3rd Trimester

I need some induction sadness help

So as of my last appointment at 40 and 1 I was still less than a fingertip dilated, very high and posterior. Baby's in position but not dropped, I haven't had any signs of losing my mucus plug and have actually had a decrease in the usual discharge. If she could have reached it at all my OB would have swept my membranes but she could barely reach my cervix as it was. We went back to her office and I knew what was coming. Plan A, she comes on her own. If she's not here or on her way by tomorrow morning I have an NST and sono to check fluid. If either test is no good Plan B is to check in for induction tomorrow night. If she's doing ok, we'll wait till Sunday and then Plan C is to start the foley induction process Sunday night. 

Maybe I shouldn't be but I'm devastated. I was sobbing in my OB's office and cried the whole ride home. I know there's a chance she could still come on her own and I've probably just shot myself in the foot with research but I have dread about the pitocin and how that might impact labor - will I be able to do this without drugs, and will my stubborn cervix even respond? Will the baby be able to handle an induction or will we end up on the operating table? 

And then there's just the silly expectations of going into labor on your own, the experience that you share with your spouse when your water breaks or the contractions become "real". I know he's not nor would he ever be disappointed in me, but my husband has admitted he was looking forward to that crazy "this is it" moment. Both of my parents took off this week, which was their gamble to take, but I'm also kicking myself for not being able to give them this time with their granddaughter. Out of my control I know I know, but I still hate it and I'm frustrated with my body, something I really don't want to be right now.

So there it is. Naive as it sounds I never thought I'd be facing an induction. We got pregnant so easily (too easily considering it was unplanned, but thank you God all the same), my body seemed to take to pregnancy well.. I just don't understand what stopped happening. I could use any positive experiences you have to share, or even a good kick in the pity pants. Thanks for reading.  

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: I need some induction sadness help

• You get to meet a healthy baby- look at it that way!  I know you wanted a different experience but these things happen in their own ways.  In some ways I wish I could have an induction.  I hate not knowing when this baby will arrive, when I need to be ready, if I have more time to finish my "to do" list.  I am sorry this is not happening the way you wanted it to happen but it will all be worth it in the end- however your baby decides to arrive!

Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Is there a reason they want to induce? Does your OB have a policy that you can't go beyond 41 weeks?

Personally, I would ask for more time. Due dates are really guess dates.

My friend just got induced at 41 weeks. Baby was 7 lbs and looked early. Her OB thinks they got her dates wrong.

All that said, I feel for you. That sucks. 

• Loading the player...
  • I was induced at 39w3d for medical reasons (pre-e & IUGR).  We had complications, but none of them were caused by the induction.  I was not dilated or effaced at all, so we started with Cytotec overnight.  The last dose was placed at 6am and I still didn't have any progress at that point.  They checked me at 9am and I was 4cm (no pain), my OB did rounds at 10am and I was 6cm, 70% so he broke my water.  DD's heart rate dropped to 60, so we did an amnio infusion.  When he broke my water is when the contractions started hurting.  

I got the epidural as soon as they did the amnio infusion and got DD's heart rate stable.  I labored (I assume with pitocin, though no one ever said anything about it) for awhile and my nurse said DD was sunny side up, so they had me do a bunch of things to try and get her to flip.  In the course of all that moving around they think my epi slipped out.  I started having intense back pain, so they called the anesthiologist back.  He said the only thing he could do is re-do the epi, but I was already 10cm & 100%, so it was too late.  It was 2pm when I started pushing.

Every contraction DD's heart rate would drop briefly & after hours of pushing we realized she was stuck.  They called my OB and told me not to push until he got there.  That was the longest 15min of my life! When the OB arrived he called for a tray and told me he needed to use forceps to pull her out or I would need a c-section.  1 episiotomy, 2 pushes & 4 small tears later DD was born.  She is perfectly healthy & happy.  None of the issues we had were caused by the induction & I'm reasonably happy with how her birth went, though I was told by everyone (the doctors and nurses that attended to both of us at the hospital) that her birth was "traumatic".

