February 2013 Moms

FFFC

Anyone have any good ones? Let's hear 'em!

I have one today. I've been reading about the Colorado shooting, which is obviously heartbreaking and an example of completely senseless violence. My heart goes out to the everyone, especially the gunman's mother; who woke up to the realization that her son had killed 12 people.

Ok, here's the flameful confession; a 6 year old and 4 month old were taken to the hospital for observation. Who takes a 6 year old and 4 month old to a midnight showing of a 2 hour and 44 minute movie? C'mon!

I am glad the children are ok.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: FFFC

• imagePeekaRu:

Ok, here's the flameful confession; a 6 year old and 4 month old were taken to the hospital for observation. Who takes a 6 year old and 4 month old to a midnight showing of a 2 hour and 44 minute movie? C'mon!

I used to take my oldest baby to the movies when he was that age.  I could nurse him and he would sleep through the entire movie.  Much easier than finding a sitter.  Then once they stop sleeping so much it becomes impossible to ever go to the movies.

Would I take my 6 yo to see Batman?  No.  But I also wouldn't let them watch Nickelodeon or Disney Channel.  We all have our own standards for what is acceptable for children.

My FFFC - I'm really glad DH has his concealed carry permit.  He takes his gun to places like the movies.  If a gunman starts shooting I feel better knowing that DH is there with me to protect me.  Today has inspired me to do what DH has wanted me to do for a while - get my own concealed carry permit.  I'm going to classes as soon as I have this baby.

• I'm sure this is flameworthy, but I hate people who bring kids to the movies and then let them cry or talk through the whole thing. "They're just kids, what can you do?" Uhm, you could not bring them to a rated R movie at 9pm, or you could tell them to stfu, or you could leave with them when they start crying. When you go see Brave in theaters, you expect kids to be doing kid stuff. When you see The Orphan in theaters, you have different expectations.

/rant

Sorry, I hate when movies get ruined.

• Loading the player...
  • I have two.

I let my kids watch the Disney Channel every morning.

I have been living off of carbs and am not exercising at all. I have never gotten very big while pregnant, but I am going to be a whale by the end of this one.

imageimageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imagetabby0521:

I have been living off of carbs and am not exercising at all. I have never gotten very big while pregnant, but I am going to be a whale by the end of this one.

The third one ruins your body no matter what.  All the women in my family have said the same thing.  I didn't gain any extra weight with #3 - no more than I did with the first two, but my body is totally different now.  After #2 my stomach went back to being flat and you could see my abs.  After #3 there was a pocket of fat that just wouldn't go away.  I'm scared to see what #4 will do to me.

• I agree, who takes a 3 month old and 6 year old to a midnight showing of a loud R rated movie? ...............DUMB PEOPLE.

• Mash67Mash67 member
    imageemmyann52:

I agree, who takes a 3 month old and 6 year old to a midnight showing of a loud R rated movie? ...............DUMB PEOPLE.

Its one thing to take them to the movie.. I wouldnt let my 6 yo watch it.... but to take them out so late is crazy to me!
  • image+adamwife+:
    imagetabby0521:

The third one ruins your body no matter what.  All the women in my family have said the same thing.  I didn't gain any extra weight with #3 - no more than I did with the first two, but my body is totally different now.  After #2 my stomach went back to being flat and you could see my abs.  After #3 there was a pocket of fat that just wouldn't go away.  I'm scared to see what #4 will do to me.

Good to know! I've been obsessed with my weight all my life. When I got married, I told DH my only goal was to get fat and flabby. At least I can say I did it bringing beautiful babies into the world.  :)

I have a friend who had 4 kids back to back, and she is a rail. I secretly hate her because I am not so secretly insanely jealous. I want 4, but I know better than to think her tiny hiney is the norm.

imageimageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imagetabby0521:
    image+adamwife+:
    imagetabby0521:

Good to know! I've been obsessed with my weight all my life. When I got married, I told DH my only goal was to get fat and flabby. At least I can say I did it bringing beautiful babies into the world.  :)

I have a friend who had 4 kids back to back, and she is a rail. I secretly hate her because I am not so secretly insanely jealous. I want 4, but I know better than to think her tiny hiney is the norm.

My sister has four and she is a triathlete.  She is teeny tiny, but she has this little pooch right around her tummy that won't go awa no matter how much she works for it.  I'd take that pooch if I could get rid of the thighs.

