November 2011 Moms

Short feeding poll (not clicky)

1.  Are you doing baby led or going the parent led route?

2.  What did your LO eat yesterday?

1.  We are doing BLW

2.  Yesterday LO had four 5 oz bottles of breastmilk and nursed twice (definitely not slowing down on the liquid part of her diet!).  She also self fed oatmeal and oranges for breakfast and self fed pasta w/ marinara and kohlrabi for dinner

~Working Mom~Breastfeeding Mom~Cloth Diapering Mom~BLW Mom~

Blog - No Longer on the DL ~ The Man Cave
Shawn and Larissa
LO #1 - Took 2 years and 2 IVFs ~ DX - severe MFI mild PCOS homozygous MTHFR (a1298c)
LO #2 - TTC 7 months, surprise spontaneous BFP!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Short feeding poll (not clicky)

• 1. Are you doing baby led or going the parent led route? More parent led I guess. We have found that he responds best to a strict routine with his eating, so we do it more by time than anything else.

2. What did your LO eat yesterday? As usual, LO eats 6 ounces every 3 hours, so he is definitely not lacking in liquid nutrition (30 oz a day) . For breakfast he had a mum mum ( I had made him oatmeal as well but he with teething he's been picky, so that's all he got for breakfast). Lunch was some bits of chicken nuggets (he only ate a little bit, don't think he was fond of it) and cucumber slices (loved those). Dinner was the hotly debated sandwich and apple slices.

• 1. Parent led

2. Nursed morning and night, three 4 oz formula bottles, one four ounce BM bottle, oatmeal and peaches for breakfast (pur?e), chicken and rice soup at lunch, squash and green bean pur?e at dinner.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imagesmilelari:

1.  Are you doing baby led or going the parent led route? Combination, but mostly parent led

2.  What did your LO eat yesterday? 4 bottles, first three were 8 oz, last was 6 because it was right after dinner. She had applesauce and some blueberry puffs for breakfast, for dinner she had carrots and squash (thawed frozen homemade purees) 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • 1.  We are doing BLW.  I wasn't too sure of it at first, and started on purees, but DS was the one who decided he didn't want to do purees after having regular food.

2.  DS had five 6 oz bottles, banana bread and yogurt for breakfast, cheese cubes for lunch, and then zucchini and cheese quesadilla for dinner. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • 1. Parent Led.  We have been doing mostly purees and some fingers foods depending what we're making for the meal.  DD has now decided to reject purees, atleast while we were on vacation this past week, so we may be doing all finger foods soon. 

2. DD nursed morning and night, and had 3 4oz bottles.  She had tropical medly and green bean purees at daycare.  I was a bad mommy and didn't give solids for dinner last night, I was so busy settling from the trip that I didn't realize the time until DD reminded me it was bedtime!

BFP #1 August 2007, Lost Nov 2007, no heartbeat found at anatomy ultrasound at 19 wks
    BFP #2 March 2011, Baby Girl born November 2011!!!
  • imagemama&baby:

1. Are you doing baby led or going the parent led route? More parent led I guess. We have found that he responds best to a strict routine with his eating, so we do it more by time than anything else.

2. What did your LO eat yesterday? As usual, LO eats 6 ounces every 3 hours, so he is definitely not lacking in liquid nutrition (30 oz a day) . For breakfast he had a mum mum ( I had made him oatmeal as well but he with teething he's been picky, so that's all he got for breakfast). Lunch was some bits of chicken nuggets (he only ate a little bit, don't think he was fond of it) and cucumber slices (loved those). Dinner was the hotly debated sandwich and apple slices.

Haha I am a complete idiot and completely forgot the actual meaning of BLW. So yes, by definition we are doing baby led

• 1.  Are you doing baby led or going the parent led route? We're not strictly BLW & from what I gather from the bump posts about it-its either all or nothing on the matter. So I'm guessing I'm parent led. I base the times LO eats off of his cues. I do feed him solids when we eat(finger foods or purees).

2.  What did your LO eat yesterday? three 8oz bottles,whole jar of prune & apple puree, some of a grilled cheese sandwich

*LO usually has 32 oz of formula & another meal of solids(or would have had more when he ate the grilled cheese) but he was fussy yesterday & wasn't interested in food/formula.

Baby Boy #2 is on the way!

