August 2012 Moms

how much is the hospital costing you? Clicky poll

Just curious how this plays out for different areas.

[Poll]
TTC #3 since Feb 2014 DS 1: 2010 DS 2: 2012

Re: how much is the hospital costing you? Clicky poll

• I'm Canadian... so we pay nothing (unless you want a private room and dont have extra insurance through your work or something).  

• I'm not 100% sure, but we go through my husband's employer for insurance and one of the guys he works with just had a baby (well, his wife did!) and he said it cost them $3,000. So, we're expecting about that. Especially because I'm not sure the circ is included under insurance. ?? I've heard varying things on that and I'm not positive about all that we're covered for.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I said over 2k. It's going to be around 2500.00. We have BCBS of MS. I know this seems steep to most people but considering we paid $8000 for DD1 and $7000 for DD2, we are pretty pumped. Our previous insurance didn't cover maternity or labor and delivery. It also didn't go towards our deductible. Ridiculous.

• DD1: August 2009
    • DD2: December 2010
    • DS: August 2012
    • M/C 9/2013, 12/2013 
    • DD3: October 2014 - April 2015 Miss you baby girl.
    • Current Due date:  April 14, 2016
    Musings of a Farmer's Wife
  • imageJnmac83:
    I'm not 100% sure, but we go through my husband's employer for insurance and one of the guys he works with just had a baby (well, his wife did!) and he said it cost them $3,000. So, we're expecting about that. Especially because I'm not sure the circ is included under insurance. ?? I've heard varying things on that and I'm not positive about all that we're covered for.

You've heard varying things on the circ because it does vary. :) I've mostly seen it not covered, but mine has been covered x2 now with different insurances (I think its been covered, I'm friends with my OB, so he might just do it for free, not entirely sure).

Anyway, most charge $250-$350 cash for a circ. I would ask in advance, many forget to tell you. Your office should be able to tell you.

TTC #3 since Feb 2014 DS 1: 2010 DS 2: 2012
  • imagetriagain2:

imageJnmac83:
    I'm not 100% sure, but we go through my husband's employer for insurance and one of the guys he works with just had a baby (well, his wife did!) and he said it cost them $3,000. So, we're expecting about that. Especially because I'm not sure the circ is included under insurance. ?? I've heard varying things on that and I'm not positive about all that we're covered for.

You've heard varying things on the circ because it does vary. :) I've mostly seen it not covered, but mine has been covered x2 now with different insurances (I think its been covered, I'm friends with my OB, so he might just do it for free, not entirely sure).

Anyway, most charge $250-$350 cash for a circ. I would ask in advance, many forget to tell you. Your office should be able to tell you.

That's good to know, thanks! I have a check up on Friday, I'll be sure to ask then! I need to check our coverage info too and see what it says. I always forget about the circ!

• My OOP costs for EVERYTHING (including prenatal care) is $200.

ETA: This is for my birth center birth.

• Our insurance covers everything, even my breast pump!
    imageimage

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I'll prob owe 4-6000 after he's born.
  • HMO's are my friend. $250 no matter what they do.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • About $17/day for meals is all we will have to pay with Tricare Standard.

I gave you life, then you gave me mine.

TTC February 2008 to October 2008 One year forced break due to OIF deployment #2
    Resumed TTC in October 2009 HSG, Hysteroscopy, S/A all clear
    Five total medicated cycles and IUI #1-3 = BFN and all while we were still "unexplained IF"
    25 August Lap revealed Endo, adhesions and blocked left tube
    September 2011: Femara + IUI #4 (IUI #1 post endo removal) =BFFN
    November: IVF #1: Stims started 11/16 ER 11/25 (7R, 5F) ET 11/30 Transferred 2 beautiful expanding blastocysts +HPT 12/6/11
    Beta #1 at 9dp5dt=153! Beta #2 at 16dp5dt= 4009!

Ultrasound 12/30 showed one beautiful heartbeat! EDD 17 August, 2012

Hazel Evelyn arrived 10 August, 2012!

