March 2013 Moms

Don't want to tell my boss, but have to sign a contract...

So I know there's been about a million conversations lately about when to tell people, but I'm really in a pickle with this one! I'm a speech therapist and I contract with the schools, and my contract for next school year is due next Friday! I'm only 5 weeks along and my boss is about the last person I want sharing her awkward half sincere condolences if something happens to this baby. I DON'T want to tell her yet...would it be dishonest to sign the contract and then tell her in a few weeks? Surely it's possible to not know you're pregnant at 6 weeks, right?
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Don't want to tell my boss, but have to sign a contract...

• mab87mab87 member
    My friend didn't know that she was pregnant until almost 8 weeks along. Would the contract put you in a bad spot around the time you are due? Are their other speech therapist that will be able to take you stop when you are on maturnity leave? GL with your decision!

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • mab87mab87 member
    I meant spot not stop*

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Turn it in ASAP.  No need to wait until the due date.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • don't say anything and sign the contract - it's not like they can punish you or let you go for being pregnant (against the law). there is no way i would tell work so soon - fake ignorance if anyone ever asks, with my first daughter i didn't know i was pregnant until i was between 6 and 7 weeks so it is totally plausible :)
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • imagebetheny:
    don't say anything and sign the contract - it's not like they can punish you or let you go for being pregnant (against the law). there is no way i would tell work so soon - fake ignorance if anyone ever asks, with my first daughter i didn't know i was pregnant until i was between 6 and 7 weeks so it is totally plausible :)

This exactly!

*** aka: andreahshields ***

*** July Siggy Challenge - Cake Wrecks ***

BFP#1 3/8/12; diagnosed w/ Anencephaly at 12w6d; D&C 5/9/12
    BFP#2 7/18/12; A/S 10/26/12 It's a Girl! EDD 3/29/13
    Phoebe Jordan Born 3/20/13

imageimage
  • I am a teacher and I signed a contract for next school year.  Legally, they can't do anything to you for being pregnant or taking a maternity leave.
  • arumpharumph member
    I am also a teacher and I signed my contract with out saying anything. Do not worry about it!! You have much more important things to worry about and the law is on your side!
  • Thanks guys, I feel a lot better knowing there are other people working in schools who aren't going to say anything! I actually looked into maternity laws by state when considering this and know it's against the law to fire me, but am more worried that I'll put them in a bind when I leave three months before school ends
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I don't see why this is an issue...you can take maternity leave right?

My little man at 0-1-2
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin me baby!
    BabyFruit Ticker http://mamasaywhat.com/

• imagewatermellens:
    I don't see why this is an issue...you can take maternity leave right?

Yeah, actually the biggest issue is that they pay me the same amount year round based on my number of contracted days. So if I get paid the full amount for too many months and then cut my contracted days short, I will end up owing them money at the end of the school year.  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I am also a teacher and signed my contract already. As PP's have said...it is totally plausible to not know you are pregnant so early on. Also, it is illegal to fire someone based upon pregnancy.

ETA: Missed a word!

• imageMindish:

imagewatermellens:
    I don't see why this is an issue...you can take maternity leave right?

Yeah, actually the biggest issue is that they pay me the same amount year round based on my number of contracted days. So if I get paid the full amount for too many months and then cut my contracted days short, I will end up owing them money at the end of the school year.  

Just do the math, open up a separate bank account and set aside whatever you will owe right when you get paid.  Act like you never received the extra money...

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"