November 2011 Moms

I sort of feel like ranting a little.

Seriously people.  I get it.  For FTM especially, BLW can seem pretty crazy.  I've been there.  We did the whole puree thing with DS and I thought all the people giving sandwiches to their 8 month olds were insane.  Can we at least be respectful and not make fun?

~Working Mom~Breastfeeding Mom~Cloth Diapering Mom~BLW Mom~

Blog - No Longer on the DL ~ The Man Cave
Shawn and Larissa
LO #1 - Took 2 years and 2 IVFs ~ DX - severe MFI mild PCOS homozygous MTHFR (a1298c)
LO #2 - TTC 7 months, surprise spontaneous BFP!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: I sort of feel like ranting a little.

• To be totally honest, one of the reasons I chose not to do BLW was that we got the side eye from family when we did. They were totally freaked by the choice to give her slices of avocado at six months. What's funny to me, is that my mom told me that my brothers and I were eating finger foods by six months, but it seemed different to her because we had been eating cereal and baby food for 2+ months already at that point (since people used to start solids so much earlier.)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagesmilelari:
    Seriously people.  I get it.  For FTM especially, BLW can seem pretty crazy.  I've been there.  We did the whole puree thing with DS and I thought all the people giving sandwiches to their 8 month olds were insane.  Can we at least be respectful and not make fun?

Yes Exactly. You would think a healthy, all natural turkey sandwich was equivalent to LO downing greasy fries and a hamburger from MCD's

• Loading the player...
  • Oh and I do agree with OP. We did purees for about a month. Our PEDI was the one who encouraged BLW! He said it was no wonder why LO seemed hungry and we were in the clear to give LO most table foods.

I can understand that there is certain fear/speculation surrounding BLW. I get it because I think all moms, whether BLW or not, have been there. We don't want LO to choke and we don't want anything to happen. In the end, we have to do what we feel is best for LO. I think introducing him to these foods is what's best so that he learns to eat with us. Some may think I'm crazy. That's fine but I won't be judging anyone on their decision for their child (unless, obviously, it's an abusive situation which is completely different) 

• I've never gotten any negative comments IRL regarding BLW either. Most older Moms think it's a great idea. I could really care less if someone doesn't agree with my parenting choices. We do what works best for our family.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Well said, OP. The biggest thing I've learned in the past 8+ months is that as a parent, you have to do what works best for your family, so I don't understand where the judgement comes from. We've all probably done something that someone else wouldn't (I've made choices that even I didn't think I would make)! We do kind of "Modified" BLW that was recommended to us - A self feeds, but we started with really soft pieces of food, and the textures are getting more difficult as her skills develop. We HAVE gotten comments in public - some lady decided to make a spectacle of us in a restaurant when she gagged on something. It was incredibly embarrassing and totally uncalled for. 
  • I think the respect needs to go both ways. I see plenty of mean comments about BLW, but on the other hand, I have seen a lot of disparaging remarks about purees coming from the BLW camp.  I think as long as people are making the feeding decision that works best for their baby/family then there is no need for all the outside judgement.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I was a little angry w some of the comments people have made recently and wanted to post about it as well. But I don't like to get people angry around here, ruthless!! 

I don't do BLW but I also don't comment or judge bc I don't know about it. I don't know when people around here became so judgemental and mean sometimes. So thanks for posting this.  

• I hope you didn't take my questions about the sandwich as making fun. It does seem like a whole different world from what I do but to each their own. I was just curious how it works.
  • Nah, sap.  You seemed genuinely curious.  It was more the comments about thinking that talking calmly will prevent choking.  Obviously the OP knew that calm words wouldn't prevent choking. 

Shawn and Larissa
    LO #1 - Took 2 years and 2 IVFs ~ DX - severe MFI mild PCOS homozygous MTHFR (a1298c)
  • imagesmilelari:

Nah, sap.  You seemed genuinely curious.  It was more the comments about thinking that talking calmly will prevent choking.  Obviously the OP knew that calm words wouldn't prevent choking. 

Are you directing this at me? If so just say so. First, the OP's post was not "obvious" that calm words wouldnt prevent choking... Considering she said "He wasn't actively choking, but I think he was pretty close... If I think LO is going to choke, I generally talk to him calmly til he's done chewing." sorry but that sounds to me that she thinks being calm will prevent choking. Common sense says to me that maybe you should not allow the baby to stuff it's mouth full? If LO is red faced, take the other food away so he can't over-stuff his mouth. Cut the food smaller. Yes, stay calm during gagging or choking...but don't use it as a mechanism against choking.

Second, I usually give people the benefit of the doubt, but considering the OP also posted about her child playing with an unsecured dresser and that she was just "thinking" about baby proofing, YES I side-eyed her original comments. But she explained it so I got what she meant. No one is making fun of BLW. Calling out seemingly questionable parenting decisions? Yes. Making fun? No.

