April 2012 Moms

Boston, MA Moms

We're planning on maybe taking a trip with the kids and my parents and I'm really not familiar with the area...we're likely staying at a Marriott as we have a friend that offers F&F discount forms...there is so many areas around Boston to stay in, just trying to find out what areas are safer to stay in...I had a friend that booked a hotel is a not so good part of Boston...and I'm trying to avoid that.  I'm looking at Hotels in Andover, Woburn, Burlington.

My DH and my dad are planning on going to watch a Red Sox game and we're hoping to make it to the aquarium, it's just a short weekend gateway, but any tips would be appreciated!

TIA

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Boston, MA Moms

• Is there are reason that you are planning to stay so far north and not in the city itself?
  • Those towns are pretty far outside the city so you will be spending a lot of time in the car. most are not t accessable either. i would pick marriot in cambridge or copley (back bay) - much more to do around there and centrally located and near t lines. 
    Kellen 4.27.12 Miller 6.30.13 Baby #3 edd 9.7.15
  • Loading the player...
  • imageCaronl:
    Is there are reason that you are planning to stay so far north and not in the city itself?

To be honest those are some of the hotels available for the rate, we don't want to be right in Boston itself, but near it enough that we might be able to take a commute by train or whatever...to be honest I really have no idea where to stay.  I had a friend that suggested Woburn North, Peabody and Danvers area... do you think those are handy to Boston itself?

• imageTeamHayes:
    Those towns are pretty far outside the city so you will be spending a lot of time in the car. most are not t accessable either. i would pick marriot in cambridge or copley (back bay) - much more to do around there and centrally located and near t lines. 

There was a few hotels available in those areas, but I wasn't sure thanks for the reply! :)

• Andover is a very nice suburb.  Woburn is meh....just a big city.

Boston does have a nice Aquarium and also a kids play museum that is quite lovely and really fun.  I LOVE the bubble room

https://bostonchildrensmuseum.org/

• imageMusiclover2012:

Andover is a very nice suburb.  Woburn is meh....just a big city.

Boston does have a nice Aquarium and also a kids play museum that is quite lovely and really fun.  I LOVE the bubble room

We do want to go into Boston, but enjoy the surroundings as well of where we are staying (eating/shopping), we're not really use to the traffic in Boston so we're trying to stay where we might be comfortable doing some driving around as well, and I think we'll take commuter trains into the city, driving in it makes me nervous! lol

• imageLoveTravel:
    imageMusiclover2012:

Andover is a very nice suburb.  Woburn is meh....just a big city.

We do want to go into Boston, but enjoy the surroundings as well of where we are staying (eating/shopping), we're not really use to the traffic in Boston so we're trying to stay where we might be comfortable doing some driving around as well, and I think we'll take commuter trains into the city, driving in it makes me nervous! lol

I hear ya, I HATE city driving.  Have fun!!!

• Hotel Marlowe in Cambridge is cool and it's next to the cambridgeside galleria. It's down the street from the t also... It's a pretty cool hotel and not that expensive. Burlington, Woburn etc. are near Boston but with traffic will take you about an hour to get there or more. Also, check out the Science Museum which is right near the hotel Marlowe too, which to me is better than the Aquarium... If you want something more on the outskirts in Newton there's Hotel Indigo, the train is right there too (Riverside Green line) and it's far enough from the city that you won't get involved in "Boston city" driving, it's highway accessible (Newton is one of the better towns in MA). So you could go towards Concord (Walden Pond Etc. ) or take the train into Boston.
    Oct1201212 Twins born at 34w2d, Allison, 3lb,4oz-Ethan, 4lb7oz, both 16 1/2 inches. Out of Difficulties Grow Miracles BestBuddiesBoy AprilPosseMultiLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • The Marriott in Woburn is located on Mishawum Rd, which is a stop on the Lowell Commuter.  From Mishawum stop to North Station is like 15 minutes. I live along the Lowell Commuter and used to work right next to that stop.  Woburn is a city but where this hotel is located is amongst many hotels and shopping plaza's. Its not a horrible area. I used to work in this area of town for a while and never had a problem.  Also right down the street is another stop on the Lowell Line called Anderson.  It might be a bit of a walk with little ones but you can hop a taxi and get there in under 5 minutes. 