Surprise natural BFP March 2015. M/C at 5 weeks
    Another surprise natural BFP April 2015

• We're in Canada so $0 no matter what
  • $0 here in New Zealand. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • My insurance covers everything....so zilch is coming out of pocket. 
  • 0 in Scotland, all my medication is 0 as well which is good because it is very expensive medicine.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicPhotobucket
  • irerirer member
    Hospital cover is free in Ireland if you go to a public hospital, but I am going private so my out of pocket costs for the hospital will be about 1500-2000k. That's with good insurance coverage, though. That said, our yearly health insurance fee for a family of 3 soon to be 4 is significantly less than it would be in the US.
  • We hit our $4k deductible for our HDHP in FEBRUARY so this little lady isn't costing us anything

Pregnancy Ticker
  • 0$ here is Canada! 
  • All my expenses for this LO (dr, labs, hospital and epi) are all out of pocket for me bc I have no maternity coverage. But they give good discounts for prepayment...hospital is around 2,000...total cost for baby is close to 8,000.
  • It's $1500, but my out-of-pocket maximum is $1450 so all of the money I've shelled out at my OB appointments should greatly decrease the amount I actually have to pay the hospital.  I guess I'll just have to wait and see. 

• I get a private room in all 3 area's i'll be in (Triage, Labor/delivery, recovery).  Won't cost us anything for the deliver, neither have any of the appointments that are related to pregnancy (though when i miscarried, the follow up appointments all had copays).

I forget the exact numbers, but i know we pay a couple hundred bucks a month for our portion of our medical insurance, and DH's job pays over 2K a month as well.

10/15/10 HPT+ 10/16/10 +blood test! missed m/c found at 17w, gone at aprox 14w., D&C
    4/26/11 HPT+ 4/28/11 +Blood test! HCG 67 5/24/11 Blighted Ovum.
    6/11-11/11 Non ovulatory cycles
    12/18/11 HPT+ 12/20/11 +Blood Test HCG 165 12/27/11 Beta test HCG 6411
    12/29/11 Beta 11264 1/30/11 Wiggler w/ HB 160+
    Grow Baby Grow!!!! Please be our rainbow!
    Rainbow Born 8/22, so in love with our little girl!
    Valentines
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker</a
  • We paid a few hundred last time (prenatal, OB, pedi, and hospital), so it'll probably be similar.  DH is the one that handles that stuff. lol
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • This will vary widely based on insurance coverage--probably more based on that than location. But, a hospital birth for us would be 100% covered, so $0. We are electing a non-hospital birth, though, and are paying 100% OOP. All care from prenatal to PP is $3500 with our CPM.
  • I don't have to pay a penny! One bonus to having a baby in the military I guess.
  • My copay is $250 so I don't anticipate paying much more out of pocket than that.
  • How much will I owe the hospital? Nothing.

We have a 2500 deductible. Which will go mainly all to the OB, epidural Dr, and to my pediatrician. Generally, the hospital is the last to submit their claim to your insurance since you stay there for a day or two after your delivery. Most of the other guys have already submitted to insurance by then, using up the deductible. And don't let your hospital try and tell you otherwise. 

Last year they called trying to say " If I prepaid at the hospital they would give me 60% off my bill". I called Anthem ( our insurance provider) and she explained the above to me. We took our chances and didn't pay them in the hospital, and never got a bill. More than likely, they would have given us our money back...but who knows HOW long that would have taken?!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker *First RE visit 5/10 *B/W & SA Normal! 6/10 *Laprascopy - Removed septum and cyst 7/10 *50 mg Clomid 8/21 +Trigger 9/1 = BFN *50 mg Clomid 9/17 = No response *100 mg Clomid 9/29 + Trigger 10/8= BFP!! *Beta 1= 297 *Beta 2= 612! *It's a Boy! EDD July 4th 2011 *Surprise!! Natural BFP! Beta 1=306, Beta 2= 1100! EDD Aug 18th 2012! IT's a BOY!
  • I'm baffled how so many people pay less than $250. Our deductible is 3,400 so we've got to pay that out of pocket. Luckily after that 100% is covered. 
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • My hospital gave me a very precise $1288 if it's a regular vaginal birth. $288 is what I have left towards my deductible, plus $500/day for the hospital stay.
  • Nada. I already hit my out-of-pocket max for the year with my Zofran pump so the delivery will cost nothing. We pay $25 for all the prenatal care. I may have to pay up to $1k for the baby if he has to go to the NICU (10% of whatever). We have federal insurance because my DH kind of works for the government. 
    I make cute babies.

IMG_0872

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• imageFraggleChic:
    About $17/day for meals is all we will have to pay with Tricare Standard.

This.  Except I have standard, so I am pretty sure we don't have to pay anything. 

Pregnancy Ticker BabyName Ticker image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"