• imagesccalla:
    I think the respect needs to go both ways. I see plenty of mean comments about BLW, but on the other hand, I have seen a lot of disparaging remarks about purees coming from the BLW camp.  I think as long as people are making the feeding decision that works best for their baby/family then there is no need for all the outside judgement.

Like! 

• Honestly, the whole thread was starting to bother me and it's probably because it's not the only thread I've seen recently that has taken on an anti-BLW tone.  Heck, I don't even know for sure that the OP is doing BLW.  Lots of babies at this age are doing "grown up food", BLW or not.

There are lots of ways to do solids.  Purees are fine.  BLW is fine.  Pick what you like.  Lots of people think finger foods at 6 months is dangerous.  Well, depending on what you read, lots of people think that waiting too long to introduce finger foods is more dangerous than doing it now.  Go with what feels right to you.

I just really felt like the whole tone of the thread had become very anti-BLW with lots of "THAT'S why I don't do BLW" which sounds very much like a condescending "I told you so".  So, I wasn't calling anyone out specifically.  The whole tone of the thread was just going down the shitter.

FWIW, I really don't have a problem with purees and even give advice to puree feeders occasionally.  Obviously my preference is BLW, otherwise we wouldn't be doing it, but that's all it is.  My preference.

Shawn and Larissa
  • imagesmilelari:
    Honestly, the whole thread was starting to bother me and it's probably because it's not the only thread I've seen recently that has taken on an anti-BLW tone.  Heck, I don't even know for sure that the OP is doing BLW.  Lots of babies at this age are doing "grown up food", BLW or not.

There are lots of ways to do solids.  Purees are fine.  BLW is fine.  Pick what you like.  Lots of people think finger foods at 6 months is dangerous.  Well, depending on what you read, lots of people think that waiting too long to introduce finger foods is more dangerous than doing it now.  Go with what feels right to you.

I just really felt like the whole tone of the thread had become very anti-BLW with lots of "THAT'S why I don't do BLW" which sounds very much like a condescending "I told you so".  So, I wasn't calling anyone out specifically.  The whole tone of the thread was just going down the shitter.

FWIW, I really don't have a problem with purees and even give advice to puree feeders occasionally.  Obviously my preference is BLW, otherwise we wouldn't be doing it, but that's all it is.  My preference.

If I can be honest, and I don't mean this with snark at all, I think you're being too defensive - just like the puree moms may be getting too defensive against some of what you'd said. I think it was a pretty accurate assumption to make that the OP was BLW considering she was giving LO sandwiches and apples. But no one's problem was with the BLW, it was with the choking.

Personally, I don't have an opinion on either because I don't see the big rush to worry about it when LO's main source of nutrition is formula/BM. Sometimes we do purees. Sometimes I'll cut up spaghetti or bits of watermelon. Sometimes he doesn't get solids period.  When I say "that's why I don't BLW", I genuinely mean it as just that. That's why me, myself and I don't do it - if I were judging I'd say "that's why people shouldn't BLW."

I think it's great to do BLW, and if I was confident in my ability to not stress about the gagging and choking, I'd do it too. I hate buying and wasting purees... but I get anxiety about the big food. What I do have a problem with is a parent putting their child in a potentially dangerous situation....and that was the intent of calling out the choking in that thread.

• imagelittlewinnie15:
    imagesmilelari:

Nah, sap.  You seemed genuinely curious.  It was more the comments about thinking that talking calmly will prevent choking.  Obviously the OP knew that calm words wouldn't prevent choking. 

considering the OP also posted about her child playing with an unsecured dresser and that she was just "thinking" about baby proofing,

I know of a few moms who have never babyproofed their house. Not everyone's decision, and I certainly plan to. However, my LO is never allowed anywhere near this play area unless I am watching him. I could spend money I don't have babyproofing my entire home, but that would be stupid considering I am sitting there watching LO. If I need to leave the room, I put LO in a secure area where he can't pull the dresser on him. Now, that being said, I did look for something today to babyproof furniture but Walmart doesn't carry it in store. So question my parenting skills all you like, but I am not just letting LO play with the dresser. Does he try? Yup! But I am right there to remind him that's a "no-no" and give him something else to do

• imagemama&baby:
    imagelittlewinnie15:
    imagesmilelari:

considering the OP also posted about her child playing with an unsecured dresser and that she was just "thinking" about baby proofing,

I know of a few moms who have never babyproofed their house. Not everyone's decision, and I certainly plan to. However, my LO is never allowed anywhere near this play area unless I am watching him. I could spend money I don't have babyproofing my entire home, but that would be stupid considering I am sitting there watching LO. If I need to leave the room, I put LO in a secure area where he can't pull the dresser on him. Now, that being said, I did look for something today to babyproof furniture but Walmart doesn't carry it in store. So question my parenting skills all you like, but I am not just letting LO play with the dresser. Does he try? Yup! But I am right there to remind him that's a "no-no" and give him something else to do

I don't think I can touch this without sounding really mean, so I will just say good luck with your non-babyproofed house. Really hope that decision doesn't come back to haunt you. 