Andover is a nice town and further North than Woburn.  But definitely a nice suburb.  You'd have to find a taxi or rent a car to go back and forth to different stops along the commuter rail.

Just my two cents!  Good luck and have fun in Boston!

• Would the Springhill Suites in Peabody be a good spot?  There are so many options and with all these methods of transportation I'm confused! lol  I live in a small city so mostly everyone gets around with their vehicule, but some take the bus...I'm trying to familiarize myself with the MBTA system...so I have half a clue on how to get to Fenway...

• Pretty sure you will be on the opposite side of the city if you stay in Peabody meaning you may have to take the red line then the green line etc. If Fenway is a must, Fenway is on the green line. So that hotel (the indigo one) is on that line. Look at the MBTA site for more info... What else are you looking to do? The North End is cool for italian food, bakeries and it's not far from Quincy Market. 
    Oct1201212 Twins born at 34w2d, Allison, 3lb,4oz-Ethan, 4lb7oz, both 16 1/2 inches. Out of Difficulties Grow Miracles BestBuddiesBoy AprilPosseMultiLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • imagesnoangel79:
    Pretty sure you will be on the opposite side of the city if you stay in Peabody meaning you may have to take the red line then the green line etc. If Fenway is a must, Fenway is on the green line. So that hotel (the indigo one) is on that line. Look at the MBTA site for more info... What else are you looking to do? The North End is cool for italian food, bakeries and it's not far from Quincy Market. 

Fenway is a must!  Basically I'd like to be in an area where we could easily get around (commute or walking), that is safe and within reach of eating areas and maybe shopping (not boutique shopping $$$) We're not going on a super tight budget, but I don't want to be paying a fortune to eat, especially considering we have both kids with us and same for hotel, I'm hoping to get the F&F Marriott for around or less than $100/night, if we weren't paying for my parents room I'd be willing to pay more...I'd like to visit the Quincy Market as well and perhaps the Aquarium or I know a few have mentioned neat places for kids....it might be worth it to pay a little extra and get a hotel on a specific line that we can easily understand on getting from point A to point B as I'm already stressing about it, I'd like to be as prepared as I can... :)

• I would actually strongly recommend staying in or closer to Boston. All the places you mention are pretty far and will be a pain to get in and out of Boston to do things. You don't need to drive in the city - take the T or taxis, or just walk - Boston itself is pretty small. Cambridge, newton, or brookline are also good options. Not directly in the city, but right next to it and on the T (to get to Fenway just take the T green line to Kenmore (any train) or the D train to the Fenway stop. Very easy. There is a courtyard Marriott in Brookline that you can walk to Fenway from (20 minute walk)
  • I'm on my phone now but can give you more info later if you want. Based on what you want (accessibility, lots of variety for eating, the places you want to go to in the city) I definitely say brookline or Cambridge, or Boston itself.
  • imageDevonPow:
    I'm on my phone now but can give you more info later if you want. Based on what you want (accessibility, lots of variety for eating, the places you want to go to in the city) I definitely say brookline or Cambridge, or Boston itself.

Thanks for all the information- I can get the Boston Marriott Newton for $99/night on Commonswealth Ave.?  I'll PM you my e-mail and we can go from there if you don't mind, I'd like to get as much information as I can so we can figure out which area will work best for our needs at the price we're looking at :)

• imageDevonPow:
    I'm on my phone now but can give you more info later if you want. Based on what you want (accessibility, lots of variety for eating, the places you want to go to in the city) I definitely say brookline or Cambridge, or Boston itself.
    i totally agree with the 3 towns mentioned. it may be a bit more $ for hotel but it will make up for all the time and train $ you will waste going back and forth to the outskirts. where are you visiting from?
    Kellen 4.27.12 Miller 6.30.13 Baby #3 edd 9.7.15
  • imageTeamHayes:
    imageDevonPow:
    i totally agree with the 3 towns mentioned. it may be a bit more $ for hotel but it will make up for all the time and train $ you will waste going back and forth to the outskirts. where are you visiting from?

From NB (Canada), we often cross over to go to Bangor and I've been twice in Boston passing thru on a bus (group) and I have been a few times going to visit my great-aunt in Springfield, but we've always just gone past Boston, execpt for this one time my mom took the wrong exit and we ended up downtown lol  Anyhow  I'm really not familiar with the surrounding areas, as you can see! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"