Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

How long does your LO sleep?

We have a two week old and no matter what we do, he won't sleep for more than 2.5 hours at a time, and usually he needs to be rocked/held for the first 30 minutes in order to stay asleep, so that leaves us about 2 hours where he would actually sleep by himself.  We swaddle - light swaddle during the day, tight swaddle at night, and I also give him a bath and nurse before "bed time" to try and help him sleep longer, but nothing seems to work.  I know it's still pretty early, but he has been like this since day 1, and I would have thought that he'd sleep longer by now.

Re: How long does your LO sleep?

• Options
    Sounds like a typical newborn. Generally they start sleeping longer stretches after 6 weeks. 
  • Options
    try putting baby lullabies for him. works for my daughter shes almost 7 weeks old but we've played music for her since she was born and now she doesnt fall asleep unless we play the music for her.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagein my life:
    Sounds like a typical newborn. Generally they start sleeping longer stretches after 6 weeks. 

generally, my LO is 7 wks and we only had about 3 nights where she slept longer than 3h...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    My boys will be 6 weeks tomorrow and sleep between 2-4 hours. 
    MFI and (now) AMA
    IVF 1 April 2011 - Cancelled
    IVF 1.5 July 2011 - MC
    IVF 2 October 2011 - BFP!
    *Identical Twin Boys born June 2012*
    Here we go again...IVF 3 is underway!
  • Options
    My LO is 7 weeks and only sleeps 3hrs at a time. 
  • Options
    sam19sam19 member
    2.5 hours sounds normal. My LO is 7 weeks and sleeps in 3hour stretches. 4 hours if we're lucky. Sometimes only 2 if we're unlucky.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker NATALIE - 9/13/09 HANNAH - 6/8/12
  • Options
    My LO sleeps anywhere from 40min to 3 hours...but that's rare.  On average, I'd say 2 hour stretches are the norm. 

DS: June 2012
    MC: July 2015 8w5d

• Options
    8 weeks, she's slept through the night since 4 weeks. Now she sleeps from about 10-7
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

That is exactly what my 2 week old did.  And remember, BM digests quickly so breastfed babies will want to eat more frequently especially when they are newborn.

My LO is breastfed and slept his first longer stretch at around 4 weeks but it wasn't consistent.  Starting at 6 or 7 weeks he started giving me a 4-6 hour initial stretch.  Now at almost 12 weeks he has been consistently going down for bed about 7:30-8pm, wakes at 1 or 2am for a feeding, then again at 4am, then he's up for the day at 6am.

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersimageimageimage
  • Options
    My DS is 8 weeks and sleeps two 2.5 hour stretches and then only 1.5 or 1 hour stretches after that. I hope it gets better too.
  • Options
    That's completely normal for a 2 week old.  My LO is almost 3 months and still up every few hours throughout the night.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagein my life:

this. We just started 7-9 hours about two weeks ago. It's amazing. 

image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"