1st Trimester

Worried about weight gain or lack there of...

Hi All!

So my pre-pregnancy specs were 5'11 3/4", 212 lbs, my bra size was 34 DD and proportioned very well. Now I'm 11 weeks pregnant and I'm still the same height however weighing 210 lbs with a bra size of 38 E, with a little room in the bra to grow. I've been very blessed to have not suffered from morning sickness and/or nausea and have had food aversions here and there. According to most charts I'm "overweight" and should gain 15-25 lbs throughout my whole pregnancy however loosing weight makes me a little nervous. I have not begun my swim classes as I'm waiting for the miscarraige rate to drop in my second trimester but WTH! Don't get me wrong I don't want to gain weight but I don't to harm my baby. Any advice?

Re: Worried about weight gain or lack there of...

• Hey there - I'm no doc but have had 3 children all three pregnancies were different and turned out to be healthy babies with no complications - I have a 7y 3y and 1m old.... My most recent pregnancy I only gained 6 pounds - gave birth to a healthy baby girl weighing 7 pounds 3 ounces -  do not worry about losing or gaining your doctor will let you know I'f there is a reason to be concerned - just make sure you ae eating healthy and well balanced to give baby proper nutrients - I was back to pre pregnancy weight 5 days post partum- it was a blessing in disguise :) baby will steal what he or she needs to get healthy

I wish you all the best with your pregnancy - I do have a blog for parents - I think you could benefit from it - it's  new2clothn.blogspot.com  check it out :) 

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Most things I've read say there is no reason at gain weight in the first trimester.  Maybe you are eating better because you know you are pregnant and hence lost a little bit of weight?  I wouldn't worry about 2 lbs, as long that the U/S shows everything is normal with the baby.
  • Loading the player...
  • I was only slightly overweight with my last pregnancy, but I lost 7-8 pounds in first tri and gain a total of 20 the whole time. Don't stress, the baby will take what it needs. I may have referred to DD as a parasite a few times while pregnant :)
  • losing a few pounds isn't a big deal. also, swimming is fine unless you have a particular reason not to do it. it won't cause a miscarriage.
    Missed m/c found @ 10 weeks - May 2010
    Missed m/c found @ 10.5 weeks - August 2012
  • Losing weight isn't uncommon throughout pregnancy. I weigh a little less than you and my doctor only wants me to gain 15 total. So far, I've lost 10-12 and she's not concerned. 
  • I wouldn't worry either.  I had a few women in my last pg group who were overweight to start and didn't end up gaining much if anything during their pg.  A lot of times, I've read, that overweight women end up losing weight during pg because they are making healthier eating choices, and then when the baby gets bigger and starts pushing up on the stomach, it's limits portions.  As long as you're eating a reasonable amount of calories a day (like you aren't starving yourself), I don't think there is a problem with it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I lost 8 lbs due to morning sickness in the first trimester with DS. I gained a average amount throughout the rest of my pregnancy. Two weeks after birth, I weighted less than my pre-pregnancy weight. DS was 7 lb 15 oz and is healthy!

Maybe you've made better health choices. Have you cut off soda or coffee? That could explain some weight loss.

5.18.11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker EDD 3.12.13
  • In the OB world we don't expect the weight gain to start in the first trimester. Weight does often drop in the beginning of your pregnancy. Also weight gain is only one way we track how well you are supporting your babe. As long as you have the appropriate calorie intake don't be too concerned. I have taken care of over-wieght women with gestational diabetes that had to work so hard on their diet to control their sugars that they only lost weight durning their pregnancy, and they had healthy babies. (Now these are extreme cases.) Go to your swim classes, they are healthy for you baby. If your OB has any concern about your weight they WILL let you know. As long as you are not trying to limit your caloric intake or starting a rigorous exercise program you are fine. Try not to stress

• I probably gained about 5-7 lbs with my son, and that was on a VERY restricted diet as I am a type 2 diabetic.  This go around I've actually lost 3 pounds thus far.  Every pregnancy is different and your doctor will let you know what works and what doesn't.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Kie310Kie310 member
    I'm 15 weeks & have lost 5 lbs at this point. My doc says I now need to start worrying about gaining, don't need to gain the 1st tri at all.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have the same thoughts. I 'm only 7 weeks along, and I keep worrying I'm going to gain a lot of weight and miscarry.  There are two reasons for my worry.  One, I had a friend miscarry and she was completely healthy.  Two, I was told it happens to 1 in 4 pregnancies!!  I lost 35 lbs. since my last pregnancy, 2 yrs. ago and it does scare me to gain weight.  But, miscarrying is a lot scarier!!  Although, I did not realize I was pregnant with our first child until I was 28 weeks along, so hopefully this baby is just as tough!  Especially since there will be a easier ride.  I'm so surprised that our son is so perfect, considering I was not taking prenatal vitamins, i drank alcohol (socially), drank lots and lots of coffee, cleaned with fumes, and took asprin!  Thank God he survived!!  

Although, he is a Lawrinson and part me, that might explain why he's so tough!!  

• Oh yeah, I forgot.  The prenatal doctor scolded me almost every week, for not being able to gain the amount he wanted me to.  Annoying!  I still don't know how I could of eaten anymore!  Not looking forward to that.  But, as I said, I had a prefect boy!
  • imageCharannLyn:

I have the same thoughts. I 'm only 7 weeks along, and I keep worrying I'm going to gain a lot of weight and miscarry.  There are two reasons for my worry.  One, I had a friend miscarry and she was completely healthy.  Two, I was told it happens to 1 in 4 pregnancies!!  I lost 35 lbs. since my last pregnancy, 2 yrs. ago and it does scare me to gain weight.  But, miscarrying is a lot scarier!!  Although, I did not realize I was pregnant with our first child until I was 28 weeks along, so hopefully this baby is just as tough!  Especially since there will be a easier ride.  I'm so surprised that our son is so perfect, considering I was not taking prenatal vitamins, i drank alcohol (socially), drank lots and lots of coffee, cleaned with fumes, and took asprin!  Thank God he survived!!  

Although, he is a Lawrinson and part me, that might explain why he's so tough!!  

Huh? 1 in 4 pregnancies do end in miscarriage but it's not 1 in 4 due to weight.  

• I lost 9 lbs in my first trimester due to morning sickness, then I had to gain it back so I didn't really start gaining for the baby until my 3rd trimester. The baby will be fine.  I suggest the Brewer's Diet.  It's a high protein diet that is really good for baby.  My midwives think that's why my placenta and umbilical cord were really thick.
    imageimageimage

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker      

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"