I hope you are one of the lucky ones Smile

• I'm rolling my eyes at all of the judgment about the kids in the theater.  Would I take my 6 year old to an R-rated movie?  No.  But perhaps the parents that did allowed this to happen just this once.  Maybe the kid LOVES batman and the parents let him see it as a special treat.  Maybe the kids took really long naps in the afternoon so they could stay up. 

As far as the baby in the movie theater - it's a baby.  They sleep wherever they are.  Who cares that the parents took a sleeping baby to the theater? 

Some parents let their little ones stay up on the fourth of july until midnight or later for fireworks.  Some parents let their little ones stay up on New Year's very late.  Who cares?  I doubt these parents are doing this every night.

• I am a bad pet parent today.

I went away for over two hours, accidentally locked the cat in the office.

Then got home, let the dog out to pee, forgot she was outside, in the pouring down rain, for 15 minutes. Dumb dumb didn't bark, so I feel like I can kind of blame her for that one.  

And I am really bitter today, realized this morning that I would have been due in about 2 weeks.  

• image+adamwife+:

I'm rolling my eyes at all of the judgment about the kids in the theater.  Would I take my 6 year old to an R-rated movie?  No.  But perhaps the parents that did allowed this to happen just this once.  Maybe the kid LOVES batman and the parents let him see it as a special treat.  Maybe the kids took really long naps in the afternoon so they could stay up. 

As far as the baby in the movie theater - it's a baby.  They sleep wherever they are.  Who cares that the parents took a sleeping baby to the theater? 

Some parents let their little ones stay up on the fourth of july until midnight or later for fireworks.  Some parents let their little ones stay up on New Year's very late.  Who cares?  I doubt these parents are doing this every night.

There's a time and a place for kids to do things. New Years Eve parties and Fireworks are family events. PG-13 (or R) movies at midnight are adult events. If someone is going to bring kids somewhere they don't belong, they should expect other people to judge them. Especially when the kids talk during the movie. And Batman is an action movie. It's loud. It's going to wake up the kid and it's not fair to make other people listen to a baby cry in the middle of a movie that they spent money to see and are excited about.

• image+adamwife+:

I'm rolling my eyes at all of the judgment about the kids in the theater.  Would I take my 6 year old to an R-rated movie?  No.  But perhaps the parents that did allowed this to happen just this once.  Maybe the kid LOVES batman and the parents let him see it as a special treat.  Maybe the kids took really long naps in the afternoon so they could stay up. 

This. Ok yea...maybe not the MOST responsible decision ever, but lets be honest the only reason we would usually think it's irresponsible is because kids should be in bed. These parents were probably thinking "well I guess they might be kind of exhausted tomorrow" not " well they might get shot". It was a highly unfortunate thing to happen but I think it is far more important to focus on them thankfully being ok.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • imageMinipenguin:
    image+adamwife+:

There's a time and a place for kids to do things. New Years Eve parties and Fireworks are family events. Rated R movies at midnight are adult events. If someone is going to bring kids somewhere they don't belong, they should expect other people to judge them. Especially when the kids talk during the movie. And Batman is an action movie. It's loud. It's going to wake up the kid and it's not fair to make other people listen to a baby cry in the middle of a movie that they spent money to see and are excited about.

I'm assuming you've never had a three month old baby, because all three of mine would have slept through a movie like that easily without ever crying (and if they did for some reason, a simple pop on the boob would solve the problem). 

This movie wasn't rated R, it's PG-13.  This means that anyone can watch it, but it is recommended that children under the age of 13 have parental guidance.  It's legal for children to go to those movies with their parent.  Maybe you disagree with your child seeing them (as I do), but I certainly won't judge other parents for doing this every now and then, because I am pretty sure their children aren't staying up until midnight every night and going to the theater every week at midnight.  It's probably a special occasion. 

Plus, I'm sure there are things I do that those same parents would judge me for doing. 

• I love the Flame Free Friday post.

For breakfast, I had a blueberry muffin and chocolate milk.

I'm letting my lab sleep on the couch next to me because I was tired of listening to him whine. Now he is snoring.

I'm supposed to be studying for a final on Monday and instead I am watching Project Runway.

The day the Bump died - Jasper is wise
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imagebuggirl72:

I love the Flame Free Friday post.

