February 2013 Moms

Fear our baby will be gigantic

So my husband and I are big people, tall and strong. My hubs is 6'3 and 250ish. I'm 5'11" and 190ish. I'm afraid our kid is going to be huge and I won't be able to give birth vaginally like I want to. Every child born in both my husband's family and mine were long and over 9 lbs when born. I should mention my husband's head is bigger than average too. Our baby is measuring normal as of my 8 week U/S but I'm afraid the bigger baby gets the more my fears will be realized. Is this a dumb thing to worry about?? Anyone else have similar concerns or experiences with large babies?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Fear our baby will be gigantic

• My husband was born at 11 lbs!  I thought for sure our LO 1 was going to be gigantic!

She was 8lb 14oz, 22 inches long.  She wasn't small but not huge!  I gained 35 lbs with her. 

I don't think your size automatically tells you that you are going to have a big baby but if you are worried talk to your Dr./midwife and they can reassure you at the end with a US.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • not with me, but I know SIL has a similar fear.  She has diabetes which can make larger babies, and her DH was over 10 lbs at birth with a large head...and she is only 5'2"...

Jessica Simpson had a large baby and she is quite small right? ;)

• Loading the player...
  • I'm 5'4" average 140, my first baby (DS) was born 9.2lbs, I delivered him vaginally and had no complications just a little tearing (which is not uncommon). I wouldn't stress out too much so early, your baby may be an average sized infant.

• I do not have experience myself, but I have a friend who is super petite and her husband is a large man. They are estimating her baby to be well over 9lbs (due any day) and they are going to let her try vaginally. They monitor and if they do not see the baby decending properly they will take other measures, usually vaccum, forceps, or c-section. She is nervous but our bodies can do amazing things and birth is the most amazing. I would't worry at this point it is way to early. I still remember them telling me that my DS's head was "larger than average at 35w5d, I delivered him 2 days later. I think my body went into labor out of fear of his large head! I delivered him vaginally and only pushed for 15 minutes to my surprise.
  • Oh I'm sure you'll be able to do it!

My sister is short and like a size 2,  her two sons were born weighing well over 9lbs and their heads were over two inches rounder then her daughter's head. She delivered them vaginally just fine!

Your body was built for this and can do things you can't imagine even possible! 

ETA: It's kinda crazy too but even though her two boys were huge babies with huge heads they came out so much easier then her daughter who was only 7lbs and had a tinier head. Those big boys shot out like watermelon seeds!

• I have known women way smaller than you give birth to 10 lb babies no problem. I think the whole "The baby was too big for you" is just an easy way for Dr's to give c-sections. My midwife told me our bodies are smart, they grow babies we can handle. I totally agree with that! Granted situaiotns arise, but for the most part, I don't think women give their bodies enough credit for what they are capable of doing.

DH and I married 3/15/12 Baby #1 EDD 02/21/2013 BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Your body was designed to birth babies. You aren't going to grow a 20 lb baby. You're taller, so your body can handle a bigger baby. Don't buy into the big baby fears that lead so many women to elective c-sections. You can do this! You were made for it!
  • ckalm5ckalm5 member
    I have a fear of this everytime. My husband is 6'4" and about 210. I am 5'1" and about 105. At three weeks early my husband was 7lb 1oz. Luckily so far none of ours have been huge.. 7lbs, 6lbs, and 6lb 9oz.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• I don't think you should worry just yet.  I am 5 feet, 100 lbs and I had a 8 lb 6 oz baby vaginally and with no medication. When I finally stood up after he was born, the nurses were floored at how small I was and how big the baby was "for me." So I don't think your size has a lot to do with how big your baby will be. I think the size of your baby is related to how much weight you gain during your pregnancy and you can pretty much control that.  I know lots of women who are much bigger than me who had smaller full-term babies. Also, I'm not sure how you plan to labor and birth, but if there is a concern with a large baby, there are positions other than pushing on your back that would help get a larger baby out easier (maybe squatting or hands and knees)  Gravity helps get a baby out.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
  • I am tall too 5'10 and my husband is 6'4.  OUr first baby was 8 pounds and 12 ounces and I had her vaginally. I don't think you need to worry about it yet.  I think most babies are proportionately the right size for their momma to push out, unless  they are turned the wrong way. You will be fine!!

BabyFetus Ticker
  • imageemmyann52:

I don't think your size automatically tells you that you are going to have a big baby but if you are worried talk to your Dr./midwife and they can reassure you at the end with a US.

This!  My DH is 5'11" and 250 and he was 6 lbs when he was born (3 weeks early). I was 6 lbs 14 oz and I was almost a week late.  I'm 5'4, average 145.

Our dd was 7 lbs 4 oz & 18.5 inches when she was born - a peanut, yes, but she weighed more than us.  It can be completely different for everyone, so don't worry until you have to.  At that point, though, it's likely your doctor will have helped you figure out the best route.

• My grandma is 5 foot nothing and teeny tiny.  She gave birth to several 10 pounders, so I always say that if she can do it I can.

I've had two 7 lb. 10 oz. babies and one that was 8 lb. 11 oz.  The one that was almost 9 pounds was the easiest birth.  He just slid out while the other two took hours of pushing.  In my experience size isn't the issue, it's presentation and head shape that are a problem.

Don't worry.  If you're a larger-framed woman your body will be able to handle a larger baby.  You'll be fine.

• image+adamwife+:

The one that was almost 9 pounds was the easiest birth.  He just slid out while the other two took hours of pushing.  In my experience size isn't the issue, it's presentation and head shape that are a problem.

Sorry - that just made me LOL!  And don't go giving me false hope of an easy birth with a slide-out kiddo! Wink

• Just a lurker from the Feb 2012 board trying to remember what life was like last year at this time...

ANYWAY..

My husband is 6'5 and I was concerned about the same thing. I actually talked to my OBGYN about it. He said that the baby's size has very little to do with the father/father's birth weight. It typically comes from the mother's side. If you were a big baby, chances are you will have a big baby. If you were small -- same idea :)

• A dear friend of mine is 5'2'' and a size 2. She's had 4 huge babies with no problems. I think her smallest was her first son who was over 8lbs at birth. Her biggest was close to 10lbs. You will be fine. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"