November 2011 Moms
Options

**Unpopular Opinions***

It's Thursday and you have an opinion that everyone will disagree with.  Let's hear it!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: **Unpopular Opinions***

• Options
    My UO is that it's Wednesday not Thursday.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Docking dog's tails, clipping ears and removing their dewclaws are abuse.  There is no way you can justify it.

If you are an evolutionist, then you can argue that they evolved to have it.

If you are a creationist, then you can argue God created them with it.

It should be illegal to say "Oh look, that dog is perfect in every way, now lets chop off his tail, pull some nails and shape his ears funny".

• Loading the player...
  • Options

imageAdanessa:

This. I was all sad for a second that I missed HDBD. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    imageSparklyunicornstarfish:

Docking dog's tails, clipping ears and removing their dewclaws are abuse.  There is no way you can justify it.

It should be illegal to say "Oh look, that dog is perfect in every way, now lets chop off his tail, pull some nails and shape his ears funny".

Maybe you're going this direction on purpose, but the same argument could be made about circumcision 

~Working Mom~Breastfeeding Mom~Cloth Diapering Mom~BLW Mom~

Blog - No Longer on the DL ~ The Man Cave
    Shawn and Larissa
    LO #1 - Took 2 years and 2 IVFs ~ DX - severe MFI mild PCOS homozygous MTHFR (a1298c)
    LO #2 - TTC 7 months, surprise spontaneous BFP!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageAdanessa:

You made me ink myself! Haha

• Options
    Can we make it Thursday? I think that would make me happy

Shawn and Larissa
    LO #1 - Took 2 years and 2 IVFs ~ DX - severe MFI mild PCOS homozygous MTHFR (a1298c)
  • Options

I don't think there are rules as to what days we can post certain posts.

Mine:

Whenever I hear people rant and rave about Obama without having a specific reason as to why they don't like him, I immediately think they are racist.

• Options

imageAdanessa:

Yes it is.  I am obviously so sleep deprived I don't know what day it is.

• Options
    imagedpeugh85:

Mine:

Whenever I hear people rant and rave about Obama without having a specific reason as to why they don't like him, I immediately think they are racist.

I don't like Obama but I also voted for him.  What does that make me?  Probably confused.  But then again, I have specific reasons 

Shawn and Larissa
  • Options
    imagesmilelari:

Maybe you're going this direction on purpose, but the same argument could be made about circumcision 

I wasn't heading in the circumcision direction, I think that horse has been beaten to death, resurrected and beaten again. 

I saw puppies for sale with the ad saying "tails docked, dew claws removed and ready to go!" and it just got me upset.

• Options
    imagesmilelari:

I wasn't heading in the circumcision direction, I think that horse has been beaten to death, resurrected and beaten again. 

I saw puppies for sale with the ad saying "tails docked, dew claws removed and ready to go!" and it just got me upset.

I understand what you mean, and for the most part I agree with you. However, the only good point that I know of as a reason to remove dew claws, is that more often than not, they get caught on on something and ripped out. But we also don't remove them from cats....

• Options
    imagedpeugh85:

Mine:

Your judgement is very lop-sided. Why would you even jump to that conclusion if you don't have proof that's why the person doesn't like him? You're just adding fuel to the racist fire! I don't like Obama because I don't agree with this views for our government.

• Options
    I agree with the tails and ears part but as for the dew claws, if you go in the woods a lot or if you're going anywhere where the dog could run through crasses taller than it's feet (like a meadow or anything) it's dewclaws can get caught and ripped, then get infected, and it happens often. When i got one of my dogs spayed the vet asked if I wanted her dewclaws removed, I said no because we rarely go to the woods with them, but with another dog I said yes, to do them, because they had gotten caught on blankets and stuff a lot and had ripped a couple of times.
  • Options
    imageRedCamaro:
    imagedpeugh85:

Mine:

Your judgement is very lop-sided. Why would you even jump to that conclusion if you don't have proof that's why the person doesn't like him? You're just adding fuel to the racist fire! I don't like Obama because I don't agree with this views for our government.

I agree with Red Camaro. I don't like Obama, I don't think he did very much in office, except pile on more debt, I think people who think that since I don't like him I must be racist only like him to prove how un-racist they are.

• Options

imageLiz1485:
    I agree with the tails and ears part but as for the dew claws, if you go in the woods a lot or if you're going anywhere where the dog could run through crasses taller than it's feet (like a meadow or anything) it's dewclaws can get caught and ripped, then get infected, and it happens often. When i got one of my dogs spayed the vet asked if I wanted her dewclaws removed, I said no because we rarely go to the woods with them, but with another dog I said yes, to do them, because they had gotten caught on blankets and stuff a lot and had ripped a couple of times.

I have had dogs all my life, with dew claws, and have never had any issues with it.  I have also never heard of grass ripping a nail off.  We just clip the dewclaws with their toenails and that way it doesn't get caught on things.

• Options
    imageLiz1485:
    imageRedCamaro:
    imagedpeugh85:

Mine:

I agree with Red Camaro. I don't like Obama, I don't think he did very much in office, except pile on more debt, I think people who think that since I don't like him I must be racist only like him to prove how un-racist they are.

