Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

Sleep / soothing question

My son is 6 1/2 months old and has slept an 8 hour stretch one time.  Most nights he is getting up at least once to nurse, sometimes (recently) twice.  Usually his long stretch is maybe 6 hours, although recently it's been 4.  Anyway, my concern is that maybe he doesn't know how to soothe himself back to sleep.  Often, when I go in to him, he is on his back (he is a belly sleeper) and he is screaming (he does NOT like to sleep on his back).  Anyway, every night before bedtime, I nurse him (so he goes longer til next feeding) and he falls asleep.  I've been told you should lay them down when they are drowsy but not asleep.  Which, sometimes that happens and he often does go to sleep.  And for his naps, sometimes that happens too and he does go to sleep then.  But most of the time, he falls asleep nursing.  Should I be trying to change the bedtime routine to get him to fall asleep on his own more often?  Is it so strange that he is not sleeping through the night yet without eating in the middle?  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Sleep / soothing question

• Options
    Also, i have tried just putting him back on his belly to sleep... which makes him even more mad.  And when i go to nurse him at night... he is rooting like crazy... like I can't even get my shirt pulled up in time and he is trying to nurse...  so I guess that makes me think he is genuinely hungry...  ?

• Options
    lol.  I guess I'm not the only one that isn't certain what to do. :)  I'm realizing it seems like  a lot of mom's are having the same issue.  I guess just knowing we're in it together... and it will end... someday :)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm having the same issues.  My son is exactly 29weeks and I'm still getting up at least twice a night to either give him his binky or nurse.  I know I'm not producing much anymore, so I'm trying to give him a full 6oz bottle before bed and that still seems to not work.  I find myself bringing him into bed with me to nurse and we both fall asleep, sometimes he sleeps better with me.  I have a 4yr old that wakes in the middle of the night and tries to come into bed with my husband and I.  When I wake in the am, I find the baby and I in my bed and my husband in the 4yr old's bed :)  FUN!!!
  • Options
    dyg201dyg201 member
    DS will be 6 mo next Monday. We recently implemented CIO bc he wouldn't go back down after nursing. Now he does most times without crying, but, I'm still nursing to sleep and nursing back to sleep 2-3x per night. Ferbers book says he definitely doesn't need night feedings any more and to stop them you should increase his waiting time to eat by a half hour each night until there are no more night feedings. sounds like a battle I'm not ready for yet...I keep hoping he will stop on his own...maybe when we start solids....maybe... :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

A 6 month old can go the night without eating.  Since your LO falls asleep at the breast that is what he knows is an effective sleep aid.  So when he involuntarily wakes, he needs his sleep aid.   If you feed right before bedtime, feed him until he is drowsy and his swallowing slows (usually when you get that nibbling sucking instead of deep pulls). 

I would recommend not feeding him past a certain hour no matter how often he wakes or just cutting him off cold turkey.  Of course, he is going to need someway to soothe himself back to sleep without your nipple.  You can start by holding him and giving him a paci or a lovey.  Remember, not too much interaction or it will turn into playtime and he won't go back down. 

I just cut my daughter off and gave her her paci and cuddling.  She protested the first two nights but then was ok.  Now we are down to just pats while she's in her crib and no waking up past 10:30 pm

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"