May 2012 Moms
Options

De Quervain's tendonitis, anyone?

So, after dealing with pregnancy carpal tunnel, I've had wrist pain since little one entered the world. It is awfully painful and makes everyday tasks really difficult. Unfortunately, the normal route of treatment (anti-inflammatories followed by cortisone shots) is not possible due to breastfeeding. Orthopedist said, with the severity of the swelling I'm having, he would start with the shots. Sigh. He gave me thumb spicas (wrist guards with thumb stabilization) to wear as much as possible (not very possible when doing anything with the baby).

Anyone else suffering with this?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: De Quervain's tendonitis, anyone?

• Options

Ask for a referral to a Physical therapist or hand specialized occupational therapist. I've seen a few mommies come in with this and it takes me a few treatment sessions to get it resolved. If you lived in the Portland area, I'd gladly see you. 

Look for a PT that does active release technique or dry needling!

Have you tried icing? Stretches (thumb enclosed in palm then gently move wrist up and down - look up Finkelsteins test and just use that as a stretch)? 

Good luck!!! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice. Not in your area, I'm in NY. The ortho recommended heat which feels good but only when still applied. I am going to try icing them even though cold doesn't feel good when it's on but I'm guessing it would help with the swelling. I've been doing some gentle stretches but just tried it the way you suggested and that feels better. I'll look into the PT. Thanks again

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I have the same thing. My doc said it was fine to get the cortisone shot, and I've been reading online, they said it was fine too. You just have to throw out the pumped milk within 4 hours of getting the shot. I took the shot, it helped a lot, although I am still feeling the pain during certain situations. I've changed the way I picked LO up and I've been massaging them.  

• Options
    imagejewinkel:

Ask for a referral to a Physical therapist or hand specialized occupational therapist. I've seen a few mommies come in with this and it takes me a few treatment sessions to get it resolved. If you lived in the Portland area, I'd gladly see you. 

Look for a PT that does active release technique or dry needling!

Have you tried icing? Stretches (thumb enclosed in palm then gently move wrist up and down - look up Finkelsteins test and just use that as a stretch)? 

Good luck!!! 

I had PT when I had this w/ my first.  The needling was surprisingly helpful. 

I do the stretches & exercises now in hopes that I don't get it again.  I never had the shots but did take quite a bit of Advil. 

image   image

• Options
    I have been suffering with this since LO was born and today had my first cortisone shot. We tried wrist braces, stretches, and an anti inflammatory medication but none of that worked. I had my right wrist done today and will go back for my left in a few weeks.

It is so very painful when the tendon has that "stuck" feeling so I'm really hoping the cortisone will help alleviate the discomfort.
    T & J 5.9.09
    MMC 2.12.11 @ 8w
    PVM 5.8.12
    GWM 3.17.15
    RPM 2.21.19

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options

imagetm599:
    I have been suffering with this since LO was born and today had my first cortisone shot. We tried wrist braces, stretches, and an anti inflammatory medication but none of that worked. I had my right wrist done today and will go back for my left in a few weeks.

It is so very painful when the tendon has that "stuck" feeling so I'm really hoping the cortisone will help alleviate the discomfort.

Let me know how the cortisone works. I'm going for acupuncture later this week for it. I notice you have an ILY on your ticker. Do you sign? I also lived in RI a few years ago (East Providence on Warren Avenue just off the highway).

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"