Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

1 year lost weight

I just took my daughter to the doctor for her 12 month visit and she is in the 10 percent for height and weight. The doctor said she would not be concerned if she hadn't lost weight (she lost weight; 1 pound from 3 months ago). She told me to add more fat to her diet. No juice. Just milk and water. No more bottles which is ok because she was basically off them anyway. She said an example of more fat would be adding a scoop of butter when cooking her eggs. If she doesn't gain any weight or anything in a month she has to get bloodwork done. 

What do you guys think about that? Do you have any other ideas on how to add more fat to her diet?

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: 1 year lost weight

• Could just be that LO is more mobile. Another good source of fat that my kids love is avocado. GL!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Oh cool thats a good idea thanks!!
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't really follow when doctors tell people to fatten their kids up with butter, it just seems like there are better fats to use and better sources of calories.  Like full fat cheeses, full fat yogurt, avocados, and roasting vegetables with olive oil.  I found a variety of ways to incorporate more of these things into his diet by getting him to dip his fruit into yogurt, dipping crackers into hummus or guacamole.  

I also agree with PP that she might just be getting more mobile so she needs more calories than before.  If you aren't already doing snacks between all meals and before bed, maybe you could give that a try too.  At 12 months I was offering him a snack between each meal, so he was eating every 2 hours roughly.

GL!

image image

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Yes I do agree with the mobile thing. And snacks I was just giving her puffs so i guess that won't do too much as much as fat; she burns that running around in 5 seconds.
  • imagejmurphy1864:
    Yes I do agree with the mobile thing. And snacks I was just giving her puffs so i guess that won't do too much as much as fat; she burns that running around in 5 seconds.

Yeah, there isn't much to puffs.  We never used them, I just gave him Cheerios or cubes of cheese for on-the-go snacks.  Now he's into anything that is a cracker.

image image

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Try offering her higher fat/ more calorie dense snacks.  We are also working on putting more weight on.  I make my son an avocado and hummus sandwich every day for lunch.  Bananas are a good snack.  Full fat yogurt and cheese are easy snacks.  
  • imageCopperT0p:

I don't really follow when doctors tell people to fatten their kids up with butter, it just seems like there are better fats to use and better sources of calories.  Like full fat cheeses, full fat yogurt, avocados, and roasting vegetables with olive oil.  I found a variety of ways to incorporate more of these things into his diet by getting him to dip his fruit into yogurt, dipping crackers into hummus or guacamole.  

I also agree with PP that she might just be getting more mobile so she needs more calories than before.  If you aren't already doing snacks between all meals and before bed, maybe you could give that a try too.  At 12 months I was offering him a snack between each meal, so he was eating every 2 hours roughly.

GL!

ITA. There are much better fats and calorie-dense foods than butter! Snacks at this age should be more than just puffs. Here are some examples of calorie dense foods:

Carbohydrates and Oils

Calorie dense starches include potatoes, pasta, bagels, bread, rice and beans. Fruit juice is a calorie dense simple carbohydrate. Fruits are more calorie dense than most green, leafy vegetables. Additionally, all kinds of oils, peanut and other nut butters are calorie dense but they provide necessary vitamins and minerals for the body. The same can be said for avocados and bananas.

Calorie Dense Protein

Full-fat meats and cheeses, salami and pepperoni are calorie dense foods. Even lean cuts of meat are calorie dense. A normal portion size of protein is about 3 oz., or the size of a deck of cards. Other sources of calorie dense protein include over-the-counter protein supplement powders.

Read more: https://www.livestrong.com/article/28482-list-calorie-dense-foods/#ixzz20WiYTBkM

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Was she drinking a lot of milk? At one point when DS was younger he was drinking too much milk and not eating enough.  The pedi told us to cut back on the milk a d sure enough DS ate more food.

If that is not the case, you can also try to have your DD drink more calories by making smoothies/milk shakes with full fat yogurt and/or ice cream.  My kids LOVE smoothies as snacks in between meals.  My kids also love shredded cheese, homemade pizza, chips and hummus, guacamole... All which have healthy fats

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • MrsDLMrsDL member

imagesaturdaynightdoubletree:
    Could just be that LO is more mobile. Another good source of fat that my kids love is avocado. GL!

Ditto - DS loves avocado and it's healthy fat, a bit healthier than extra butter. If she's not allergic - peanut butter is another healthier higher fat item.

• My DD has basically remained the same since her 1 year visit.  Maybe gained 2 lbs.  At her 15 month appointment they ordered bloodwork and everything game back ok.  We will see what her 2 year checkup looks like next month.  I was concerned because my niece has a growth hormone deficiancy.  She is 9 and weights 45 lbs.  As long as your kid eats I wouldn't be concerned.  My niece, DOES NOT EAT AT ALL!  I think she has some kind of selective eating disorder.  I am not to concerned about my DD because she eats, she's picky but she eats.  I wouldn't worry, just do what they tell you to.  They will probably do the bloodwork and put your LO through all that for nothing jut like they did my DD.  As long as everything else seems ok, she is meeting her milestones etc. I wouldn't worry about it.
  • imageCopperT0p:

I don't really follow when doctors tell people to fatten their kids up with butter, it just seems like there are better fats to use and better sources of calories.  Like full fat cheeses, full fat yogurt, avocados, and roasting vegetables with olive oil.  I found a variety of ways to incorporate more of these things into his diet by getting him to dip his fruit into yogurt, dipping crackers into hummus or guacamole.  

GL!

All of this. 

5.18.11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker EDD 3.12.13
  • DD has had weight gaining issues, which now seem to be behind us.  But we were told butter or olive oil in foods.  I often roast veggies in olive oil for her.  I also give her whole milk full fat yogurt and cheese.  Avocado is also great.  
  • D's weight was low at his 12-month and they went ahead and ordered the bloodwork (he basically went from 50th% to 5th% in his 1st yr... but he's a super-active, EBF kid).

Anyway, labs came back slightly anemic, so I have started making eggs with spinach for breakfast almost every morning. Focusing on feeding him more, and making sure there was some iron in his food every day seemed to have an immediate impact (from my mom-scale perspective). Even if your LO isn't anemic, some iron wouldn't hurt. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"