August 2012 Moms

Evening Primrose Oil

Ok what's the deal with this? I keep reading good things, but anyone have actual experience...either positive or negative? Did you take it orally or insert it vaginally?
BabyFruit Ticker
BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Evening Primrose Oil

• You supposed to take it both way one orally and then one via vagina right before bed. Making sure to wear a liner because things could get oily.
    I have only heard it for thinning hair. Which is why I have some mixed with my hair oils for the big shed after the baby is born. Though the oil has many other uses.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My MW recommended I start taking it at 37 weeks to help soften my cervix. I take 1500 mg, 3x/day. The first two doses I take orally with meals, then the last dose I take vaginally right before bed (and wear a liner because it does leak out). 

So far have had no bad side effects from it. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Baby #2
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I was wondering about this. Is it something that can be bought at a regular pharmacy, I wonder?
  • When you do it before bed, how far do you put it in? Did your MW tell you? Do you poke it with a needle first or just put it in whole?
    BabyFruit Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • imageMsbean22:
    I was wondering about this. Is it something that can be bought at a regular pharmacy, I wonder?

You should be able to find it at any place that sells vitamins: vitamin store, CVS/Walgreens, Target/Walmart, etc. 

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I've been using it since 36w and I think it's working.  I started off taking 500 mg orally twice a day but Monday I upped the dosage to 1000 mg twice a day.  So far, I'm 2-3 cm dilated and 80% effaced.  I start induction on Sunday night and my OB thinks that the Cervidil alone may be enough to kick me into labor since my cervix is so "favorable".  

I'm still kind of hesitant to insert it vaginally.  My friend that just had a baby started it vaginally at 39w5d and she said it burned and she went into labor the next day.  I know it won't work if your body isn't ready though.

• I've been taking  3 capsules vaginally every night for 2 weeks, I'm at 2 cm and 50%.  I took it last time as well and got to 3 cm by my edd.
  • My Mom works at a pharmacy and she asked the pharmacist to look into it. He highly recommended against in and had given me a bunch of printouts of all the dangers and problems that can come from using it.  I've decided not to use it but I do recommend looking into it if you do decide to use it.
  • I used to take it to help my mood and sore boobs while pmsing. I take it now to help my mood swings. However, at 35-4, I was 70% effaced. 
    I make cute babies.

IMG_0872

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• imageTravelSnob:
    My Mom works at a pharmacy and she asked the pharmacist to look into it. He highly recommended against in and had given me a bunch of printouts of all the dangers and problems that can come from using it.  I've decided not to use it but I do recommend looking into it if you do decide to use it.

Hmm, that's interesting.  I've asked 2 different OB's about it and they both said to go for it. I know it's also commonly recommended by a lot of midwifes.  What are some of the negatives?

• imagerachuwrf:
    When you do it before bed, how far do you put it in? Did your MW tell you? Do you poke it with a needle first or just put it in whole?

My mw said to just put it as far in as I can. No need to poke it with a needle because they are gel so they will break down from your body heat.  

Baby #2
    BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"