Babies: 9 - 12 Months

How did I end up with a picky eater?

I started off making LO's baby food. I made the mistake of giving her gerber for convenience and then she would only eat that. Now, she won't touch anything except the gerber yogurt! She closes her mouth and shakes her head. I don't know what to do? I have also been trying her on solids-not purees..in small pieces of course. We tried spaghetti with turkey meat the other day and she held the turkey meat in her mouth for about an hour. It was tiny tiny, no bigger than the tip of her pinky. I eventually had to swipe it out of her mouth because I did not want her to go to bed obviously with food in her mouth. :(
kaylinsig1tubbab1 Lilypie First Birthday tickers image

Compromise and Balance are key. JH.

Re: How did I end up with a picky eater?

• Normal.  As long as her weight is fine don't worry about what she is or isn't eating.  Other reasons to consider are teething, sickness, and feeling tired.  Those things can definitely keep a kid from not wanting to eat.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would say normal too.  We started DD on finger foods at 6 months but she goes through phases where she won't want anything and other times she eats like a horse.  I used to be able to feed her directly but now she'll only feed herself and bats my hand away.  I think it comes with the age.
  • Loading the player...
  • Well, 3 normals that is a good thing. Also, what I think is weird is that at daycare (2 days a week) they tell me she eats purees twice a day. I would like to think they are telling me the truth about what she is eating...it just seems weird that she would eat for them, but not for me. Maybe because there are other babies??

• imagebridetobe6808:
    Well, 3 normals that is a good thing. Also, what I think is weird is that at daycare (2 days a week) they tell me she eats purees twice a day. I would like to think they are telling me the truth about what she is eating...it just seems weird that she would eat for them, but not for me. Maybe because there are other babies??

I have no explanation for the "why", but I'd say daycare is probably telling the truth.  At daycare DD almost always happily eats all her food (they tell me when she doesn't), but my success rate is less than theirs.  She'll smack the spoon away or spit it back out at me, even when it's something I *know* she likes.  Sometimes I'll either offer a different puree just to see, and then plop down some cheerios.  If she refuses both, I know she's done.  

IMG_2304IMG_3206
    Baby Girl #2 is on her way!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Peer pressure Wink.  Yes, that's definitely the case with the babes at daycare and my good friend.  When one babe is exhuberant about the food, the others perk up and will eat more.

Food under 1 is for fun!  Although I got it it's not so fun for you two right now.  In the beginning I expected LO to merely suck or chew and spit out food, so I was always pleasantly surprised when she swallowed food.  Maybe you have a shy eater who doesn't like the direct attention at home?  Or she prefers finger food; no purees, big chucks (for experimenting, not swallowing)?  Odds are she'll be eating more within a few months; although if she's like my friend's toddler (5% weight) it never seems like she's eating enough (although she's tracking to her curve perfectly).

GL.

imagebridetobe6808:
    ...at daycare (2 days a week) they tell me she eats purees twice a day. ...Maybe because there are other babies??

Unexplained IF/RPL

TTC#1 2003 BFNs, 2004-2009 imageimageimageimageimage 5 angels above

2010 IVF-PGS-FET#1, DD b. Aug-2011 image

TTC#2 2012 BFNs, 2013 FET#2, DS b. Nov-2013 image

TTC#3 2015 BFNs, FET#3 image (my 6th and last angel above)

Journey Complete.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• My DD had a "spoon strike" and would only eat food coming from my fingers. Now she will eat chunks of soft food (fruits and veggies) with no problems. Meat has been a slower process but I find that puree and very finely chopped meat tends to stay in her mouth. Is your LO just ready for more textures? 

Baby #1: m/c at 5 weeks (2011)
    Baby #3: missed m/c found at 11.5 weeks (2013)
    Baby #4: missed m/c at 10 weeks (2013)
    Baby #5: m/c at 6 weeks (2014)
    Baby #6: Saw a heartbeat at 7w, baby stopped growing at 7w1d, found at 8w u/s : d&c  (2014)

Hoping for my lucky #7 (one last try!)
  • imagecaromartin:
    My DD had a "spoon strike" and would only eat food coming from my fingers. Now she will eat chunks of soft food (fruits and veggies) with no problems. Meat has been a slower process but I find that puree and very finely chopped meat tends to stay in her mouth. Is your LO just ready for more textures? 

I have no idea. I am just going to stick with it. I mixed tiny bits of carrots and potato with cheerios on her tray. She is familiar with the cheerios so she would sift through the other food to find the cheerios to put those in her mouth. HAHA. So silly. Try try and try again...

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"