BabyFetus Ticker
  • 1. Baby led. 2. Around 30 oz of formula + half of a mini bagel with raspberry jam (mostly sucked the jam off) for bkfst, apple slice and waffle piece for lunch, and chicken with broccoli for dinner. She's been teething so she hasn't been too into eating food this week. I also gave her various frozen fruits in a mesh feeder to soothe her gums which she loves.
  •  1.  Are you doing baby led or going the parent led route? Both? I dont know2.  What did your LO eat yesterday? 6 bottles throughout the day. For dinner she ate some puffs she fed herself and a little bit of pureed turkey and sweet potatoes that i fed her. Then she threw a fit because she wanted some hamburger helper that i was eating so she ate some of that that i chopped onto smaller pieces. She fed herself some and i helped her some. It all depends on the day.I am all confused.  
  • jasnemjasnem member

1. Parent led For her meals, she starts with finger foods and then she has her purees (unthawed homemade cubes).

2. Nursed 6 times. For breakfast, she had a piece of melon and strawberry, some pear and plum puree, and a few puffs and yogurt bites. For dinner, she had an apple slice and a piece of melon and chicken puree mixed with carrot puree.

Eagerly awaiting the arrival of our Rainbow Baby after 2 early m/c.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• 1. BLW

2. Boob every two hours, then som Avocado, puffs, steak, macaroni, greek yogurt, peach throughout the day for meals.

• 1. We do both. DS mainly gets pur?es but he also gets BLW type foods. He's had tortilla, bell pepper, avocado, French fry, banana, etc.

2. Breakfast: oatmeal with banana pur?e. Lunch: carrot pur?e. Dinner: yogurt melts and mixed veggie pur?e. Plus his normal 5 bottles which are 6oz formula.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • 1. Well she mostly self feeds, but she isn't on 100% table foods yet and I do sometimes make her something just for her if we are eating something she can't have yet. So both?

2. Spoon-fed cereal for Breakfast, chunks of banana for lunch, and peas and boiled potato for supper. Also BM on demand. 

• 1. parent led. we feed him mostly homemade purees, some chunkier than others. 

2. breakfast: yogurt with apple/carrot puree, lunch: pureed zucchini, dinner: pureed cauliflower/broccoli with pear.  he drinks four 4oz bottles during the day plus i nurse him once in the morning and once before bed at night.... so i estimate he is drinking anywhere from 24-28 oz a day.

Just out of curiousity----for those whose babies are eating things like sandwiches, waffles etc... do they already have teeth or how are they actually doing this!? do they actually swallow or just gnaw on the food and spit it out?

• imagedsy:

1. parent led. we feed him mostly homemade purees, some chunkier than others. 

2. breakfast: yogurt with apple/carrot puree, lunch: pureed zucchini, dinner: pureed cauliflower/broccoli with pear.  he drinks four 4oz bottles during the day plus i nurse him once in the morning and once before bed at night.... so i estimate he is drinking anywhere from 24-28 oz a day.

Just out of curiousity----for those whose babies are eating things like sandwiches, waffles etc... do they already have teeth or how are they actually doing this!? do they actually swallow or just gnaw on the food and spit it out?

LO is just getting teeth now,  but we have been BLW for about 1.5 months. Sometimes I will notice LO sucking on his food to soften it, but he chews as well. I encourage you to stick (clean of course) fingers in your LO's mouth and let him bite down- you will be surprised at the power in those gums! It's practically like him having teeth!

• imagedsy:

1. parent led. we feed him mostly homemade purees, some chunkier than others. 

DD has 1 tooth that just came in over the weekend.  She gums things pretty good.  She swallows some and spits some out.

Molars are the teeth that are used for chewing and the first molars don't come in until after the first birthday for most babies and most babies are eating these types of things by then. 

~Working Mom~Breastfeeding Mom~Cloth Diapering Mom~BLW Mom~

Blog - No Longer on the DL ~ The Man Cave
    Shawn and Larissa
    LO #1 - Took 2 years and 2 IVFs ~ DX - severe MFI mild PCOS homozygous MTHFR (a1298c)
    LO #2 - TTC 7 months, surprise spontaneous BFP!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Parent Led. We've been trying purees/cereal since 4 months but DS2 wants nothing to do with it. Oatmeal, rice, sweet potatoes, carrots, applesauce, green beans, bananas, etc. He jerks his head away from all of it. I tried to give him a teeny tiny piece of bread last week and he coughed and gagged. Pedi said at our last appt to just keep trying, but I'm wondering if he might have some texture issues that we need to look into at his 9 month appointment.

This is totally different that how DS1 was-- he was gobbling up everything we put in his mouth from 4 months on, but I'm not worried. DS2 is growing, hitting his milestones, has a mouth full of teeth and is eating approximately 30oz of formula a day.

• Parent led.

