Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Update to This Momma needs some sleep!

So for the last few days we have been working on sleep training again. It seems to be going fairly well. Still some rough patches, but it's only been a few days.

We've been combining CIO and soothing. At night I put baby down and I set my CIO limit to 20 minutes. There were a couple books I read that said let them cry no matter how long, but I'm not willing to do that.

So, I feed baby a bottle, then lay him down.

If he's still crying at 20 minutes I go in and use the binky and rub baby's tummy. I don't pick him up.

He usually sleeps until 2:30-4 (it's been changing since we started this) and then wants a full bottle. I don't pick him up, but feed him the bottle in his crib. Then I go back to bed. If he fusses, I use the binky and tummy rub. 

Naps are still a bit of a challenge. Some days he sleeps better, some not. He does seem to be tired right at the 2 hour mark after waking up in the morning. One day he slept for 2 hours, one day he slept for 20 minutes. He will typically take a nap after I get home from work at 2:30 for a couple hours.

I am still working on getting his bed time up from around 10pm to between 7 and 8.

As I write this post he has been doing his 20min CIO. It's still hard on me to let him cry for 20 mins, but I don't want an 8 year old who can't get to sleep!!! (exaggeration probably I know)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Update to This Momma needs some sleep!

• Not trying to be mean but to set a limit like 20 mins on CIO might teach him to cry for 20 min until you come in.  Have you thought about Ferber Method of gradually increasing check ins?  
    image Image and video hosting by TinyPic image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Doesn't say in your post, do you check on him inbetween the 20 minutes? We did CIO and I went back in a 5 min and settled him down with a back rub for a min or so and then I did 7 min check and then a 10.
    Started TTC - 01/2009 1st BFP - 09/04/09,1st u/s - 10/06/09- no heartbeat seen, D&E - 10/13/09 BFP #2 - 2/12/10, m/c 2/17/10 BFP #3 - 01/03/11 m/c 01/10/11 BFP #4 - 02/21/11 DS born 10/13/2011 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imagelcourter24:
    Not trying to be mean but to set a limit like 20 mins on CIO might teach him to cry for 20 min until you come in.  Have you thought about Ferber Method of gradually increasing check ins?  

This!! I replied to your earlier post. I never let DD cry for that long at once. We do 3,5,10 minute checks. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Also don't think baby should be fed bottle laying completely flat. I believe that can cause ear infections.
    Started TTC - 01/2009 1st BFP - 09/04/09,1st u/s - 10/06/09- no heartbeat seen, D&E - 10/13/09 BFP #2 - 2/12/10, m/c 2/17/10 BFP #3 - 01/03/11 m/c 01/10/11 BFP #4 - 02/21/11 DS born 10/13/2011 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagecandylies:
    Also don't think baby should be fed bottle laying completely flat. I believe that can cause ear infections.

I think she feeds him the bottle and after he is finished, she lays him down. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imagelcourter24:
    Not trying to be mean but to set a limit like 20 mins on CIO might teach him to cry for 20 min until you come in.  Have you thought about Ferber Method of gradually increasing check ins?  

We check on him, but so that he can't see us. I worry that he will roll over and get himself into a predicament he can't get out of. We were doing the 5-10 min calm down check ins, but that only fueled his fire to scream more. I've found that if we let him cry he calms down before the 20 mins is up. There's only been one night that at 20 mins he wasn't asleep.

Someone asked about LO eating while laying flat. I don't pick him up in the middle of the night, but I do prop his head up with my hand so that he isn't flat. Before bedtime I'm holding him.

• Does he have a late nap that you could cut out and just put him to bed earlier? We used to do three naps but eventually cut out the third nap and just moved up bedtime.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"