• imagelittlewinnie15:
    imagesmilelari:
    Honestly, the whole thread was starting to bother me and it's probably because it's not the only thread I've seen recently that has taken on an anti-BLW tone.  Heck, I don't even know for sure that the OP is doing BLW.  Lots of babies at this age are doing "grown up food", BLW or not.

If I can be honest, and I don't mean this with snark at all, I think you're being too defensive - just like the puree moms may be getting too defensive against some of what you'd said. I think it was a pretty accurate assumption to make that the OP was BLW considering she was giving LO sandwiches and apples. But no one's problem was with the BLW, it was with the choking.

Personally, I don't have an opinion on either because I don't see the big rush to worry about it when LO's main source of nutrition is formula/BM. Sometimes we do purees. Sometimes I'll cut up spaghetti or bits of watermelon. Sometimes he doesn't get solids period.  When I say "that's why I don't BLW", I genuinely mean it as just that. That's why me, myself and I don't do it - if I were judging I'd say "that's why people shouldn't BLW."

I think it's great to do BLW, and if I was confident in my ability to not stress about the gagging and choking, I'd do it too. I hate buying and wasting purees... but I get anxiety about the big food. What I do have a problem with is a parent putting their child in a potentially dangerous situation....and that was the intent of calling out the choking in that thread.

I think the bolded has been an issue a lot recently. We all do things our own way, and we all get a little judgy, and we all feel the need to defend our choices sometimes. But I agree with Smilelari, there's no need to make fun.

Sap, thanks for asking all the questions about the sandwiches, I was about to do the same thing because I feel LO is starting to dislike purees and I need to get a little more used to giving her a wider variety of finger foods.

• I guess I am just not seeing where people were making fun.
  • imagelittlewinnie15:
    imagemama&baby:
    imagelittlewinnie15:
    imagesmilelari:

I don't think I can touch this without sounding really mean, so I will just say good luck with your non-babyproofed house. Really hope that decision doesn't come back to haunt you. 

Yeah it won't come back to haunt me because if you read my post, after I say I know of moms who don't babyproof, I say that I certainly plan to. Not that I owe anyone an explanation, but if you have seen my posts you know that both DH and I are out of work right now, so I'm not about to drop $300+ on babyproofing my home while I am here watching him.  And judging by the tone of your post, it almost seems that you are implying the opposite. Nice

• imagelittlewinnie15:
    I guess I am just not seeing where people were making fun.

Obviously I took it the wrong way.  It was so obvious to me that she didn't think that talking calmly to her baby would make him stop choking that all of the comments to that effect sounded sarcastic to me.  And then as the thread continued, it got more and more anti-BLW.  Sigh.  12 hours later and I'm over it.

Shawn and Larissa
  • imagemama&baby:
    imagelittlewinnie15:
    imagemama&baby:
    imagelittlewinnie15:
    imagesmilelari:

Yeah it won't come back to haunt me because if you read my post, after I say I know of moms who don't babyproof, I say that I certainly plan to. Not that I owe anyone an explanation, but if you have seen my posts you know that both DH and I are out of work right now, so I'm not about to drop $300+ on babyproofing my home while I am here watching him.  And judging by the tone of your post, it almost seems that you are implying the opposite. Nice

I must have misread then, because I thought your references to some people not baby proofing, and then saying you can't afford to, meant that you were not and had not baby proofed. Still, wall mounts cost $3.87 on amazon. And if my child were playing with a rickety bureau, I'd find a way to buy a $3.87 strap to make sure it doesn't fall on him. It doesn't matter that you're home watching him, it takes 2 seconds for an accident to happen. But if that's a chance you're willing to take, that's your decision.

And I do know your posts enough to know that you're TFAS. Which is why I mentioned I'd keep my mouth shut with my opinion. But your insistence on this topic is making it harder and harder.

• imagelittlewinnie15:
    imagemama&baby:
    imagelittlewinnie15:
    imagemama&baby:
    imagelittlewinnie15:
    imagesmilelari:

I must have misread then, because I thought your references to some people not baby proofing, and then saying you can't afford to, meant that you were not and had not baby proofed. Still, wall mounts cost $3.87 on amazon. And if my child were playing with a rickety bureau, I'd find a way to buy a $3.87 strap to make sure it doesn't fall on him. It doesn't matter that you're home watching him, it takes 2 seconds for an accident to happen. But if that's a chance you're willing to take, that's your decision.