For breakfast, I had a blueberry muffin and chocolate milk.

I'm letting my lab sleep on the couch next to me because I was tired of listening to him whine. Now he is snoring.

I'm supposed to be studying for a final on Monday and instead I am watching Project Runway.

That sounds healthy compared to my breakfasts lately.  Yesterday, a corn dog.  This morning, left over pasta.  In my defense, I was about to puke, and had to grab something quick.  

• image+adamwife+:

I'm assuming you've never had a three month old baby, because all three of mine would have slept through a movie like that easily without ever crying (and if they did for some reason, a simple pop on the boob would solve the problem). 

This movie wasn't rated R, it's PG-13.  This means that anyone can watch it, but it is recommended that children under the age of 13 need to have parental guidance.  It's legal for children to go to those movies.  Maybe you disagree with your child seeing them (as I do), but I certainly won't judge other parents for doing this every now and then, because I am pretty sure their children aren't staying up until midnight every night and going to the theater every week at midnight.  It's probably a special occasion. 

Plus, I'm sure there are things I do that those same parents would judge me for doing. 

If I saw someone doing this in a theater with kids who are QUIET and not making any noise, I'm not going to run up to them and tell them how they're awful parents. But I will think they are. It's the time and place that bothers me; maybe the parents decided it's an appropriate place for their kid to be. Midnight is not an appropriate time for a child to be at the movies. I'm not going to attack someone for it, but I do think they're making bad decisions. How hard would it be for the kid to wait until the morning?

My real issue with it is the noise. I've been to a few midnight premiers (not the batman movie, admittedly), and there are always kids and they are always loud and disruptive. Parents think they can bring these children to theaters to see these movies that are too complicated for them and then refuse to teach them how to behave in theaters by letting them yell things at the screen and then when someone does say something, they respond with "they're just kids!" Well, it's not an appropriate place for a kid to be and it's not an appropriate way to act.

So, I think it's irresponsible to bring kids to a theater that late, but my real problem is that they're so rarely well-behaved. And for the record, I just went to see Ted with DH and someone had a baby that cried for half the movie. I don't know how old it was, but it was ridiculous.

And yes, you can bring kids to the movies. You can also bring them to bars if they're with their parents. That doesn't mean it's a good place for them to be at midnight.

And to the other PP -- yes, I am glad the kids are safe.

• Judge away, then.  At least you own it. 

FWIW, it sounds like your beef is with the parenting style and not the fact that the children are there.  If the theater was full of children who were quiety watching in their seats it sounds like you wouldn't have as big of a problem.  Or maybe you still would because you believe your standards of appropriateness should apply to all people.

We all have different definitions of appropriate.  You know, I've heard people at church use the same argument against allowing children in services - "They are loud and disruptive.  They belong in children's church and it's inappropriate to make them sit through an adult service.  They make too much noise.  The sermon is too complicated for them.  They're ruining my worship."  You can't please everyone. 

• image+adamwife+:

Judge away, then.  At least you own it. 

FWIW, it sounds like your beef is with the parenting style and not the fact that the children are there.  If the theater was full of children who were quiety watching in their seats it sounds like you wouldn't have as big of a problem.  Or maybe you still would because you believe your standards of appropriateness should apply to all people.

We all have different definitions of appropriate.  You know, I've heard people at church use the same argument against allowing children in services - "They are loud and disruptive.  They belong in children's church and it's inappropriate to make them sit through an adult service.  They make too much noise.  The sermon is too complicated for them.  They're ruining my worship."  You can't please everyone. 

HAH, FWIW, I've said the same thing about church. My church has a room next to the altar with a giant glass window and it's soundproof so people can bring their kids in there and let them play while the adults watch the service through the window (it has speakers so they can hear, too). And I've never understood why people don't use it.

I guess I just don't want to deal with other people's kids being disruptive.

No, I wouldn't care if they were quiet. But I feel the same way about disruptive adults. /shrug

• imageMinipenguin:
    image+adamwife+:

Judge away, then.  At least you own it. 

HAH, FWIW, I've said the same thing about church. My church has a room next to the altar with a giant glass window and it's soundproof so people can bring their kids in there and let them play while the adults watch the service through the window (it has speakers so they can hear, too). And I've never understood why people don't use it.

I guess I just don't want to deal with other people's kids being disruptive.

