Babies: 9 - 12 Months

nursing moms come in!

Hello all! How much do you nurse a day? Now that the *one year* milestone is approaching, I am starting to think about weaning. As of now, I nurse on demand- as much as 6-7 times a day with 2-3 meals of solids. Should I start cutting back with the nursing and start offering more solids? My pedi didn't really give me much guidance at the 9 mo appointment, and I won't see her again until LO is over a year. 

Oh, and those of you who are planning on nursing for a year, are you going to start weaning after their first birthday, or begin weaning earlier, and being completely done at a year?

I am just curious what others out there are doing! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: nursing moms come in!

• Is there a particular reason you feel the need to wean?  You can keep nursing if both of you still enjoy it.
  • imageSoon2BMrsN:
    Is there a particular reason you feel the need to wean?  You can keep nursing if both of you still enjoy it.

I want my fertility back. We would like to TTC soon.  

• Loading the player...
  • Agree 100% withethe statement "no one should ever question someone's desire to weam". Amen, sista!!
  • imageLalaMama81:
    While I do not plan on weaning at a year, I will say that if at 11 months you are nursing 6-7 times (which is totally normal) I don't think you should expect to be done nursing at 12 months. More like 15 if you take it gradually. It isn't the same as cutting bottles out b/c nursing is a different kind of ritual. 

Disagree. Depends on the child. I weaned for 6-7 sessions a day to zero in a month. Can be done. 

• How old is your LO? My daughter is almost 10months. I want to wean at a year too. I am tired of unflattering nursing bras and having to wear bigger tops to hold in my chest etc. Also, she is just so darn distracted. She flips herself over onto her tummy, while latched, she unlatches frequently she plays with my nipple etc. I think she's getting ready. I don't think the poster asking why was trying to start a debate, she was probably just curious...hopefully...anyhow

I have started offering whole milk to my daughter with meals in a soft straw cup. No more than 2ounces a day, at first, she's at about 3ounces now. She eats 3meals and has at least 2snacks. I am still nursing her about 4 sometimes 5 times per 24hours. I would really really like to be done at a year but 14months is my absolute I must be done with this point.

• First off, CONGRATULATIONS on BF-ing for a year!! Party!!!  That is an awesome accomplish in itself. 

My little guy currently nurses first thing in the morning (6:30am), right before dinner (5:30pm), right before bed (7:30pm), and in the middle of the night (2:30am).  Throughout the day he drinks frozen BF, but we plan on switching to WCM once we run out of the frozen stuff. 

He turns a year on August 17th, and after that, I will probably drop the 5:30pm feeding.  I will leave the others because it a nice way for both of us to start and our day.  I would LOVE to drop the 2:30am feeding, but he pretty much calls the shots on that one. 

I'm starting to lean towards the TTC myself....but I'm just going to let this play itself out for the next 3-5 months.  Whatever you do, remember that only YOU know what is best for you and your family and you are already doing an AMAZING job.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • LO still nurses 4-5 times a day.  We weaned him off night feeds the first week of July because the frequent night waking was making me a devil with my other kids.  I've since also replaced a nursing session with BM or formula in a cup at snack time to start weaning.  I go back to work on Sept 1st and the idea of finding time to pump just stresses me out.  I hope to be able to do the first morning feed and the bedtime feed until he is 1 yo but only time will tell if that will be possible.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest
  • DD's birthday is in one month and we have okayed it with her Pedi to start adding a little WCM to her breastmilk in a cup or sippy. So we're down to nursing twice a day.

I was going to wait until she was 1, but those teeth are killing me!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Congrats on making it to the one year mark!

I am still nursing DD about five times in a 24 hour period.  I have dropped two sessions in the last two months as I am working towards weaning as well.  I want to be done altogether sometime between 12-14 months , which is why I already started to work on a slow transition.  We are offering more solids at each meal - and she eats a LOT - and we have also incorporated an afternoon snack into each day.  This has gone a long way in removing her inclination to "snack nurse" throughout the afternoon.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • DS has come down to 4 nursing sessions/day on his own. He nurses when waking up, after his first nap, after his second nap, before bed.

I have to wean the two daytime sessions in the next month because I go back to work. Whatever happens with the morning and bedtime session will happen on it's own. If DS wants to completely wean at that point, I'll go with it and if he doesn't, I'll keep nursing morning and night.

At this age, I think LO's should definitely be getting 3 meals (solids) a day. DS has 3 meals a day + one snack.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• imagebrittas:

imageSoon2BMrsN:
    Is there a particular reason you feel the need to wean?  You can keep nursing if both of you still enjoy it.

I would do a little research on this.  I think as long as you are getting your period you are fertile.  (Mine has not returned since delivering DD).  However, if you want the AF to return faster, then weaning would do it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagecfitz16:
    imagebrittas:

imageSoon2BMrsN:

I would do a little research on this.  I think as long as you are getting your period you are fertile.  (Mine has not returned since delivering DD).  However, if you want the AF to return faster, then weaning would do it.