She will take 3 to 4 8-oz bottles then eats around two jars/pouches of food and oatmeal. We haven't done homemade food lately because our freezer has been broken. Yesterday, she had whatever dcp felt like feeding her (we just send a lot at once and she chooses) then about half a pouch of Ella's Kitchen spinach/rutabaga/apple blend. Oh and a few of the green puffs.

• imagebeedawn:

1. We do both. DS mainly gets pur?es but he also gets BLW type foods. He's had tortilla, bell pepper, avocado, French fry, banana, etc.

2. Breakfast: oatmeal with banana pur?e. Lunch: carrot pur?e. Dinner: yogurt melts and mixed veggie pur?e. Plus his normal 5 bottles which are 6oz formula.

Those are called "finger foods".  Due to the nature of BLW you can't do it "with" something else. 

• 1.  Are you doing baby led or going the parent led route? I guess primarily parent-led. He's getting purees and some early soft/chopped up finger foods, but I will also give him some larger things that I know he would have a tough time choking on, like green beans or raw veggies or big chunks of melon.

2.  What did your LO eat yesterday? Toast sticks and halved raspberries for breakfast, squash puree for lunch, for dinner hummus, shredded cheese, and soft-cooked carrot pieces. Plus of course nursing and/or bottles at regular intervals.

Raising a threenager since 11/11
    Baby boy #2 due 5/6/15
  • 1. parent-led with solids, but still nursing on demand

2. At daycare DS had (2) 5oz bottles of breastmilk, 1 fruit puree, 1/2 veggie puree and 2 tbsp oatmeal. At home he nursed 5 times and we gave him some of what we were eating for dinner as finger foods (summer squash and pasta)

• imagesmilelari:

1.  Are you doing baby led or going the parent led route? Ours is kind of both. At first I was a little anxious about BLW and wanted to introduce new things slowly and LO didn't have the patience for it anyway. We're letting her feed herself more and more, and trying to encourage her.

2.  What did your LO eat yesterday? Let's see...cherry, corn and greek yogurt puree because we were out, lasagna puree-ish, and leftover purple carrot, pear and I can't remember what. Some yogurt and yogurt melts. BM more times than I care to count, must be a growth spurt.

• 1.  Are you doing baby led or going the parent led route? "Parent-led" though I think that is a stupid term for it and she decides when and what she wants to eat I just help her out.

24oz of formula, oatmeal + banana/apple/strawberry puree, avocado chunks, cheese, mixed veggie pureee

• 1.  Are you doing baby led or going the parent led route? I tried BLW and LO had a really hard time figuring out how to mash the food with his gums and gave up really quickly - getting bored with the food.  The only thing he really ate and did well with in terms of BLW was strawberries. LOVED THEM.  He's doing really well with babyfood (i make my own) and now he's starting to do well with whole bananas and avocado but a lot of times I still end up holding up chunks of food to his mouth for him to eat.  Still nursing just as much.

2.  What did your LO eat yesterday?  Nursed about 5 times. 1/2 an avocado. 2 cubes of sweet potato/carrot baby food.

Smilelari, how does LO self feed oatmeal? With a spoon?

• imageSparklyunicornstarfish:

1. BLW

2. Boob every two hours, then som Avocado, puffs, steak, macaroni, greek yogurt, peach throughout the day for meals.

Sparkly, you spelled "some" wrong. Get a dictionary.

• Apparently since (as a PP said) BLW is an all or nothing thing we are doing parent led.

Yesterday he ate about 20 oz in formula, puffs, oatmeal, grapes, blueberries, and spaghetti with meat sauce.

• imagesmilelari:

1.  Are you doing baby led or going the parent led route? Parent led.

2.  What did your LO eat yesterday? She had about 21oz of BM, about 2oz of oatmeal for breakfast and an oz of pears, and an oz of oatmeal for dinner.

• 1.  Are you doing baby led or going the parent led route? 

Both?  I don't know- this question doesn't really make sense to me.  I would say baby led, but we also do oatmeal and yogurt, plus I choose what and when she eats.  She's never had particularly strong hunger cues and she's on the small side, so I can't just wait around for her to act hungry.

Nursed once and 4 bottles of BM (totaling 21 oz), oatmeal, greek yogurt with mashed strawberries, red bell pepper strips, peaches.  I wasn't with her much yesterday because I was out of town in the evening.

• 1. Parent led route.

2. nursed in AM, 3 bottles BM, 1 bottle formula, ate 3 ice cubed purees of peachs at DCP, had 3 ice cubed purees of sweet potatoes with barley mixed in, then nursed at bedtime.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"