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Married 1/2/99.
    TTC since 4/09.
    Diagnosed PCOS. Diagnosed Hypothryoid 11/09.
    SHG & SA normal. PCOS Research study started 5/10.
    Clomid/Femara cycle #1 - 6/10 = BFN
    Clomid/Femara cycle #2 - 7/10 = BFP #1 - Missed miscarriage 9/2/10
    11/12 - BFP #2 - 11/22 - m/c
    5/1/11 - BFP #3 - Pre-eclampsia, IUGR & bed rest from 32w. DD born via induction 1/4/12.
  • imageelainelbuck:

I was induced at 39w3d for medical reasons (pre-e & IUGR).  We had complications, but none of them were caused by the induction.  I was not dilated or effaced at all, so we started with Cytotec overnight.  The last dose was placed at 6am and I still didn't have any progress at that point.  They checked me at 9am and I was 4cm (no pain), my OB did rounds at 10am and I was 6cm, 70% so he broke my water.  DD's heart rate dropped to 60, so we did an amnio infusion.  When he broke my water is when the contractions started hurting.  

I got the epidural as soon as they did the amnio infusion and got DD's heart rate stable.  I labored (I assume with pitocin, though no one ever said anything about it) for awhile and my nurse said DD was sunny side up, so they had me do a bunch of things to try and get her to flip.  In the course of all that moving around they think my epi slipped out.  I started having intense back pain, so they called the anesthiologist back.  He said the only thing he could do is re-do the epi, but I was already 10cm & 100%, so it was too late.  It was 2pm when I started pushing.

Every contraction DD's heart rate would drop briefly & after hours of pushing we realized she was stuck.  They called my OB and told me not to push until he got there.  That was the longest 15min of my life! When the OB arrived he called for a tray and told me he needed to use forceps to pull her out or I would need a c-section.  1 episiotomy, 2 pushes & 4 small tears later DD was born.  She is perfectly healthy & happy.  None of the issues we had were caused by the induction & I'm reasonably happy with how her birth went, though I was told by everyone (the doctors and nurses that attended to both of us at the hospital) that her birth was "traumatic".

Yikes!

Um, the OP was looking for some induction comfort. This is a really intense birth story. I'm glad it all ended well but couldn't you have just told her, I was induced at 39 weeks and while I had some complications not related to the induction, I progressed with the cytotec and had a vaginal delivery?

IMHO, 3rd tri is not a place to share a traumatic birth story with someone looking for some reassurance. 

• Sorry, hun. It's frustrating when things don't pan out the way you'd like. I am scared to death that instead of a VBAC that after tomorrow's ultrasound I am going to end up with a repeat c-section or another 2WW.

Hang in there.

BabyFetus Ticker
    BFP May 2017. 
    BFP July 2014. Low Progesterone. DS born by repeat c-section for breech presentation.
    BFP November 2011 TWINS!!!. Lost a twin at 7 weeks. DS born VBAC.
    BFP July 2009. DD born via c/section for breech presentation.
    BFP Jan. 2009. Missed miscarriage at 9 weeks.D&C March 2010
    December 2009 - Diagnosed with bicornuate uterus.
  • I completely understand.  While I'm only 38w now, I was just told yesterday that because of my recent issues with gestational hypertension that I should probably go ahead and be induced next week when I hit 39w.  It was kind of out of left field as my BP has been higher for weeks and my OB never mentioned that it was a concern since there was no protein in my urine (so no pre-e) and it wasn't dangerously high (just 10-15 points higher than it usually is).

I always envisioned that my water would break or I would start having contractions and DH would support me during early labor and we'd try to figure out when it was time to go in.  But after the initial shock, I realized there are benefits to being induced. First, there will be no guesswork, I'll know exactly when to go in.  We'll have everything prepared (bags, car seat, dog care, etc.) and my in-laws who live a couple hours away will know exactly when to be here, as will my in-town family. Plus I can pretty much guarantee my OB will deliver since it will be during her on-call hours.

I've been taking EPO for a couple weeks now so while I'm only 1-2 cm dilated, I'm about 80% effaced so the OB wants to bring me in the night before and start cytotec which she said might be enough on it's own to get things moving without actually needing the pitocin.  I was already planning on having a medicated birth so she says if I do need pit, it will be much easier to handle in conjunction with the epidural.  A lot of my friends have been induced and the majority have had very positive experiences. I just think it's the negative ones we're more prone to hear about on message boards.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • If you have no medical problems and are passing your NSTs, why not wait for 42 weeks? That is my deadline and I am older with a 2 vessel umbilical cord. We ate watching baby's health more vigilantly, but as long as he looks good, I get to wait it out. 