I am not getting my period. I have done my research-- the hormone that produces milk is what delays ovulation. I thought when I went back to work and began pumping it would return. No. Ok, when LO starts solids maybe it would come back. No. Cut out 3 am feedings? Still no AF. I am starting to think I will have to cut back to only a couple sessions a day, or wean completely. 

• imageSoon2BMrsN:

I'm sure she knows that.  Like PP said, she can wean if she wants.

OP--before this last week we were BFing 4x/wk but she has grown less and less interested in BFing during the day, so now we just do wake-up, once during the day, and before bed.  I'm weaning from the afternoon session this week and then Monday I will stop the other session also during the day.  I have 150+oz of frozen BM in the freezer that I need to work through so I've been giving her that during the day in a sippy.  Once it is gone (which should be right around 12m) I will put WCM in a sippy instead. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

• At 11 months we were nursing 4-5 times (and my DD was not very interested in it); now approaching 1 year we are nursing 3-4 times (and her interest has returned some).  When LO is 1 year (in 12 days) I will stop pumping at work  ... and hope to cut out the overnight nursing... which would mean we would nurse 2x a day, at wake and at bedtime.  Even now LO doesn't "ask" to BF, so I could probably drop the afternoon session now, but I'm not ready. Smile

One website I read said STTN is a large factor in AF returning, so if you recently reduced the overnight feedings, maybe your AF is 2-3 weeks away or so?  GL!

Unexplained IF/RPL

TTC#1 2003 BFNs, 2004-2009 imageimageimageimageimage 5 angels above

2010 IVF-PGS-FET#1, DD b. Aug-2011 image

TTC#2 2012 BFNs, 2013 FET#2, DS b. Nov-2013 image

TTC#3 2015 BFNs, FET#3 image (my 6th and last angel above)

Journey Complete.

• Hi!  On the weekends and other days off I nurse 4x - when she wakes up in the morning, after 1st nap, after 2nd nap and right before bedtime.  I work full time and during working days I pump once during the day and nurse 2x - 6pm when I get home and 8:30pm before bedtime.  My pumping session gets me almost enough for 2 bottles the next day - I usually have to take 1-2 oz out of the frezzer.  At 1 year I plan to drop the pumping session - I hate pumping!  I haven't talked to the pedi yet but this is what I think I'm going to do ... I'll continue to nurse when I'm with DD.  For her bottles, I will slowly introduce WCM -  1 oz WCM to 3 oz frozen BM.  Slowly build up to full WCM.  Then phase out the late afternoon feeding then phase out the nightime feeding. 

I'd like to TTC#2 as well and I have yet to get my period.  I think its going to take her fully weaned to do it - we gave up overnight feedings a LONG time ago and we started solids at 6 months.  I even go pretty late in the day before pumping - sometimes I feed Amelia at 8:30 at night and then pump at 1 the next afternoon.  Still no AF. 

But at the same time, I had bad allergies to CM when I was a child so I'd like to take my time with getting her used to it.  But I would actually like to be pregnant right around Amelia's first b-day so that Baby #2 is a May-June baby.  So many decisions ....

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • lanboblanbob member
    I let my girls decide when they were ready. I still continue to introduced foods & cm along the way. DD1 only nursed and continued regularly through out the dayuntil two and then after 2 it was only before bed. DD2 stopped herself about 1. It doesn't seem like DS is going to be ready any time soon. I'm okay with that but we have decided that he is our last LO. DS also enjoys nursing.
  • I'm glad you asked this, I was wondering myself. My son just turned 10 months, and we still nurse at 7a, 11a, 4p, and 7:30p before bed. He also gets 3 meals a day, at 8:30a, 1p, and 5:30p. I haven't given snacks yet, and actually the 1pm meal is more a snack than a meal. I think I have to give more food! He doesn't eat a whole lot now, but everythng I'm reading is telling me he should be eating more solids. Oh, yes, he also wakes up around 11-2 at night for his "midnight" feeding too.

I plan on nursing until around a year and a half. We both really enjoy it, I feel close to my son so I don't feel the need to wean quite yet. I started my period when he was 3 months old though- Boo! :( I would love to have it be gone for a while longer, lol! To answer your question, I will probably cut out the 4pm feeding first, then the 11. But what will be the hardest, is my son pretty much attacks me and comes up to me on a daily basis for just a quick nip. He'll be in the middle of playing, and I'll sit down to join him and he's like, ooh, milk! So I whip out a boobie and he nurses for about 10 seconds to 2 minutes, and he's refreshed and ready to go! :) So it'll be hard saying no to that. I guess bottom line, I have no plans to wean for another 8 months or so, so I've got some time to figure it out. From what I hear, you can supplement a nursing session with expressed bm or cow's milk.

Good luck to you! You sound like a great mama, I'm sure you'll do it slowly and just right for you and your precious baby. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"