No, I wouldn't care if they were quiet. But I feel the same way about disruptive adults. /shrug

I can see how people without children would be annoyed by children at church, but I don't know what they expect.  If you never allow your child to sit through the sermon and learn what is appropriate behavior, how will they learn it?  Crying or a tantrum is cause to be removed from the sanctuary, but children just being happy children.  Meh.  I'm glad my pastor makes it clear that he enjoys hearing the happy children during services. 

• How many spiderman movies do we REALLY need? I'm so over superhero movies (I am a total hypocrite, though, because I will be seeing the new batman movie.)

Sorry about this one:

I don't mind breastfeeding in public. It's awesome to feed your baby. It's not awesome to leave your boob hanging out. Maybe I'm ignorant since I'm not a mom yet, but is it that hard to put one of those blankets over you and your sweet baby? 

• imagemeggipi5:

I don't mind breastfeeding in public. It's awesome to feed your baby. It's not awesome to leave your boob hanging out. Maybe I'm ignorant since I'm not a mom yet, but is it that hard to put one of those blankets over you and your sweet baby? 

Yes sometimes it just is too hard to put a blanket over you and the baby. I was a very discrete while breastfeeding but there were time where people got a show. Baby's pull the blanket down, they overheat, the blanket falls down, they pop of the boob and start to look around and sometimes will just plain refuse to nurse if covered.   

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Mash67Mash67 member
    imageperplexed59:
    imagemeggipi5:

Yes sometimes it just is too hard to put a blanket over you and the baby. I was a very discrete while breastfeeding but there were time where people got a show. Baby's pull the blanket down, they overheat, the blanket falls down, they pop of the boob and start to look around and sometimes will just plain refuse to nurse if covered.   

My son hated to be covered up so to avoid a show I pumped and he took a bottle from day 4. I am very much pro breastfeeding in public but I too don't want to see your boobs. And I get that some babies wont take a bottle.. its a learned art to bf and bottle feed.
  • Mash67Mash67 member
    image+adamwife+:

Regardless if the kid loves bat man or not take him during the day. I don't condone my child seeing violence or weapons in movies so we avoid them till hes older. As for the infant... like I said midnight is a little extreme its not like the baby knows what is going on. Take the baby in the day. comparing Fire works and new years to a violent movie with weapons and killing is not a fair comparison , there are ratings for a reason. IMO
  • I posted earlier that I live only a couple of miles from the movie theater that the shooting happened in Colorado. I have a 17 year old step son and a 6 year old son that we have adopted from a family member.

I have to admit, that I let the 6 year old see The Avengers and Spiderman. I don't think there is another 6 year old boy that is a bigger fan of Spiderman than mine. We are planning on taking him to see Batman as well this weekend at THAT theater. I see nothing wrong with taking children to see super hero movies as that is who the target audience is.

Would I have taken my 6 year old to the Batman premier at Midnight? No, BUT that is the theater we would have gone to AND you never think that something so horrific could happen in such a family place like the movies. Did anyone go to the premier last night thinking a gunman would walk in and shoot up the place? Probably not one person thought that! So whether there was a 3 month old there, a 6 year old there, or a 99 year old there, no one should have to be scared for their lives at a movie theater. It is sad to think that we could have been a family at that theater seeing the Batman movie (although I prefer morning movies because they are cheaper!) and that this happened so close to home.

As I previously stated, my husband's 17 year old son did go out last night to the Batman premier with friends. That theater is the one that they always go to for movie night, however, by the grace of God, 1 of the 4 people that went brought up another theater even though the other 3 lived closer to the one that had the shooting.

Either way you slice the pie, no one should have died this morning watching a batman movie no matter what age, how late or what movie it was that was playing.

My prayers are with the victims and families and I thank God that our family was not put in harms way.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• I kicked my cat out of the room because the sound of him cleaning himself was really bothering me! He is scratching at the door, but I am not letting him back in I feel like such a bad fur-mom, but the lack of noise is awesome! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker
    image"">
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageperplexed59:
    imagemeggipi5:

A friend of mine posted on FB the other day that she couldn't eat her dinner because there was a woman breastfeeding her child (under a cover) three tables away.  REALLY?!?  She said that women shouldn't be able to breastfeed in restaurants because it was unsanitary.  I wanted to (virtually) smack her.  The scary thing was how many people agreed...

