Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

What bedroom situation would you do? Clicky

My family and I are moving into a new house soon.  The house has 4 bedrooms: 2 upstairs and 2 downstairs.  There is a full bath downstairs and a half bath upstairs.  All of the rooms are pretty similar in size, although the 2 upstairs are a tad bigger.  Right now we live in a one-story 3 BR house and each girl has their own room.  I've never lived in a 2 story house with kids before, so I'm wondering if we should keep them both downstairs or upstairs.Should we put them both in their own rooms upstairs or downstairs?  Have them share a room?  We'd like to make one of the 4 rooms a playroom.  We were thinking of making one of the upstairs rooms ours and the other one the girls'.  Then downstairs being playroom and the other a spare room/office, but that isn't totally necessary.  

This shouldn't be that difficult, but I wanted to get some opinions before we decide (so we can paint and decorate!).  What would you ladies do?  TIA! 

[Poll]

Re: What bedroom situation would you do? Clicky

• rcbukorcbuko member
    I voted to have both girls downstairs sharing a room but that's because I am crazy about safety and would want them on the same level as me (I'm normally a pretty laid back parent with other things).  If my bedroom was upstairs, I would want the girls in a shared room upstairs with me.  Our girls have separate rooms right now but will share once DD2 turns two.  Shared rooms can be a blast for the kids.  Good luck with whatever you decide.  
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers mc #1 2/17/06 mc#2 8/3/06 mc #3 9/7/09
  • I would either have the girls share a room upstairs (as I voted), with your room next to them, or have girls in separate rooms upstairs. I wouldn't have my kids alone downstairs until they were much older, because I'm paranoid. Also, I'm a tad lazy in the middle of the night and would hate to be running up and down during sick nights, nightmares, teething, or whatever else.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I would have them share a room on whatever floor you're on.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagebdutton0005:
    I would have them share a room on whatever floor you're on.

This. Also very paranoid! Plus I think it will be easier when it's bedtime and so on.

• We have 3 bedrooms upstairs and our master downstairs. I love having my master downstairs. I keep a few of the kids clothes in my room and we do all the baths downstairs/keep toothbrushes, potty, etc in our bathroom. I never have to run up and down stairs all day. We have a gate at the top and bottom of the stairs. We've never had an issue and both of them moved into their own rooms at 6w. Each room has a monitor and video monitor.
  • imagebdutton0005:
    I would have them share a room on whatever floor you're on.

This exactly.  I live in a house that is three main floors and a basement (which is finished - we use as family room).  I am totally thinking of moving DD#2 in with DD#1 on the same floor as us.  I am paranoid about a fire, break-in or (God forbid) something along those lines and I am sick and tired of trekking up and down the stairs in the middle of the night for DD#2 when she's sick, teething, etc.  Keep them on the same floor as you for now using one of the other rooms a play room and as they get older and would want their personal space, you can nix the playroom as they won't need it anymore and give them their own rooms.

• I would have them share upstairs and have my room upstairs as well then use the downstairs rooms for playroom and office.  I think that makes the most sense.
  • I would probably start with the girls sharing a room on the same floor that you and DH are on.  I would go into that knowing that when they got older maybe they would want to split and then you could move one into what had been the playroom.

My parents house has 4 bedrooms  - 3 up and one down. I was 7 when we moved in  - my younger brothers were 5 & 1.  They had the boys share a room for the first year and a half while youngest brother was still in the crib and used the downstairs bedroom as a playroom.  When the boys got olders and had to be seperated (they were too silly together) - I moved downstairs and the rest of the family upstairs. 

The bathroom situation has me puzzled on which way you should go.  If there was a full bath upstairs I would say use that for the bedrooms - that way if you were pressed for time on cleaning for company you could just ignore the whole floor. That is kind of how I looked at it when we lived in a two story.

• If it was me, I'd have both girls in their own rooms upstairs and have one of the downstairs rooms a play room. But I wouldn't have need for a home office, so if that is something that is priority to you then obviously do what you need to do. I wouldn't feel comfortable having my children downstairs by themselves if I had an upstairs bedroom. Heck, I hardly am comfortable with my baby in her room across the hall from mine! I get a little paranoid about that. Also, when they get older its harder for them to sneak out if they have to go down stairs passed your room! lol
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I voted, daughters share a room upstairs and I think you should be on the same floor with them..1) Because of the paranoia and 2) You mentioned those rooms were slightly bigger and if they are sharing a room (especially after being used to having their own space) it may be best to put them both in a room thats as big as possible. Plus, you deserve to have your master bedroom be one of the bigger rooms of the house! So everyone upstairs...that way, during the day when you are all downstairs, you can also keep an eye on them while they play in the designated room on the first floor. If you don't want to turn the 4th room into an office, it can be a spare room for guests and it might be best to have guests on a different floor than the rest of the family OR it can be a possible nursery in the future for baby #3! =]
  • The crazy worried about safety part of me would want them upstairs as that feels the safest and gives them their own space.  I like mom and dad downstairs. I feel like it gives mom and dad their own space as well as providing a barrier to the crazies (in my head Indifferent) that could enter.  Yes, my mind went there because I'm morbid like that.
  • I'd put both girls in their own rooms upstairs, put a playroom and master downstairs. The majority of my day is spent coming and going from the kitchen (which I assume is on your 1st floor) so I'd prefer to have everyone downstairs with me playing during the day then up they go at night. Then you and DH have the entire downstairs to yourselves.
  • This is pretty much our exact situation--we have 2 kids close in age, only 2BR on our main floor so to put them in separate bedrooms means putting one of them on a different floor. I would hate to have to travel to a different floor when dealing with middle of the night wakings. When they are older if they express interest in having their own room we will most definitely separate them, but for the immediate future this works well.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"