Wonderful.  However, my OP said

But that's the beauty of UO.

• Options
    imageLiz1485:
    imageRedCamaro:
    imagedpeugh85:

Mine:

Both of you gave a reason as to why you don't like Obama.  Dpeugh said that if you DON'T give a reason she assumes racism.  So it seems that you got all defensive about nothing.

(Dpeugh, correct me if I'm wrong)

• Options

I get what you are saying and I even agree with it for the most part (except the dew claws, I have had a dog rip it getting stuck in a blanket) but to play th devils advocate.. What's the difference in getting a dog spayed or neutered? It's physically changing (for males, at least) and goes against nature? 

Now, don't get me Wrong, I think it's the most responsible thing a pet owner can (And should) do but I know people can claim there are benefits to tail docking, dew claw removal, etc.. Just like spaying or neutering. 

• Options
    imagelkm2006:

I get what you are saying and I even agree with it for the most part (except the dew claws, I have had a dog rip it getting stuck in a blanket) but to play th devils advocate.. What's the difference in getting a dog spayed or neutered? It's physically changing (for males, at least) and goes against nature? 

Now, don't get me Wrong, I think it's the most responsible thing a pet owner can (And should) do but I know people can claim there are benefits to tail docking, dew claw removal, etc.. Just like spaying or neutering. 

Spaying and neutering is, like you said, a responsible thing to do, otherwise lots more pets would be euthanised.  I think that balances out, rather fix the dog than kill other dogs eventually.

99% of the reasons I have heard for docking tails, clipping ears etc. are for aesthetic reasons.  IMHO that is not good enough to randomly go cut off puppy tails.

• Options

Both of you gave a reason as to why you don't like Obama.  Dpeugh said that if you DON'T give a reason she assumes racism.  So it seems that you got all defensive about nothing.

jinx!  And yes, you're correct.

• Options

imageLiz1485:
    I think people who think that since I don't like him I must be racist only like him to prove how un-racist they are.

This.  

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imageLiz1485:
    imageRedCamaro:
    imagedpeugh85:

Mine:

I know her feelings about that don't apply to me. I'm just saying that when someone tells you they don't like someone else without saying why, there's no reason to jump on the "you must be a racist" band wagon. I'm not getting defensive because I think her comment applies to me. I was only adding that I have a reason to not like Obama. I also have a reason as to why I don't like my neighbors and it has nothing to do with their ethnicity. If you told me you didn't like peas, I wouldn't assume you didn't like them because they were green.

• Options

imagedpeugh85:

Wonderful.  However, my OP said

Whenever I hear people rant and rave about Obama without having a specific reason as to why they don't like himI immediately think they are racist.

But that's the beauty of UO.

Yup, I read your statement. But I was having a hard time seeing how you justified jumping to the racist label. And you're right, that is the beauty of UO. Wink

• Options
    I'm pretty sure that Gerber is a pretty big contributor to the obesity epidemic with their overly processed, pre-packaged baby foods filled with refined carbs, salt and sugar.

Shawn and Larissa
  • Options

imagesmilelari:
    I'm pretty sure that Gerber is a pretty big contributor to the obesity epidemic with their overly processed, pre-packaged baby foods filled with refined carbs, salt and sugar.

Gerber grosses me out too. We use their formula though.. I feel kind of icky about it but I dont want to switch 8 months in. 

• Options

I hate when people blame all the countries problems on the President.  Our government is built with checks and balances for a reason.  Yes, the party system kinda destroyed that, but the President cannot be blamed for everything, a lot of other people have to agree with him to make it happen. 

I didn't even know dew claws were a common practice to remove until a few years ago when I saw it as a additional option when we got out Great Dane fixed.  I asked the vet and she advised against it, but that was because he has majorly deformed front legs, from the breeder he was rescued from.  I don't think I would ever opt to have them removed, but with him, we may have to if his legs get worse and it starts dragging on the floor all the time. 

BFP #1 August 2007, Lost Nov 2007, no heartbeat found at anatomy ultrasound at 19 wks
    BFP #2 March 2011, Baby Girl born November 2011!!!
  • Options

For the most part, I agree, but there are a FEW breeds out there who require tails to be docked strictly for health/safety reasons.

I only know this because I was looking into getting a Vizsla at one point. They are mainly used as hunting dogs, and the last 1/3 of their tail is docked because it is whip-like and often gets injured in the field or even just playing too hard. If it isn't docked early on, the dogs often never recover from injury sustained and the only repair available is amputation.

• Options

If you can't afford a baby I don't think you should be actively TTC. Yes, surprises happen and that's what assistance is for - but trying to get pregnant without a realistic means of supporting the child is wrong.

(and if you're pretending to not be TTC when you really are, that's even worse)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

imagesmilelari:

I wouldn't say gerber is a "big" contributor to obesity since kids don't eat it for very long. I don't know any 1 year olds who are obese...I think the big contributor is parents. Kids can't eat what the parents don't give them. Don't blame the food, blame the person feeding / eating it.

