Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

New to solids. When do you let them eat until they're full?

I know I did this with DD1 but I have no idea what pace we did.

We started DD2 on solids three days ago. Day 1 I gave her 1 -2 tsp, even though she was keen for more.

Day 2 I gave her 3 - 4 teaspoons even though she was keen for more.

Day 3 I gave her  6 teaspoons even though she was keen for more

Day 1 and 2 we started with kumara. Day 3 I gave her banana after some kumara.

We've had no issues with it upsetting her stomach or anything.

With DD1 I always let her eat until she turned her head and then I stopped, once solids were established.

So I guess my question is, when do I keep feeding until LO makes it clear she's full vs slowly building up the quantity as I see fit?

Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

Re: New to solids. When do you let them eat until they're full?

• Options
    mcleremclere member
    We just started solids yesterday. I was so excited and nervous at the same time. My dd is very good at letting me know when she does NOT want anymore bottle so I was pretty certain she'd let me know when she didn't want anymore solids too. I made avocado for her and didn't bother counting the teaspoons she ate. I just gave her very little bites and she did let me know she was done. She closed her mouth and turned her head so I stopped. Today she ate an entire ice cube amount which I think is about 1oz. She LOVES avocado! I plan on just following her cues. 
    Follow Me on Pinterest Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

We have always let DS eat until he was full. I've read somewhere that babies have a quicker "I'm full" sensor than adults do, so we wait for him to either turn his head, put his chin to his chest, or (and least preferred) send the last bite right back out.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Thanks for the feedback. I've always been told that you should introduce solids very slowly even if LO appears keen for more. The idea being that you avoid giving them an upset stomach because they've eaten more than their stomach can handle because their system is brand new to solids.

Today I prepared 2 TBsp of food, and she stopped eating just as we got to the end of it. So I guess I'll just go with following her lead now that we've gotten her started and had no issues.

I've been paying attention to quantity because I've been told that once they're eating 1/4 cup at a meal then it's time to introduce a second meal. 

Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• Options
    We never introduce solids slowly. We were told to do each food for 3 days, then start a new food in case there was an allergy. Both kids have always been ok starting with whole jars of food and we feed them until they no longer want anymore.
    E 03.10
    H 11.11
    C 08.13

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options

imageVTFutureMrs:
    We never introduce solids slowly. We were told to do each food for 3 days, then start a new food in case there was an allergy. Both kids have always been ok starting with whole jars of food and we feed them until they no longer want anymore.

This

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagemeahganf:

We have always let DS eat until he was full. I've read somewhere that babies have a quicker "I'm full" sensor than adults do, so we wait for him to either turn his head, put his chin to his chest, or (and least preferred) send the last bite right back out.

Ditto.  We've let him eat until full from day one.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"