Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Nursing an 8 month old

Hi All...my son is 8 mo. old, and he's eating three solid meals a day of cereal, fruits, veggies, etc. & I'm still nursing him three to four times a day.  He nurses for about a half hour each time for three of the four times and then only gives me about 10 min if I'm lucky the fourth time.  Just wondering if I should cut that session out or if anyone thinks it's necessary that he nurses this fourth time.  His pediatrician doesn't really help me with BF questions.  Thanks!

Re: Nursing an 8 month old

• Solid feeding doesn't replace breast feeding at this point.  3-4 sessions is probably not enough and if it seems like the solids are making him less hungry for milk feeds, I'd consider cutting back on the solids.  Mine nurses 6-8 times per day.

~Working Mom~Breastfeeding Mom~Cloth Diapering Mom~BLW Mom~

Blog - No Longer on the DL ~ The Man Cave
    Shawn and Larissa
    LO #1 - Took 2 years and 2 IVFs ~ DX - severe MFI mild PCOS homozygous MTHFR (a1298c)
    LO #2 - TTC 7 months, surprise spontaneous BFP!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My 8 month old also eats 3 meals of solids a day in addition to 6-7 nursing sessions a day. I would think 3-4 isn't enough. I have always been told that food before 1 is not for nutrition but for practice. Most calories are supposed to come from milk or formula. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I agree with PPs. Remember to BF before a solid meal.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I don't have any solid advice, other than that our pedi said as long as DD is nursing at least 4 times from wake up to sleep then she was not concerned ( and she is tiny) I don't push it on her but i encourage her to nurse before breakfast, before lunch, and once or twice between lunch and dinner. and if she wants i don't refuse.  As said- solids dont take the place of nursing, the benefits are just as great as the first month of nursing.  If you find he isn't wanting to nurse as much maybe ( if you are blessed with being a pumper, as i am not lol) pump and put in a sippy cup or even in with some food for extra benefits!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Also, length of a nursing session does not necessarily indicate quantity. My daughter nurses for no more than 5 min at a time and she lasts 3 hours between feedings and is growing well. It's possible that your baby is not interested in lingering at the breast during that 4th feed so is being more efficient. 

Out of curiosity, which feed is the short one? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The third one of the day, it's later in the afternoon.
  • jb2rnjb2rn member

I would offer the breast more, and solids less. Breastmilk has more calories, anyway.

My almost 8mo old isn't too interested in solids just yet, so it's all BM. When I do offer solids, I always BF first.

b/w=FSH 15.6, AMH 0.4 surprise natural BFP on 3/12/11
    DS born via unplanned C-section at 40w6d

• My almost 9 month old usually breastfeeds 5 times a day.. If I didn't offer until she asked it would be 4 times. I just try to plan so she drinks before she takes solids (usually 30-60 min before a meal). I mostly let her do her thing as far as how much solids she eats and would not restrict how much she wants to eat in 1 sitting.if you only giver her 3 meals a day (no snacks).

Baby #1: m/c at 5 weeks (2011)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    Baby #3: missed m/c found at 11.5 weeks (2013)
    Baby #4: missed m/c at 10 weeks (2013)
    Baby #5: m/c at 6 weeks (2014)
    Baby #6: Saw a heartbeat at 7w, baby stopped growing at 7w1d, found at 8w u/s : d&c  (2014)

Hoping for my lucky #7 (one last try!)
  • I've been using www.wholesomefood.com as a reference and they suggest this:

6-8 Months of age:
    Breastfeed every 3-4 hours or Formula 24-37 ounces

9-12 Months of age:
    Breastfeed every 4-5 hours or Formula 24-31 ounces

Sounds like your little guy is just getting ready and is okay with nursing 4 times a day!  I would follow his cues.  My doctor's office also gave me a handout with essentially the same information.  My 6 mo old is nursing 5 times a day, and eats about twice a day- one meal not as much as the other.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"