Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

Help - 10 Month Old Will NOT Eat Anything Besides Purees

I'm looking for any advice or tips please.

We delayed starting solids until DS was almost 7 months old because we thought he had food allergies and sure enough he does - Dairy, Eggs and Peanuts. We started Stage 1 purees no problem then moved onto Stage 2 purees and introduced puffs. At first he'd put a couple puffs into his mouth and eat them but after he's gagged and puked a couple times from puffs, small pieces of carrots, bananas and soft cooked chicken he won't put any "food" into his mouth at all, he sticks his tongue out right away and then freaks out. He seems interested in my food but he doesn't let us put anything in his mouth and he only plays with foods we have on his tray.

I don't want to push him but we really need to get going on foods so we can find out what he's all allergic to before his next dr appt next month for more testing. Also, I know the daycare wants him on real food at 1 yr (though he's going to be different because of the allergies anyway).

Any ideas? Right now he eats Stage 2 fruits and veggies only. I've tried 2 kinds of puffs, cheerios, bananas, carrots and chicken. He won't even try anything new now...

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Help - 10 Month Old Will NOT Eat Anything Besides Purees

• Options

What about trying thicker or chunky pur?es and gradually going from there? 

Ex. Smush a banana so it's pur?e like, but leave chunks, feed him with a spoon until he takes unsmooshed banana from a spoon, then from the tray?  

BFP CP 1/12/11 DD born 10/16/11
  • Options
    imageawesnap:

Ex. Smush a banana so it's pur?e like, but leave chunks, feed him with a spoon until he takes unsmooshed banana from a spoon, then from the tray?  

Tried that, he keeps gagging on the mushy banana and will only eat a few bites....

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Why does DC require this?  I think that's ridiculous.  You can't force a kid to eat something they don't want or can't.  He may be sensitive to texture and prefer the pureed stuff over chunky/crunchy/thick foods.  DD was like that too.  She didn't care much for table foods unless it was mushy.  It got better after 12 months.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageegankn:
    imageawesnap:

Tried that, he keeps gagging on the mushy banana and will only eat a few bites....

Ok so just grind everything up to a puree. You can puree almost anything. I wouldnt worry about it too much yet. Maybe bring it up at his 1 year if he still wont eat table food.
    BFP CP 1/12/11 DD born 10/16/11
  • Options
    DD wasn't a bit fan of chunks at first but I gave her a few large pieces of fruit that she could hold in her hand (banana, large piece of peach) and she put it in her mouth herself and chew on it. GL!

Baby #1: m/c at 5 weeks (2011)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    Baby #3: missed m/c found at 11.5 weeks (2013)
    Baby #4: missed m/c at 10 weeks (2013)
    Baby #5: m/c at 6 weeks (2014)
    Baby #6: Saw a heartbeat at 7w, baby stopped growing at 7w1d, found at 8w u/s : d&c  (2014)

Hoping for my lucky #7 (one last try!)
  • Options
    My DD gagged on anything besides purees until she was almost a year old. Eventually she got over it shortly after her first birthday. She had no issues after that , nor does she have any issues at 4 years old. There is no magic age where they are suddenly ready for table food. Try to relax about it.
  • Options

Just an idea but have you tried one of the mush feeders? It'll show him he can mash up the food and he'll get only small amounts at a time unlike a "big" chunk of banana.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"