Breastfeeding
Options

Pumping sucks

I spoke with a LC on Thursday and she wants me to take a break from breastfeeding because my nipples are in such bad shape and need time to heal.  My supply is also low.  So baby is getting bottles and I am pumping every three hours.I

Pumping sucks!  It's time that I'm awake that I don't get to be with my baby.  I have people here helping me right now which is great.  Because I don't have time to feed her, change her, pump my breast milk, sanitize the bottles and get some sleep, food and things that I need for myself.  It's tough.

I wouldn't mind the schedule so much if I was actually getting enough breastmilk to sustain her.  But every time I pump, I get this little itty bitty amount.  So I have to supplement with formula to keep her growing.

I'm trying all the home remedies for increasing supply, but nothing is working.  So I'm going to talk to my doc about getting some medication so that I can keep breastfeeding.  Has anyone done this?  Did it work out?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

Re: Pumping sucks

• Options
    Have you gotten a prescription for APNO nipple cream? Its an antibiotic nipple ointment that will work wonders on your injured nips. I would focus more on speeding up the healing process of your nipples so that you can get back to BFing as soon and as much as possible, which will in turn help increase your supply. 

• Options

Definitely check about nipple cream.

I'm an EP and have been for 7 months. It does suck! I have a couple of suggestions that may work.

Drink a TON of water, like more than you did while pregnant.

Turn down your pump suction level if you can.

When you are pumping massage your breasts. Start "out" in your armpits and above your breast on your chest. Massage toward your nipple area (breaking suction will cause a loud fart though :-) ) Sometimes I put one hand under my breast and massage the top and sides with the other. When you find an area that gives you milk, massage it all the more.

Cut a couple holes in an old bra and make a pumping bra if you don't have one. This will let you pump both sides at the same time and keep you from losing any milk dripping from the non-pumping breast. Be ready to feel like you look like a fembot.

I've also done what I call a "power pump" but don't do it until your poor nipples feel better or use really really low suction. It's Pump for 20 mins, rest for 10, pump for 10, rest for 10, pump for 10. Done at 1 hour.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    kel716kel716 member

imagetheresat858:
    Are you using a hospital grade pump? Rent one ASAP.  And pump every 2 hours during the day.  You can feed her while you pump - I did for the first 2 weeks - get a hands free bra or make one from an old sports bra by cutting holes over the nipples, and put the baby between the two pump flanges.  Then hold the baby with one hand and the bottle with the other.  Or, feed at other times and just hold the baby while pumping, this can help you get more.  Breast compressions can also help.  also you don't have to sanitize the bottles every time, just washing is fine.

All of the pp's gave great advice, I just want to emphasize this sentence immensely.  The best way to build a supply is with a baby, and the only pump that will help establish a supply is a hospital grade one. 

I also will tell you that a hands free bra makes a huge difference. 

This video was hugely helpful for me.  https://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/MaxProduction.html

GL! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"