IVF #1 ET 1 d3 embryo 10/30/11 BFP
    3 Embryos frozen (1 d5, 2 d6)

DS born 07/29/12

FET #1 ET 1 d5 embryo 02/10/15 BFN

FET #2 1 d6 embryo didn't survive thaw, transferred last d6. CP :(

• OP, I am so sorry. I have this fear as well. The thing to keep in mind is that once the cervix softener (cervadil, cytotec, w/e) is in place and has been there for 2 hours, you may still be allowed walk around and do all the labor things that you wanted. I hope your induction can go as natural as possible and good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You do have the right to decline the induction.  If you and baby are healthy and you pass your NST it would be perfectly okay to say that you would like to give it another week or even 2.  Most doctors will say they do not want you to go over 42 weeks.  You may have to do daily NST tests, but if it will help you get more of the birth you want go for it. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagepoison489:
    You do have the right to decline the induction.  If you and baby are healthy and you pass your NST it would be perfectly okay to say that you would like to give it another week or even 2.  Most doctors will say they do not want you to go over 42 weeks.  You may have to do daily NST tests, but if it will help you get more of the birth you want go for it. 

I second this. 

Baby Names - BabyNamey.com Name Badge Ticker
    Home Birthing-Breastfeeding-Cloth Diapering-Baby Wearing-CoSleeping-Delayed/Selective Vaccination Mama to Charlie (5yrs) and Madeline (21mos)
  • I completely understand how you feel! But, I'd speak to your OB about waiting past 41 weeks with good NST results.

I had an unplanned induction with my DD - went in at 41 weeks because we thought I was leaking amniotic fluid and they just decided to admit me which resulted in lots of pitocin.  Looking back I should have asked to go home... oh well!  Either way everything went fine, it was just longer than it would have been if I started labor naturally (or at least I think so).

This time my OB is very open to my plan to have an unmedicated birth (last time I was open to whatever).  She said that they will do NSTs after 40 weeks and induce by 42 weeks as long as those go well.  She said the average gestation period is 41 weeks and anything over that is overdue, but before is an elective induction (often for medical reasons).

• you could go from nothing to having your baby the same day...everyone is different...you could also be 4cm dilated for weeks...I wouldn't try to worry too much about where you are right now it could be any time good luck
    May you always have in your arms the one who is in your heart.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

pregnancybr>

BabyFruit Ticker

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • MH just asked me if we could do the whole induction thing again this time since it went so well with DD.

I don't know anything about the Foley bulb, but it sounds more natural than jumping the gun with pitocin right away. I received cervadil (I read horror stories about cytotec, so while I'm glad it worked for some ladies here, I would have declined htat) overnight and went into labor naturally with just that.

Once they confirmed I was in labor, I was able to have the cervadil removed and labored without medical intervention for 10 hrs, received IV drugs, and delivered DD 12 hrs after labor kicked in.  

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The 41 week date was, as I understood it, because we were unsure of my dates to begin with and as my OB said, she'd rather be a few days early than a few days late. But to those of you who questioned that, you do have a point - if LO is passing her tests why not wait? I think part of it is also scheduling around my OB's on call schedule. When I first met with her I was he first time patient asking over and over how likely she was to deliver our baby, how far in advance she schedules vacations, etc and she expressed her own desire to see as many patients from first appointment through to delivery as possible, so there's that factor in there as well. Couldn't hurt to ask though, if waiting a few extra days is an option. My heart breaks for my parents who wanted so badly to be there for us this week and I know it will be difficult for both of them to be around next week after the baby is born, whenever that may be. I'm really just trying to put my faith and trust in God and know that this will be a joyous time whenever it comes, but coming this far and feeling like I'm in a stare-down with my own body is mentally and emotionally draining and a bit demoralizing. 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • It seems like you've already gotten a lot of good advice, and may have already decided on talking to your doctor about waiting, but I wanted to offer another story about induction.

I'm a FTM, but my neighbor and friend just had her second child last year. She told me for both of her births she scheduled an elective induction on her due date because she didn't want to wait. For both inductions, she showed up at the hospital at ~7am and had the baby by that evening, with no other interventions necessary besides pitocin and an epidural. She said both experiences were great, low stress for her, and resulted in two healthy babies, and if she decided to have a third child she would be doing the same.

So there are all types of births out there. Try not to worry too much, and if it helps maybe focus on a moment in the future. I mean, at your baby's first birthday this will probably be a very small memory compared to all the others you'll make in the meanwhile. That may be easier said than done. :)

TTC since March 2010 BFP 11/18/11 DD born 8/6/12 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagekayetbug:

You get to meet a healthy baby- look at it that way!  I know you wanted a different experience but these things happen in their own ways.  In some ways I wish I could have an induction.  I hate not knowing when this baby will arrive, when I need to be ready, if I have more time to finish my "to do" list.  I am sorry this is not happening the way you wanted it to happen but it will all be worth it in the end- however your baby decides to arrive!