• Options
    Having a glass of wine at 2pm is ok. Right?! Housewives of... Do it right? So why can't I ? And no I'm not an alcoholic just enjoying summer break
  • Options

Morgan Freeman has a novel idea for the racism issue in America.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh8mUia75k8

• Options
    imageVieve831:

If you can't afford a baby I don't think you should be actively TTC. Yes, surprises happen and that's what assistance is for - but trying to get pregnant without a realistic means of supporting the child is wrong.

(and if you're pretending to not be TTC when you really are, that's even worse)

Yes

• Options
    imageLiz1485:

imagesmilelari:

I wouldn't say gerber is a "big" contributor to obesity since kids don't eat it for very long. I don't know any 1 year olds who are obese...I think the big contributor is parents. Kids can't eat what the parents don't give them. Don't blame the food, blame the person feeding / eating it.

What you feed your kid the first three years of life is very important, see quote below. 

"Early-life influences, beginning with the intrauterine environment and continuing through the first few years of life, also shape the trajectory of weight gain and body fatness throughout the life course" from https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/obesity-prevention-source/obesity-causes/prenatal-postnatal-obesity/index.html

Gerber (and other baby food makers) market refined carbs and sugars as okay baby food, and it shouldn't be.  There is a reason why their food (and 'yogurts') can sit on a shelf for ages and not be refridgerated.

• Options
    imageRedCamaro:

Morgan Freeman has a novel idea for the racism issue in America.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh8mUia75k8

Yes

• Options
    imageLiz1485:

imagesmilelari:

What you feed your kid the first three years of life is very important, see quote below. 

"Early-life influences, beginning with the intrauterine environment and continuing through the first few years of life, also shape the trajectory of weight gain and body fatness throughout the life course" from https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/obesity-prevention-source/obesity-causes/prenatal-postnatal-obesity/index.html

Gerber (and other baby food makers) market refined carbs and sugars as okay baby food, and it shouldn't be.  There is a reason why their food (and 'yogurts') can sit on a shelf for ages and not be refridgerated.

Yes

It may seem unimportant, but right now is when baby is establishing eating preferences and habits that will follow them for the rest of their life.

Shawn and Larissa
  • Options
    imageLiz1485:

imagesmilelari:

So my child will most likely be obese because I feed him Gerber baby food? How effing stupid!! Kids are obese because parents don't feed them healthy balanced meals and they don't play outside like they should. The foods you feed your LO with BLW are 100% healthy? Hmm. I think it's pretty narrow minded to say Gerber is the reason kids are fat. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imagebeedawn:
    imageLiz1485:

imagesmilelari:

So my child will most likely be obese because I feed him Gerber baby food? How effing stupid!! Kids are obese because parents don't feed them healthy balanced meals and they don't play outside like they should. The foods you feed your LO with BLW are 100% healthy? Hmm. I think it's pretty narrow minded to say Gerber is the reason kids are fat. 

You and I are saying the exact same thing.  Kids are obese because parents don't feed them healthy balanced meals.  Puffs, yogurt melts and those crazy high sodium pasta dinners are not a part of a healthy balanced meal and lots of people depend on these things as a pretty big part of their child's diet.  No, not everything my kid eats is healthy.  Heck, I posted a picture of her scarfing a cookie. That sort of thing is fine as a rarity.  But puffs every day?  Or several times a day?  Not good.  

Shawn and Larissa
  • Options
    imagesmilelari:
    imagebeedawn:
    imageLiz1485:

imagesmilelari:

You and I are saying the exact same thing.  Kids are obese because parents don't feed them healthy balanced meals.  Puffs, yogurt melts and those crazy high sodium pasta dinners are not a part of a healthy balanced meal and lots of people depend on these things as a pretty big part of their child's diet.  No, not everything my kid eats is healthy.  Heck, I posted a picture of her scarfing a cookie. That sort of thing is fine as a rarity.  But puffs every day?  Or several times a day?  Not good.  

McDonalds happy meals don't even compare to Gerber. I also don't think 10 puffs a day will cause obesity. That's a biiiig stretch. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imagebeedawn:
    imagesmilelari:
    imagebeedawn:
    imageLiz1485:

imagesmilelari:

McDonalds happy meals don't even compare to Gerber. I also don't think 10 puffs a day will cause obesity. That's a biiiig stretch. 

I don't think the puffs themselves cause obesity.  I think that the habits that are being established do 

Shawn and Larissa
  • Options
    imagebeedawn:
    imageLiz1485:

imagesmilelari:

1.  I didn't do the study.  It was an article on the Harvard website that had the info in it.  The point was that it does matter what you feed your kid, even this early in life.  Gerber also has food with loads of stuff that isn't good for kids.  How you feed your kid is up to you, and you are the judge as to what you give LO and how healthy it is.

2. The BLW food I give my kid might not be 100% healthy, but it doesn't contain added sugar, refined grains, white rice or white pasta.  It also doesn't contain added sodium or preservatives since I make DD everything fresh.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"