• imagePeekaRu:

I am glad the children are ok.

I totally agree, I mean really at freaking midnight & with a 6 yr old! I have taken my 4mo to a matinee (day date with DH) because he would literally sleep the entire film, but would never consider taking my kids to a late afternoon movie or midnight showing. But that's just my opinion.

• imagesmile55k:
    My flame-worthy confession: I ate 3 hot dogs and a cold turkey sandwich this week. I originally was very worried about all the "rules" about what you should and shouldn't eat, but now I'm just thinking its a bunch of BS. It's probably me being hormonal but all the dos and don'ts are making me mad!

I was driving around thinking of things I could not have - like a chef salad.  I did decide that a cobb salad would be okay as long as the turkey was off the bone and not processed deli meat.  I almost bought a pack of hot dogs because I am having a hard time with lunch. My pre-pregnancy lunch was one of my favorite meals that DH and I had on our honeymoon in Italy - a plate of salami, other meats, cheeses, and olives.  I've been adrift without this lunch. *sigh*  Maybe I'll bake a small turkey roast  because a turkey sandwich does sound good. 

The day the Bump died - Jasper is wise
  • This morning DH wanted me to quickly get ready for the day, I wasn't really feeling like moving fast, so I played sudoku & listened to my music for about 20 mins then started to get ready at my own pace.
  • imageDC2London:
    image+adamwife+:
    imagePeekaRu:

I used to take my oldest baby to the movies when he was that age.  I could nurse him and he would sleep through the entire movie.  Much easier than finding a sitter.  Then once they stop sleeping so much it becomes impossible to ever go to the movies.

Would I take my 6 yo to see Batman?  No.  But I also wouldn't let them watch Nickelodeon or Disney Channel.  We all have our own standards for what is acceptable for children.

My FFFC - I'm really glad DH has his concealed carry permit.  He takes his gun to places like the movies.  If a gunman starts shooting I feel better knowing that DH is there with me to protect me.  Today has inspired me to do what DH has wanted me to do for a while - get my own concealed carry permit.  I'm going to classes as soon as I have this baby.

This is exactly what I was afraid of.  So you're telling me when a terrorist comes walking into a dark movie theatre, fills it with tear gas and starts shooting, that your best plan of action is to start firing a gun, too?  No.  You will never convince me that that is a good idea.  

I'm not going to get on a gun-control soap box here, but this is one instance in which I don't think everyone else in the theatre pulling out their firearms would have helped the situation AT ALL. 

Thanks for saying it first. 
  • I get really annoyed when I read about people wanting to give their pets away because they have a baby now. I realize human beings come first, but most of the time I feel it's more of an issue of laziness on the owner's part rather than the animal being dangerous. It isn't that hard to keep the baby and animal separated if there really is a problem. People take their pets to the pound expecting them to find another home and they don't, they get euthanized.  

• imagetabby0521:

I have two.

I let my kids watch the Disney Channel every morning.

This

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagebirdiecat:
    imageDC2London:
    image+adamwife+:
    imagePeekaRu:

This is exactly what I was afraid of.  So you're telling me when a terrorist comes walking into a dark movie theatre, fills it with tear gas and starts shooting, that your best plan of action is to start firing a gun, too?  No.  You will never convince me that that is a good idea.  

I'm not going to get on a gun-control soap box here, but this is one instance in which I don't think everyone else in the theatre pulling out their firearms would have helped the situation AT ALL. 

Thanks for saying it first. 

Whether or not it would have helped this situation, we will never know.  All I'm saying is that I feel more comfortable knowing that my DH can defend our family.  That's fine that you're anti-guns, but they make me feel safer.  To each their own.  My point was that I'm glad DH carries one to places like this.

• Mash67Mash67 member
    imagebirdiecat:

I get really annoyed when I read about people wanting to give their pets away because they have a baby now. I realize human beings come first, but most of the time I feel it's more of an issue of laziness on the owner's part rather than the animal being dangerous. It isn't that hard to keep the baby and animal separated if there really is a problem. People take their pets to the pound expecting them to find another home and they don't, they get euthanized.  

This!! When I was maybe 7 my best friends mom became pregnant and they gave up their cats. The only answer I could get as to why was due to the cats suffocating their new baby. I was so bothered by it and at 7 I knew how wrong it was! This still drives me crazy!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"