And I do know your posts enough to know that you're TFAS. Which is why I mentioned I'd keep my mouth shut with my opinion. But your insistence on this topic is making it harder and harder.

If you would read my posts, I said I went to Walmart and couldn't find one in store. As in, I made an effort and am going to buy one. Of course I am willing to spend $3 on something that will make sure my child is safe. Annnddd I'm keeping my mouth shut now.

• imagemama&baby:
    imagelittlewinnie15:
    imagemama&baby:
    imagelittlewinnie15:
    imagemama&baby:
    imagelittlewinnie15:
    imagesmilelari:

If you would read my posts, I said I went to Walmart and couldn't find one in store. As in, I made an effort and am going to buy one. Of course I am willing to spend $3 on something that will make sure my child is safe. Annnddd I'm keeping my mouth shut now.

Well then I give you props for making the effort. The last I saw of the post you only said you'd think about getting one, and I didn't go back to see your update. Sorry, I don't have time to keep up on your every post - I'll try harder. They are pretty cheap on Amazon. One was even 86 cents plus shipping.

ETA: I see your comment about walmart was here. I was bumping from my phone, sorry I didn't see it. Again, I'll try harder. ;)

• I got my ass on amazon and ordered the damn things ;-)

I even splurged and got the $3 ones haha

• imagelovesjm:
    Well said, OP. The biggest thing I've learned in the past 8+ months is that as a parent, you have to do what works best for your family, so I don't understand where the judgement comes from. We've all probably done something that someone else wouldn't (I've made choices that even I didn't think I would make)!  

Yes

• imagelittlewinnie15:
    imagemama&baby:
    imagelittlewinnie15:
    imagemama&baby:
    imagelittlewinnie15:
    imagemama&baby:
    imagelittlewinnie15:
    imagesmilelari:

Well then I give you props for making the effort. The last I saw of the post you only said you'd think about getting one, and I didn't go back to see your update. Sorry, I don't have time to keep up on your every post - I'll try harder. They are pretty cheap on Amazon. One was even 86 cents plus shipping.

ETA: I see your comment about walmart was here. I was bumping from my phone, sorry I didn't see it. Again, I'll try harder. ;)

holy intense.  i can't believe I just sat there and read all that!  lol what does TFAS mean?

• imagemama&baby:

Oh and I do agree with OP. We did purees for about a month. Our PEDI was the one who encouraged BLW! He said it was no wonder why LO seemed hungry and we were in the clear to give LO most table foods.

I can understand that there is certain fear/speculation surrounding BLW. I get it because I think all moms, whether BLW or not, have been there. We don't want LO to choke and we don't want anything to happen. In the end, we have to do what we feel is best for LO. I think introducing him to these foods is what's best so that he learns to eat with us. Some may think I'm crazy. That's fine but I won't be judging anyone on their decision for their child (unless, obviously, it's an abusive situation which is completely different) 

I wish our Pedi said this!! Our's looked at me like I had 6 heads when I brought it up, that's the only reason I got scared and backed out of doing it. I really wish we had, I've started giving her more and more finger foods or bits of what we're eating... but I'm scared to go full fledged table meals with her because I don't have a support to talk to about it, not the pediatrician, not family and for god sakes if DD gums off a chunk of her arrow root cookie that's even remotely big FI has a panic attack! 

Proud babywearing, breastfeeding, vaccinating SAHM of 2U2!
    imageLilypie - (qCSN)Lilypie - (5rzN)imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• I know nobody likes my opinion on the feeding issue, but the thing I don't understand is that the World Health Organization and the mayoclinic both say babies 8-10 months can begin "table foods" and by 12 months can begin eating the same foods as the rest of the family.  I think the term table food is too vague, but to me that would mean maybe plain cut up pasta noodles with no sauce, maybe mashed potatoes, maybe soft but whole peas or cut up soft cooked carrots, etc.  That is pretty much what I follow. I gave my DD a baby cheese puff and she loved it and did fine.  I tried to give her a baby banana puff the size of a cheerio, and she couldn't handle it. 

I think it's hard to not be judgmental for us parents because it is natural to feel defensive if someone else does something different and then makes a comment like "well you just don't know better".   The thing is I don't think you will meet one parent out there with grown children that doesn't say "I wish I had done this differently".  

• jb2rnjb2rn member

Noone has said anything negative to me. I would guess my 68yo MIL cringes a bit when I sent her a picture of him eating Mangos or Chicken, but whatever. She also thought he would sleep better if I gave him rice cereal.

Most of the Moms in my little Moms group do BLW as well.

b/w=FSH 15.6, AMH 0.4 surprise natural BFP on 3/12/11
    DS born via unplanned C-section at 40w6d

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"