he think I'm crazy?! I'm just worried that it could affect baby. I know there is a blood test you can do for listeria, which is why I'm thinking of calling...

m/c March 2009 @ 5 weeks ~ m/c June 2009 @ 10 weeks ~ m/c February 2012 @ 4.5 weeks Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: What would you do if you ate undercooked chicken...?

• I would call and just see what they say.  In all likelihood it is fine and they will put your mind at ease.  And if they do want to test or watch you, that will give you some reassurance.  

I would also make sure you call the restaurant and speak directly with the owner/manager as they should be aware of what happened.

Try not to stress....even in the absolute worst case (and unlikely) scenario that you had gotten something, one of the keys is early detection and there are meds you can take (if I am recalling correctly).  Again, in all likelihood it is fine, and if on the off chance it is not, they will be able to take care of you.  Don't worry.

Good luck! 

We are so thankful that our second daughter, Lillian Elizabeth "Lily", was born healthy and happy on February 11, 2013.  We love her to pieces.  

We lost our first daughter, Hannah Grace on May 4, 2011.  She was buried on May 14 during a beautiful service at my home church. We are grateful that if she could not be here with us, that she is healed and whole with the Lord. We look forward to the day when we will get to meet her. We love her so much.

• I would do nothing (and Im a pretty overly cautious person)

BabyFruit Ticker It's a Girl!
  • Loading the player...
  • imagebklynbmp:

I would do nothing (and Im a pretty overly cautious person)

Me too. I was eating a hamburger (at home) the other night that was pink and I just heated it up to make sure it wasn't pink anymore. I didn't even think about calling my dr.

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Listeria is a lot more rare than Salmonella, so I think you're fine.  You'd be sick by now if you had ingested Salmonella bacteria.  Just because you consumed undercooked chicken does not automatically mean you will get food poisoning.  I would definitely let the restaurant know, though.  That's a big health violation.  Call your doctor if it helps settle your mind, but I think you'll be ok.

DD 12/20/99, DS 12/14/12, M/C 9/2014, M/C 1/2015

• Your doc isn't going to be able to do anything but tell you to wait and see.  If you start to feel sick, call then.  There's nothing they could do to treat you.

My first thought was that most sub places likely use pre-cooked chicken.  Unless it was some fancy place, I can't see them grilling individual chicken breasts to put on a sandwich.  Maybe the processing or packaging made it look funny? 

Also, I think you'd know by now if you were going to be sick.  I don't recall the specific incubation times, but if we are talking a couple days already, I think you're fine.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I think at this point the only thing you can do is wait it out.  If it were contaminated with Salmonella, then you would probably already be having symptoms or would soon, since the incubation period for that is 12 to 72 hours.  But the chances of the chicken even being contaminated are pretty slim.

Listeria is even less common than Salmonella, so most likely you are okay on both fronts.  Listeria also has a much wider range for incubation period, 3-70 days. 

Honestly, if you don't get sick within the next couple of days, I wouldn't worry about it at all any more, because Listeria infection is so uncommon.  Even though it has been in the news a lot in the last year, so it seems common, it really isn't.

BFP 12/19/08- DS born 8/25/09 9lbs2oz via Zavanelli Maneuver
    BFP 8/26/11- Missed miscarriage discovered 10/19/11 at 11w2d, measured at 9 weeks gestation w/ no HB. D&C 10/21/11
    BFP 3/17/12 at 12dpo CP 3/21/12
    BFP 4/23/12 at 10dpo Stick my little one! Beta #1: 83.3 @ 13dpo Beta #2: 197.7 @ 15dpo
    Our little man is getting bigger every day!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    My BFP Chart
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would mention it at your next appointment.
  • If you swallowed it and it's gone, I wouldn't do anything. I would keep an eye out for symptons and just double check going further.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • As long as the chicken was not processed into deli meat, you do not need to worry about listeria.  If it was smoked chicken, it can be cooked through and still look a little pink.  As the PPs said, I would call the restaurant and let the manager know that you got undercooked chicken. If you did get food poisoning from the portion that you did eat, you would be feeling the effects pretty quickly. If that happens, call your doctor. Otherwise, I would wait until your next appointment - and never eat at that place again.

The day the Bump died - Jasper is wise
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imagebuggirl72:
    As long as the chicken was not processed into deli meat, you do not need to worry about listeria.  If it was smoked chicken, it can be cooked through and still look a little pink.  As the PPs said, I would call the restaurant and let the manager know that you got undercooked chicken. If you did get food poisoning from the portion that you did eat, you would be feeling the effects pretty quickly. If that happens, call your doctor. Otherwise, I would wait until your next appointment - and never eat at that place again.

Yes

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagebuggirl72:
    As long as the chicken was not processed into deli meat, you do not need to worry about listeria.  If it was smoked chicken, it can be cooked through and still look a little pink.  As the PPs said, I would call the restaurant and let the manager know that you got undercooked chicken. If you did get food poisoning from the portion that you did eat, you would be feeling the effects pretty quickly. If that happens, call your doctor. Otherwise, I would wait until your next appointment - and never eat at that place again.

This. If anything you would get salmonella from it, which you would have noticed by now. I'm sure everything is fine. And really there is nothing you can do at this point.

• I wouldn't worry about it unless you start getting sick - and even then you're probably fine.

I am actually suffering myself today from food poisoning pretty badly from chicken wings I had last night. So if you are infected I think you would know by now. My doctor is just keeping an eye on me and I'm downing a lot of water to stay hydrated.

Lilly & Ryan 7/4/09 --- Lelia Noelle 11/29/10 --- Aerilyn Grace 11/3/12
    imageimageimageLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I had food poisoning at 38 weeks PG last time, so badly that they gave me an u/s to check my amniotic fluid pockets when I measured no bigger than the previous week and had lost 1/2 lb. That's because I had it coming out both ends for a while. Aside from being horrible, I gained a lot of faith in DH as a labor partner, as his soothing voice and touch actually stopped me a second away from puking once, and after that I was able to start holding things down. It was one of the sickest days of my life, and it started just hours after eating the chicken wrap.

If you haven't experienced any symptoms, I would not worry about it.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"