Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Feeding juice?

My son is on puree's and breast milk still, and I will also give him water in his bottle, but when is it ok to introduce juice?  And what kinda of juice?

I have heard conflicting things about giving apple juice because of arsenic.

Any thoughts? 

Re: Feeding juice?

• imageqtpie61282:

My son is on puree's and breast milk still, and I will also give him water in his bottle, but when is it ok to introduce juice?  And what kinda of juice?

I have heard conflicting things about giving apple juice because of arsenic.

Any thoughts? 

To me, juice is just unnecessary calories and sugar.  I prefer to give actual fruits.  We have only used juice with my older LO to stave off consitpation.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • what about homemade juices, fresh from the fruits?  Im big into making my own purees and wouldn't be opposed to making my own juices either.
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't give my girls juice either, but I think that if you are juicing fruits yourself and not adding anything to the juice, then it's the same as giving them the fruit.  I would just be careful giving your lo juice of any kind because you don't want them to fill up on juice and not have their normal feeding.  Formula or BM is still their main source of nutrition.
    image image image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't consider giving kids juice 'feeding'. It's like a treat. My son will just drink water unless I feel like giving him a treat and (when he's older) I would just splash a little in his water. I'd be more likely to give a Popsicle as a treat. But I do also make my own popsicles with real fruit and no added sugar. 

However, using a juicer that leaves almost all of the whole fruit sounds like a good idea.  

**Meagan** Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I only used the term Feeding because I couldn't think of any other way of saying it.  I meant as a treat not a main nutrient source.

And if I do, Ill just make my own from fresh fruits, and use as a treat.  He still gets his servings of fruit and veges and cereal and of course breast milk....just wanted to get everyone's thoughts on the whole juice thing. 

• He's never had juice. We won't be giving him any until a year old. And even then it will be very watered down.

BFP #1: 3.28.11 Dx w/ PIH @ 24w DS Born @ 36w: 11.7.11 6 Days in NICU
    BFP #2: 8.31.16 Dx w/ GD @ 28w DD Born @ 36w: 4.21.17

• watered down is how my sis in law would give it to her son.  I'm not eager to do it, just crossed my mind when I saw some in the store in the kids section.

they sell little gerber juice cup things. 

• hway24hway24 member

At our 6 month check up, our pedi said we could start giving it to him.

I didn't want to and hadn't planned on giving him any for awhile. But, last week I gave him some for the first time. We've been trying to get him used to the sippy cup for awhile and he's just not interested in it with water. He did actually drink out of it some when I put juice in it. But he still didn't get very much, not nearly enough to fill him up, and I did water down.

After 2years TTC and 1yr,2mo waiting for an adoption match, our blessing is here!

"You may not have my eyes or smile, but from that very first moment you had my heart"Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Surprise BFP made our family complete!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I have used juice for constipation but that is it.  At my sons 6 month check up the doctor said that we could give him juice but atleast make it 50/50 with water.  Personally, I would dilute it more if I was just giving it to him as a treat, but I don't plan on doing that either.  I want him to like water.  As of now, I only use juice for constipation. 
    +hpt on December 27th, 2010--miscarriage and D&C at 12 weeks--angel taken too soon but never forgotten Clomid started June 2011-- +hpt July 2, 2011--grow baby grow :) Chance Bryant born @ 31 weeks due to abruption Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • LO makes "yucky" faces when I gave him juice a couple weeks ago. I had given 1oz juice mixed with 3 oz water. So I gave him just water and he guzzled it down.

I think I'm going to stick with just water unless we medically need to give juice. 

Water it down for sure, and only do 100% juice. Even if you don't get WIC, go by what is WIC approved. A lot of grocery stores have a sheet you can borrow or even little notations on the  shelf label. They only approve 100% juice so you won't have to read the label.

In juices the sugars are concentrated and a lot of the fiber is missing, so fruit is better.

Remember that baby will only know what you decide to give. If you don't give juice at all, they won't know the difference.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"