This exactly. It stinks to not have control over the situation, but bodies (and babies) do weird things. Your doc is going to do her best for you and your baby, and to make sure your baby is healthy which is the most important part!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • unless there was a medical emergency i would never let an OB induce me. heck no. it's amazing to me that these OBs think they know better than nature. i understand that occasionally there are situations where induction could potentially save a life but there's no way they are warranted as much as they are used. if it was my OB i'd tell em to back off and let me finish baking my baby, AT LEAST until 42 weeks. ugh.
  • OMG!! Your story and mine are really a like!! my mom and mother in law are here with us waiting for my baby girl to arrive, I'll be induced as well, next wenesday. I still have hope she will arrive before that date, but I am not sure my baby girl really wants to come out, I feel terrific no pain, no contractions no mucus plug no discahrge no nothing and that worries me. I really hope both of us can have a natural birth with no indution. Good luck.
  • imagepatickles:
    OMG!! Your story and mine are really a like!! my mom and mother in law are here with us waiting for my baby girl to arrive, I'll be induced as well, next wenesday. I still have hope she will arrive before that date, but I am not sure my baby girl really wants to come out, I feel terrific no pain, no contractions no mucus plug no discahrge no nothing and that worries me. I really hope both of us can have a natural birth with no indution. Good luck.

Good luck to you too :) 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • imageInfinityDreamer:

imagepoison489:
    You do have the right to decline the induction.  If you and baby are healthy and you pass your NST it would be perfectly okay to say that you would like to give it another week or even 2.  Most doctors will say they do not want you to go over 42 weeks.  You may have to do daily NST tests, but if it will help you get more of the birth you want go for it. 

I second this. 

This. I wouldn't do a medically unnecessary induction before 42w. I've had friends switch to midwives from OBs at 41 weeks for this reason, btw. That's drastic, I know, and might be worse comfort-wise for you than sticking with your OB, but my friends did this because they felt the OB's schedule and not their wishes and what they felt was best for their baby was leading the birth plan.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I really believe the key to being okay with an induction is being sure yourself that it's medically necessary for your baby. I was induced with my son and while it was a difficult delivery I don't regret it for one single second because I'm convinced that it was what needed to happen for him to be safe and healthy. When we were headed to the hospital I was concerned about the higher risk of Cesarean section and the "domino effect" of interventions - but they didn't matter at that point. If that's what it took, that's what it took. (I was induced because of pre-e) That's the ultimate goal... right? To get your healthy baby in your arms? And while that's definitely not all that matters, it was definitely the MOST important thing.

I recommend talking to your doctor about why they feel induction is the best thing medically for you and your baby. Don't stop talking until either 1. You're convinced it's the best choice to make and you're comfortable proceeding with an induction. or 2. You have come up with a different plan with your doctor that you are comfortable with. This is your health and your baby's health that you're talking about here. While, yes, the doctor is the expert, YOU are still the responsible party. If something goes wrong your doctor will not live with it for the rest of their life like you will. That means the decision is ultimately up to you. 

• imagejudahsmommy1:

I really believe the key to being okay with an induction is being sure yourself that it's medically necessary for your baby. I was induced with my son and while it was a difficult delivery I don't regret it for one single second because I'm convinced that it was what needed to happen for him to be safe and healthy. When we were headed to the hospital I was concerned about the higher risk of Cesarean section and the "domino effect" of interventions - but they didn't matter at that point. If that's what it took, that's what it took. (I was induced because of pre-e) That's the ultimate goal... right? To get your healthy baby in your arms? And while that's definitely not all that matters, it was definitely the MOST important thing.

I recommend talking to your doctor about why they feel induction is the best thing medically for you and your baby. Don't stop talking until either 1. You're convinced it's the best choice to make and you're comfortable proceeding with an induction. or 2. You have come up with a different plan with your doctor that you are comfortable with. This is your health and your baby's health that you're talking about here. While, yes, the doctor is the expert, YOU are still the responsible party. If something goes wrong your doctor will not live with it for the rest of their life like you will. That means the decision is ultimately up to you. 

Thank you for this, exactly what I needed to hear. I trust my OB and I understand why she wants to induce now, but I don't feel as though it's medically necessary. I'm supposed to go in tomorrow night and I'm still struggling with it. Family is here and I don't feel like I have room to breathe much less to think things through. 

Your response gave me a moment's pause, so thank you for that.  

BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"